I want to get netflix, but I'm a netflix noob, I need help...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I want to get netflix, but I'm a netflix noob, I need help...Updated

***UPDATE***
    Last night my wife and I stopped at Sam's club to grab a few things. We decided to just check out the Blu-ray players. Found a Vizio VMR231 blu-ray play with built in dual-band wifi for $129. That is by far the cheapest web/netflix compatible Blu-ray player with built in wifi I was able to find. I don't really need the built-in wifi but, I wanted it as a JIC feature. Other features are basically the same as all other BR players, upconverts DVDs etc, but this one included the HDMI cable as well (saved a few bucks). We decided to buy it, and I would check out the reviews when I got home (could always return it unopened). Amazon reviews are about 50/50 some like it, some hate it. The most common gripe people had with it was the buttons on the remote aren't soft-touch buttons, they actually make an audible click as you press down firmly on them. I like that feature so there are no "oops" moments while watching a movie etc. Another common gripe was that it loads slowly. I decided to give it a try, and hooked it up. First I tried a dvd (don't have any BRs), and I didn't have any problem with it loading slowly. So we decided to give netflix a try; I signed up for my free trial of netflix and within 10 minutes had everything setup, and my wife added one of her favorite shows to the queue and we were off, watching "Ace of Cakes":( I'm not a fan of that show, but I let her watch... because she is my loving wife... and because what happened later made up for it. :D

Overall, I think I'm going to like netflix. Other than the purchase price of the BR player, our monthly cost is going to be approximately the same. -$22 for comcast cable and +$7.99 for netflix + ~$10 for upgraded net speed. Watching last night with my 768k net speed the video quality was a little better than a youtube video; I'm hoping that will improve drastically with upgraded net service.

Ok, so I know that the video is streamed live through 1 of many different devices. The only problem is that I don't have any of those devices other than a PC. I have a TV with a RGB PC connection. We've used that before to watch movies from the computer. The problem with that though is that the picture quality is "acceptable" and the audio quality coming from the head-phone jack is horrible. I don't look at it as an ideal option.

The streaming video players start at $59.99 for the Roku.

I know there are other options out there, but for a person on a budget, what is the cheapest? Is there a better way to get video/audio from my laptop to the tv? Or are there other products on the market that are a better bang for your buck?

I know there are some blu-ray players that will stream netflix as well, but I don't particularly care to get into blu-rays that much. Should I just bite the bullet and get a blu-ray player anyways?

Any other recommendations? My wife and I aren't really glued to the TV, but we do like to have it on while we're home in the evenings.

Last edited:

bouncerclub

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Personally I use my PS3 most of the time but I have a Blue ray player that I use in my bedroom that will also get Netflix. When I work out of town (have an apartment 8 months out of the year somewhere else) I use my laptop hdmi cable and no sound issues.

If I were in your shoes and not a gamer (thus the PS3 isnt cost effective) I would go with a Blue rayer player that has the netflix compatible. The bonus is its only a matter of time before you'd switch to blue ray anyway. Unless your still only doing VCR and not DVDs =p... Id not suggest buying Bluerays But when you rent even redbox has them now. I think you could get a Good Bray player for less than 150. Just be careful one that I bought showed netflix but I had to buy an adapter to make it wireless to my wifi to watch netflix without running a cable to it.

bouncerclub

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The Roku devices are pretty good bang for the buck. You can stream Netflix on the Wii (pretty decent interface) and PS3 and Xbox360. Samsung BluRay players and many other have the NetFlix interface as well.

I love Pandora on my Palm Pre and use it occationally on the Roku or Samsung BluRay.

We current only have streaming on Netflix. Great for watching old shows you never saw and the selection is continuously improving. We only have broadcast TV, so it helps with entertainment if we ever want to sit down for something.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I use a Roku and its great. But there are now a ton of devices out there. The Roku only streams the video from certain channels associated with Roku. You might be better off getting one of the newer devices like a Blu-Ray player that can stream a better variety of content.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Before you subscribe:

Buzz is that Netflix will be getting completely out of the mail-order DVD stuff and go only online streaming.

I'm not at all familiar with PC to TV interfaces... Nor Roku.

But probably the least expensive extra device (aside from either of the above two avenues?) would be to buy a BlueRay with the appropriate connectivity or to buy a Wii.

Keep in mind, though, that the Wii does NOT have any kind of HDMI interface available. It's either Component, RCA, or LAN. I don't know that the streaming movies are of high enough quality to need anything more than RCA or Component...

If money flowed like water at my house, I'd probably buy a PS3. Not for the games...I hardly play the Wii that I do have. But you get a nice BlueRay player AND a top-notch gaming console in one. And the PS3 has HDMI.

-J-

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    For what it is worth, the Netflix interface on the Roku is worlds better then the interface on the Samsung BluRay. Also, many more services available.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Buzz is that Netflix will be getting completely out of the mail-order DVD stuff and go only online streaming.
    That's still a few years off. They're not going to jump into that arena before the DVD segment becomes a losing proposition. They still have loads of subscribers that prefer DVD's. Add into that that the quality of their streams still needs to improve a bit more, too. We've still got some time left.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a question for you Netflix guys. I live in the sticks so I'm very fortunate that I have DSL at all but I'm limited to about 800 kb. I'm signed up for 1.5 mb but I'm 4.5 miles line length from their hub so I can't get any faster than what I currently have. Is that a sufficient speed to stream Netflix? When I watch a show on CBS's website, it will break up on me some. Is Netflix something that I can download and then watch later? I have a blue ray player that is netflix compatible.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    We use our PS3 for playing bluray and dvd's more than playing games. If you use the PS3 for movies get the remote...it is easier to use than the controller. The PS3 also has the ability to network to your computer and play movies from there.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a question for you Netflix guys. I live in the sticks so I'm very fortunate that I have DSL at all but I'm limited to about 800 kb. I'm signed up for 1.5 mb but I'm 4.5 miles line length from their hub so I can't get any faster than what I currently have. Is that a sufficient speed to stream Netflix? When I watch a show on CBS's website, it will break up on me some. Is Netflix something that I can download and then watch later? I have a blue ray player that is netflix compatible.
    I'm not sure if your speed is up to it. You could at least sign up for one of their free trials and try it out. That's how I'd go. At the very least you have access to a truly huge DVD library. They also do Blu-Rays, as I recall.

bouncerclub

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Horn Netflix will buffer about 5-10 minutes ahead but doesnt load whole movie. Im really not sure if you'd have problems or not once it buffers for you. I THINK that it adjusts for you on its own and your buffer would just take longer than mine for example.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

You can't download. It is always streaming. Netflix offers 5 video levels. Top is HD (720p-ish). That requires 3 Mb to be stable without buffering. 1.5 Mb is the top SD (regular TV level). Then there are 3 levels below that.

You will be able to stream it, and it will adjust to your connection, but the quality will suffer. Lowest level looks like a crappy YouTube video.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm not sure if your speed is up to it. You could at least sign up for one of their free trials and try it out. That's how I'd go. At the very least you have access to a truly huge DVD library. They also do Blu-Rays, as I recall.

BluRays are a small premium. However, I found that to be worth it before we went 100% streaming plan. BluRay users seem to be more careful and you rarely get a completely wrecked BlulRay, as I often had with DVDs.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Netflix will be done mailing DVD's by the end of the year. It costs them about 20 cents to stream a movie and over $3.00 to mail out and get back. It will also depend on what the movie houses decide to do to Netflix as far as licensing fees in the coming year. They don't get that stuff for free.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    That's still a few years off. They're not going to jump into that arena before the DVD segment becomes a losing proposition. They still have loads of subscribers that prefer DVD's. Add into that that the quality of their streams still needs to improve a bit more, too. We've still got some time left.

I don't see Netflix giving up the DVD's anytime soon. They just keep raising the subscription rates, they raised them again this month. I will stick with Netflix because the turn around is fast. I used the BlockBuster mail subscription for DVD's and it totally sucked. I will stick with Netflix as long as they can turn a DVD around as fast as they do.

The Netflix streaming is excellent and I'm guessing about half the content is in HD. And the Netfilx system is always up. I have tried to stream from Amazon.com in HD (through Roku) and can't. I have a 7Mbps bandwidth and have to settle for standard quality from Amazon.

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.

Though it may work to some degree, you will certainly not be happy with the quality of the picture with that connection speed.

I have a 1.5Mbs connection and streaming Netflix looks lousy on my main TV. The only place I will watch it is in the bedroom. The picture looks OK on a small old crt from ~15 feet away.

Top Bottom