• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    With all of the extra regulations and rules concerning firearms (e.g., can't carry on school grounds; must OC in Speedway, etc.), I have a question. Is there a way a person like me/us can become "special citizen police officers"? What I mean is, can we get training and only be called upon for special emergencies, similar to the Army National Guard? I would love to possess a badge that allows me to ignore all of the "no guns" signs and municipality regulations?

I mean if Shaq and the old karate guy can be volunteer cops, why cant I/we? However, I don't have time to actually do patrols or anything like that. So, anybody know if this can be done?

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    Honorary ones are routinely sold for about $45. Contact your local police agency. You still have to obey all laws but you get special perks.

No I don't have one or want one!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    you sure can, it's called the IMPD Reserves, but they aren't "pretend" cops at all. Badge, gun and car, but no pay.

IMPD Police Reserves

If I'd have known back in my 30's, I probably would have applied.

Yeah, Hickman, I know about the IMPD Reserve Officers, but I am talking about something a little lower on the totem pole. I just want the badge to be able to get around all the issues we discuss on a daily basis.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Honorary ones are routinely sold for about $45. Contact your local police agency. You still have to obey all laws but you get special perks.

No I don't have one or want one!

I don't thing Indianapolis has that, but I will check to make sure. Maybe I could check with Mooresville, also.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    so if one was to become a volunteer/reserve officer would that person then be able to carry their weapon anywhere in the country like a normal LEO? if so...lets get an INGO "become a reservist cop party goin"

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why not get a CCW badge and make your fantasy complete??

That has got to be the dumbest reason I've ever heard for wanting a badge....

Okay, my skin is tough, but why do you think my reason is stupid?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Just this statement;

I would love to possess a badge that allows me to ignore all of the "no guns" signs and municipality regulations?

Okay, when you say a statement is stupid, it would be nice to explain why you believe that to be so. Just reposting the statement isn't too smart in itself. Let me know what you are thinking and maybe I can restate to provide clarification or choose to ignore you.

It is not my intent to flout the law or the profession of the LEO. I am tired of having to jump through so many hoops and form the mindset of a criminal, as I exercise what is my constitutional right. So, please tell me why that's stupid --flippant, maybe -- but, why stupid?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Sorry for butting in on your fantasy. I withdraw my comment(s).

I hate when people openly attempt to be offensive, but when they don't get the reaction they expect, they "withdraw". If my "dream" is "stupid" I can accept that. This is an internet forum and many illogical things are said. Have a good night and be safe out there.

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    So basically you are saying you want something for nothing. The perks you are talking about have been earned not freely given. I am a reserve and have been for almost 20 years. I have been through two police academies each over 500 hours and thousands of hours of service to my community. As for "carrying" all over the country, I have heard that "reserves" ,or whatever we me be called, may not be covered under LEOSA since we may not be considered employees. I would not like to be the first test case. I wish we didn't have to have the governments permission to carry but that is the way it is at the moment.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    So basically you are saying you want something for nothing. The perks you are talking about have been earned not freely given. I am a reserve and have been for almost 20 years. I have been through two police academies each over 500 hours and thousands of hours of service to my community. As for "carrying" all over the country, I have heard that "reserves" ,or whatever we me be called, may not be covered under LEOSA since we may not be considered employees. I would not like to be the first test case. I wish we didn't have to have the governments permission to carry but that is the way it is at the moment.

That is the key statement right there.

I don't read the OP as being a wannabe cop. He's just wondering if there is a back door loophole he can go through, so he can exercise the rights he is supposed to be guaranteed under the constitution.

If we were talking about real "perks" of a LEO job, like a pension, or use of the police facilities, or the LEO discount at Denny's, then yes, I would say he doesn't deserve those perks without working for them.

But I have to take issue with your characterization that the free exercise of a constitutionally protected liberty is an LEO "perk" that ordinary citizens don't deserve.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As a reservist in my county. You have to buy your own uniforms, gun belt, and accessories. That my friends equals a lot of money. If not or that, I would be down. A lot get used as security for big events. Which can pay very well.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN

anyone know this to be a fact? seems like becoming a "reserve" officer would be a great way to serve your community, and if it comes with the perk of being legally able to protect yourself anywhere in the country it seems like something I would like to do someday.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I don't know what Shaq does in Cleveland but when he was in Miami and PHX he actually would go and do a lot of public relations with the PD.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I used to have an honorary Sheriff Deputy badge, donated $25 to the Sheriff for reelection, all it did was get me into bars for free.

Top Bottom