I want to get netflix, but I'm a netflix noob, I need help...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sorry about the lack of an update and/or answers to questions.

My tv does have HDMI (2 of them in fact), it's just my laptop doesn't so I don't think I could use my laptop as a means to stream the video and still maintain good quality (at least not on the audio).

I think we may just get a blu-ray for the family room and a roku for the bedroom at a later time.

Money isn't "tight" but I like to watch what I spend, especially on luxury items like this. My wife and I decided to drop cable service (comcast upped their rates again) and just get netflix.

Monetarily, it's pretty much going to be a wash because we'll need to increase our internet speed and the cost of the netflix as well. But we'll probably see an increase in service quality (movies as well as shows/series etc).

To answer the questions regarding net speed, I was told on the phone today that 3-5 MB is best if you don't want to lose quality. I'm hoping 3 MB service from AT&T isn't going to cost too much more. I'll have to call them.

But for now, it's off to bed, going skiing tomorrow. It's my wife's first time skiing!!!:rockwoot::rockwoot: Maybe by the end of the day I'll teach her how to ski backwards? :dunno:

acase20

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    Jay County
    my br cost about 100 and it streams netflix but i can only watch videos that i have put on my instants stream query...but the quality is good....now i can pick movies on my computer for it or pick off my xbox360 or my wifes wii and the quality to watch on ether of those is very good. But I prefer the format of the 360 over the wii and it lets you search for movies and tv shows.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Before you subscribe:

Buzz is that Netflix will be getting completely out of the mail-order DVD stuff and go only online streaming.

I'm not at all familiar with PC to TV interfaces... Nor Roku.

But probably the least expensive extra device (aside from either of the above two avenues?) would be to buy a BlueRay with the appropriate connectivity or to buy a Wii.

Keep in mind, though, that the Wii does NOT have any kind of HDMI interface available. It's either Component, RCA, or LAN. I don't know that the streaming movies are of high enough quality to need anything more than RCA or Component...

If money flowed like water at my house, I'd probably buy a PS3. Not for the games...I hardly play the Wii that I do have. But you get a nice BlueRay player AND a top-notch gaming console in one. And the PS3 has HDMI.

-J-

We use our wii and a wireless router it works great:popcorn:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    your wireless may be some of the problem..
    I have an old school 125k DSL line , using a PS/3 for netflix and have not had a buffer or signal problem.. but i do have the PS3 hooked up by network cable to my router..

netflix gives a better signal that directTV ...

Top Bottom