• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have three 1911's I carry often. I have a custom, a Kimber and a S&W 1911Sc. I am finding that my favorite is to carry is the S&W 1911Sc. Lightweight and accurate.

Lightweight is the way to go.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My 1911

My choice was partially by price and by History. I had limited funds, about $700. And found a plain Jane Colt Government model that came in just under my limits, but that was close to ten years ago. Just wanted the "The Real McCoy", so to speak. bought it for bowling pin shooting, and have never looked backed. First round out of the barrel at 20ft was dead center. But really just about any of the good brands will be a great gun. I think it just comes down to preferrence like some people like a Ford over a Chevy, or visa versa. :dunno:

JeremySS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Fishers
    What are you going to use the 1911 for? Will it be a carry gun, home defense, range shooter, all the above?

Also, keep in mind that the grip angle between a 1911 and a Glock is very different. I find that if I switch from my 1911 to a Glock I have to be mindful not to shoot high because my muscles are trained for the more vertical grip on the 1911. For me I could not easily switch back and forth between the two platforms but YMMV.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I got this Kimber for under $800 it is a T.L.E. Custom II, hands down my favorite gun to shoot.

NewKImber006.jpg

My EDC is a Kimber Tactical Ultra II that has been refinsihed in Robar's NP3

RobarKimber001.jpg

So as you can see I'm partial to Kimbers and I highly recommend them.

I also think you can get a fantastic gun for $1,000 and under from
    Springfield or Colt, and for a little more a Dan Wesson is hard to beat.

There are lots of models to pick from, so have fun trying to decide.

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    +1 for the Rock Island Armory 1911. I have the full size tactical version and I love it. Shoots anything I load into it and never had a problem.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    love, there are many good pistols out there now. I would take a deep breath and make sure that the 1911 is what you want. Then I would look for features rather than make and model and allow software to make your decision.

A few points that I can make without making your eyes glaze over in 1911 geekery:

1. If you can get the Modern Technique of the Pistol by Greg Morrison I would look at the features that Gunsite deems necessary, optional and unwanted.

2. Reliability trumps everything else. You want a gun that runs.

3. Remember that JMB designed the gun to be a certain size. Once others start screwing with his work, the function can down south quickly, especially from positions of distress, e.g. rolling around on the gun where you would be in a fight.

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    what 1911?

+1 for the Kimber! I have a Pro Carry that I purchased used for $600 and itis sweet! I also recently bought a used Sig GSR for $700 an love it too! I prefer to buy used 1911's when possible to get past the break in frustration or factory repair on a new gun! (AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN GOOD SHAPE!) You also save $$$$$$ off new price!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have an American Classic II and love it... 390.00+tax (new) at the 1500 (after some negotiating on the price)

very happy with it. though my goal is to one day have a new kimber but if i do, shell most likely be a safe queen.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Buy a used kimber.

kimber all the way. traded my taurus pt1911 for one. never looked back. had some chances to trade away the kimber for other stuff but have so far held on to it. the basic modals run around 800 bucks new about 650ish used if you can find one. There was a nice one for sale in the classifieds for 750 i think. ive concidered trading mine for it.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I will give you two additional options to consider. I also will say that the Rock Island Tactical would be a fine choice for a reasonable price.

Option #1: STI Spartan (which you can get in .45 or 9MM)

STI Spartan

Option #2: Citadel

Citadel Handguns

No 9MM option, but they offer a compact version that you may prefer.

Note: these are both all steel guns. If you want any alloy framed gun, then the Kimber Pro Carry is a good choice:

Kimber > 1911 Pistols > Pro Carry II > Pro Carry II™

The Pro Carry has a 4" barrel - I do not have any good ideas for an alloy frame full size 1911.

Finally, I am ambivalent about the Taurus PT-1911. They come with lots of features and are very reasonably priced. However, the ones I have dry fired had triggers that did not impress me....I am not opposed to shooting a gun with just an OK trigger but I have a Glock for that.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I bought a used S&W, 645, for about $400.00 SEVERAL years ago,
    just to get into the .45 game, and I love it. Full size, steel and shoots
    GREAT..... added adj. sights....

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My first pistol was a colt 1911 and it was a great gun, but I ended up selling it as a newly wed when bills came in. I also had a Para Ordnance P-14 that was pretty sweet, but I sold it for something else. Both of those were great guns.

I've already owned two 1911's but I still read these threads because there's always something knew to learn about them.

I held a RIA Tactical and Springfield Loaded side by side and I really couldn't feel or see much difference other than the price tag. The triggers on them were both light and clean. I was impressed by both, but the Springfield loaded models are crazy expensive these days and the parkerized one is hard to find for less than $750 new.

For the money I'd buy a Springfield mil-spec or a RIA tactical.

Last time I looked RIA Tactical models (better sights, guide rod, wider safety) went for $430 + 20 shipping + FFL fee. So for under $500 you could have a nice 1911. All these ads I see for used guns with a $5 beat up holster and an extra $10 magazine for over $500 are a joke. Spend your money more wisely than that. The springfield mil-specs shouldn't cost more than $650 out the door.

dodgetoyz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    You can't go wrong with a Kimber. You may spend a little more, but just like anything else, you get what you pay for. Also, they will retain their value better than other guns, so you make up some of the expense on the other side of ownership.

Top Bottom