• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did it right, or wrong? (This should be interesting)

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Its all true except "Never point the gun at something you dont want to destroy"

I think it should be "Only point the gun at something if you are defending yourself or shooting targets"

That's the same thing. "never point the gun at something you dont want to destroy" is quite clear.
    If a person is a threat to you then point your gun at that person, if not dont point your gun at that person.
    Simple enough.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    That's the same thing. "never point the gun at something you dont want to destroy" is quite clear.
    If a person is a threat to you then point your gun at that person, if not dont point your gun at that person.
    Simple enough.

The variation I was taught is "Never point the gun at anything you are not PREPARED to destroy". Subtle variation, but how I was taught.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    OP, I think you did the right thing. As others have said, you don't know whether he was armed or not, nor did you give him the opportunity to prove it. You're not looking for a duel, you want to catch him off guard and put the situation in your favor, which you clearly did.

Never hurts to put some fear into the minds of criminals, either. Maybe next time the BG and his buddies will think before trying this stunt again.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    You had eyepro on too, correct OP?

I mean, everyone on INGO knows that if you have a gun out you need your eyepro on! If you didn't, you're about to be ripped a new one... finger on the trigger while someone was trying to rob you and no eyepro? :):

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Actually, I'm curious as well. Not because I have any intention of second guessing you, but for my own learning. The very first time I unholstered for what I thought might be self-defense purposes I found myself with a very good sight picture, a round in the chamber, a very steady hand...and a magazine in the dirt at my feet. I had inadvertently ejected it by having poor thumb placement and a very tight grip. I'm glad I learned it in a situation that turned out to not be life threatening, as I would have had one round, and one round only to defend myself with had it been necessary. You did good. I'm glad you didn't have to shoot him. How did you dig your phone out and dial 911 while holding your gun ready? Just reading your story made me realize that I haven't really got a well practiced plan to do that.
    What did you do when you saw the magazine at your feet? Do you carry a spare magazine? If so, did it cross your mind to reload with it?

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Have you actually tried drawing your gun in a car????? OMG it is extremely hard and cannot be done very fast!

The choices i made were justified and i did nothing wrong. People who carry a gun and aren't prepared to draw on someone trying to rob them should never be allowed to carry a gun because it is pointless.. I was not about to be one of those horror stories were someone was robbed then killed. It is much better to draw when unneeded then not to draw and then need it when it's to late.
    You did well, the perp is lucky you didn't shoot him, that shows that you had adequate control of your firearm. :yesway:

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The Jeff Cooper rule 3:
    Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

The NRA rule 2:
    ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

---

When it comes time to pull your weapon against a threat, I'm going with Jeff Cooper.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That guy ticked me off with his comment about it not being a "clip" clip and mag are generally the same thing, THEY BOTH HOLD BULLETS!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Well, actually they aren't. Just because a lot of people use them interchangeably does not make them the same thing. They are two very different devices. You use a clip to load a magazine but you cannot load a clip from a magazine. A magazine can be fixed or removable, a clip is not part of the gun but is used to load the magazine. I didn't say anything at the time because it was pretty clear that wasn't the thrust of your posting, but it's not a simple pedantic argument. Like a wheel and a tire are two different things but most people use them interchangeably, until you go into a tire shop where they will be happy to clarify which you actually want.

Top Bottom