• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    I am a total noob so do NOT take this as me correcting you but I am curious about how exactly #2 was described when you were taught that.
    My point being...I was taught that you breath in, exhale, and then it was mentioned specifically that the process is not "holding your breath" but rather prolonging the pause at the end of the exhale prior to the inhale. When you "hold your breath" many people hear that and think of the process of closing the windpipe at the "throatal" area (to quote Cliffy Claven.) It is a pause in breathing rather than holding your breath.
    Keep in mind I am saying what I was told not what I think you should do.
    Being a noob I am not sure if this is a different technique or just a different way to explain what you are saying. Your thoughts.

Nope your exactly correct, it is more a pause before the next breath. I said hold out of laziness. Tough crowd. :n00b:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    That's all right, I always had a problem with the carved in stone advice of taking a breath, release half, hold, shoot. For me, it seemed natural and therefore easier to stop at the end of exhale, since that is a natural dead-time or pause anyway.
    If you tell someone to release half their air and hold it, they will be using part of their concentration on that instead of front sight and trigger.

And yes, I think it's not so much holding the breath as it is...well...I don't know what to call it. Coasting maybe?

Naysayers always said what I do causes you to have less oxygen in your system so you couldn't hold as long before the quivers started, etc and so on.
    So...how long are you holding for this shot? If you hold long enough for that to matter, it was probably too long anyway and time to back out of the trigger and start over.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Sorry, I am not trying to be known as the anal retentive guy around here but being such a noob I didn't know but what there were two schools of thought on the matter. Kind of hard to ask for clarification on that without sounding like I am calling you out on some detail, thanks for the info.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Scarecrow,

You say that and there is some vague, hazy, yet terrifying memory of Drill Instructor Sgt. Stimmel saying something like that!:eek:

It is amazing that even 20+ years after bootcamp I can still remember all of my Drill Instructors and some of the things that happened in boot camp.

I don't quite recall the "relax" part, but the first three (3) do bring back some not so fond memories of rifle training and drill.

I don't know why but once I typed the word "drill" the thought instantly popped into my of "you're bouncing!"

I need to stop here.

Thanks,

Doug

After 22 yrs in the Military these are the most common issues:
    1. Sight picture (MAIN focus should be on target, not front sight and place your cheek on the same spot of the rifle EVERY time)
    2. Breathing (exhale, hold your breath, squeeze)
    3. Sqeeze not pull trigger (we would place a dime on the top end of the barrel and have them dry fire without the dime falling off)
    4. Relax (tense muscle's will cause you to pull the weapon)

Just my :twocents:, hope it helps.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Scary isn't it, the memories etched into our brains.
    Yea, the relax part I put in from my own experience as a range safety at Attterbury, some of the new kids would be holding the weapon like someone was going to steal it from them.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Appleseed, and NRA courses are a great tool. You can learn lots of stuff by yourself, and waste lots of ammo and time. I prefer to waste neither. Go to somebody who knows what they are doing. That goes for all disciplines. Some fundamental training will allow you to get more out of your guns. - George

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is impossible to shoot accurately if the front sight is not in sharp focus. The target can be blurry.

One of the reasons why the M1 and the like are accurate is because of the rear aperature which helps the focus on the front sight. I started to lose my front sight when I turned 48, ten years ago. I now use shooting glasses with a +1.5 correction to get a sharp front sight on a service rifle.

As far as breathing, the breath is only let out far enough to put the front sight on the target where you want it. The amount of breath establishes NPOA in the vertical plane.

You will learn all of this and practice the 6 steps of firing the shot when you attend an Appleseed or Highpower clinic. Fort Wayne Rifle & Revolver Gun Club... Home will be hosting both in 2010, if you are in the area.

Dean

Last edited:

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Ok, well it appears, according to my Basic Rifle Marksmanship Manual we are all right in a way. I had to go back and look. This is from chapter 4:

b. Aiming. Having mastered the task of holding the rifle steady, the soldier must align the rifle with the target in exactly the same way for each firing. The firer is the final judge as to where his eye is focused. The instructor or trainer emphasizes this point by having the firer focus on the target and then focus back on the front sight post. He checks the position of the firing eye to ensure it is in line with the rear sight aperture.

Not trying to argue with anyone, I was just trying to help. Military is the only real experience I have.

*Edit I just had to go check my site picture myself. I do maintain focus on the front site. That is what I had originally posted but second guessed myself after slow1911's post. I have shot expert for most of my career, so whatever it is I do, it works for me.

*side note: Yea for my 50th post.

Last edited:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It's been mentioned, but I'll say it again: Appleseed. I had zero experience shooting a rifle until I attended a mini-Appleseed. I was able to score a 216 by the end of the day and earn the title "Rifleman."

Post #3 has pictures of my targets, along with myself and Bill of Rights. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to improve their rifle accuracy:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/appleseed/52446-another_great_mini.html

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Right on scarecrow, I'm glad we are together on this. Whether in combat or on the target range, target identification is the first job. After that focus is shifted to the front sight to make the shot. My DI was SFC Boxley at Fort Knox in 1970. I still hear his voice and feel his boot.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    forget what everyone else has said and do this. contact a shady foreign doctor and have him replace your arms and hands with robotic prosthetics, than get a crazy terminator style eyeball. your welcome.;)

Top Bottom