Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I shoot mostly my old military rifles.

With some sights like on the Garand I can get pretty good groups as the sights are easy to adjust. I am not great but I can get in the black at 100 yards with iron sights.

My other rifles... Well, I have much more improvement to do!

Is there anyone out there who teaches classes or could teach me how to shoot more accurately? I know I'll never be a Bob Lee Swagger but I would like to be better than I am today!

Also, is there any equipment that would help improve my accuracy? And I do not mean putting a scope on the rifle!:)

I normally have shot at a bench at Roush Lake. I shoot left handed. I don't use any other equipment besides the table and possibly a sling.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Doug

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    They both beat me to it..... But let me add some pictures to help sell it :)

Circled shots where the first 13 shots I fired on Day 1 --
    Uncircled shots were the last 13 shots I fired on Day 1 --
    appleseed-before.jpg

After day two.... These were my final 13 shots of the Appleseed Weekend.
    appleseed-after.jpg

And to quote some commercial...... "Any Questions?" :cool:
    Appleseed works.

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    At an Appleseed we teach the skills needed to consistantly hit 4 MOA targets from the field positions, standing, sitting, and prone using your sling. No bench rest shooting!

Your Garand is a beautiful rifle (read fun to shoot) for the course of fire, however any rifle 22lr up to 8mm is allowed.

We have many shoots coming on line for this year and hopefully some up close to you.

For additional info check us out under Advertisers. We have a group of instructors active here on INGO.

BTW: 4 MOA at 25 yds is a 1" square and we will teach you how to place 10 rds into that square in 60sec.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I will look into Appleseed. I will be willing to drive up to two (2) hours away depending on the day.

I am hoping to get better w/ some of my Mosin Nagants, 8mm Mauser, Enfields, etc.

Any other suggestions besides Appleseed? As much as I may want to go I am well aware of scheduling conflicts that may prevent my attendance irregardless of my willingness.

I do not need a bench to shoot at, but it is what I have been using while at Rousch. When I was in bootcamp several decades ago I did the standard firing positions. It has just been so long that I have forgotten a lot (read everything).

Thanks,

Doug

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    Man, I go out to walk the dogs and a bunch of quick draw INGOer's beat me to the reply!
    Libertarian01, we'll be having several Appleseed shoots in your part of Indiana come springtime - think Ft. Wayne, Auburn and Wabash. Check out the Appleseed forum here on INGO.

Hawkhavn

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Annie,

Auburn would be great! A heck of a lot less driving than Cloverdale. BTW, didn't they drop a nuke on that place?

I am looking into that FWRR group out off of 37. That wouldn't be a bad drive at all considering that I live five (5) minutes from 37.

I look forward to shooting more come springtime. <20 degrees is too darn cold to have fun for me, at least for any length of time.

Doug

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have been trying to get my schedule to allow me to go to an Appleseed for a while (I know they are offered all the time it seems.) I did go to a beginners High Power Rifle clinic that was very informative about basic marksmanship but I was only one of 2 that showed up with a Garand. There is a great DVD that is awesome from a history standpoint and also has some really good basic marksmanship information that for the most part was the same as that taught at the clinic (95% has stood the test of time). It is the original reel to reel movies made by the military to train soldiers on the M1 Garand, I think it was made in 1942 or 43.
    M1 M-1 Rifle Garand Marksmanship VIDEO Gun DVD - eBay (item 200332323988 end time Jan-11-10 06:13:33 PST)

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    After 22 yrs in the Military these are the most common issues:
    1. Sight picture (MAIN focus should be on front sight and place your cheek on the same spot of the rifle EVERY time)
    2. Breathing (exhale, hold your breath, squeeze)
    3. Sqeeze not pull trigger (we would place a dime on the top end of the barrel and have them dry fire without the dime falling off)
    4. Relax (tense muscle's will cause you to pull the weapon)

Just my :twocents:, hope it helps.

Last edited:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    To All,

Any other suggestions besides Appleseed? As much as I may want to go I am well aware of scheduling conflicts that may prevent my attendance irregardless of my willingness.

A Highpower (match) clinic.
    Some of the clubs that shoot Highpower hold clinics in the spring, before the match season takes off full force. Wildcat (Brookston, near Lafayette) usually has one, as does some other clubs. They used to run in the $25 range back when I was still shooting Highpower.

These may be better for you than an Appleseed, as they sometimes run over the course of a few weekends, so you can surely get to part of it. Every little bit helps.

I'd look at the Central Indiana Highpower Shooters website CIHPRS Home and find the clubs that hold Highpower matches. Then, I'd keep an eye on each of their websites to see if they hold a clinic. They would probably start in March or April.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll add to the chorus on an Appleseed. If you're wanting or needing to improve your fundamental rifle marksmanship, you should consider it mandatory, not an option.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    After 22 yrs in the Military these are the most common issues:
    1. Sight picture (MAIN focus should be on target, not front sight and place your cheek on the same spot of the rifle EVERY time)
    2. Breathing (exhale, hold your breath, squeeze)
    3. Sqeeze not pull trigger (we would place a dime on the top end of the barrel and have them dry fire without the dime falling off)
    4. Relax (tense muscle's will cause you to pull the weapon)

Just my :twocents:, hope it helps.

I am a total noob so do NOT take this as me correcting you but I am curious about how exactly #2 was described when you were taught that.
    My point being...I was taught that you breath in, exhale, and then it was mentioned specifically that the process is not "holding your breath" but rather prolonging the pause at the end of the exhale prior to the inhale. When you "hold your breath" many people hear that and think of the process of closing the windpipe at the "throatal" area (to quote Cliffy Claven.) It is a pause in breathing rather than holding your breath.
    Keep in mind I am saying what I was told not what I think you should do.
    Being a noob I am not sure if this is a different technique or just a different way to explain what you are saying. Your thoughts.

Top Bottom