• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Well, if you're interested in the Reserves in Hancock Co. don't bother. They don't bother replying to multiple requests for information, and my resume is probably better than most of their merits.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So basically you are saying you want something for nothing. The perks you are talking about have been earned not freely given. I am a reserve and have been for almost 20 years. I have been through two police academies each over 500 hours and thousands of hours of service to my community. As for "carrying" all over the country, I have heard that "reserves" ,or whatever we me be called, may not be covered under LEOSA since we may not be considered employees. I would not like to be the first test case. I wish we didn't have to have the governments permission to carry but that is the way it is at the moment.

Something for nothing?! Have a good day officer, and thanks for your community service.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    With all of the extra regulations and rules concerning firearms (e.g., can't carry on school grounds; must OC in Speedway, etc.), I have a question. Is there a way a person like me/us can become "special citizen police officers"? What I mean is, can we get training and only be called upon for special emergencies, similar to the Army National Guard? I would love to possess a badge that allows me to ignore all of the "no guns" signs and municipality regulations?

I mean if Shaq and the old karate guy can be volunteer cops, why cant I/we? However, I don't have time to actually do patrols or anything like that. So, anybody know if this can be done?

I have not read the whole thread as yet, however... Shaq and Seagal do do patrols at times. Unfortunately, what it sounds like here is that you don't want to be a cop, you just want to dress like one.

I recall reading of a reserve (or something) cop from Indiana going into IL and carrying as per LEOSA, but unfortunately, IL didn't recognize the type of cop he was or some other sort of technicality. It's bogus, but if this kind of activity that you're describing is encouraged, I can see that lack of recognition being expanded. Some, of course, will say "Good!" in that there should not be a different set of rules based on whether or not you wear a badge, and I do agree, there should not... but I don't want to see it change by reducing anyone's ability to exercise their rights, I want to see it change by expanding that ability for more (all) people.

In fairness, I have to say I've thought along the same lines you describe here. Yeah, it'd be very cool to be able to ignore silly "no gun zones" when the only person to whom I intend harm is the one who is presenting a direct, immediate, physical threat to me or those close to me... but to dilute the meaning of "LEO" is the wrong way around, IMHO. Let's focus instead on the admittedly harder job of eliminating the idiotic "gun-free zones" that exist only for those of us who obey the laws.

:twocents:

(ETA: Now I've read the whole thing. Carrying a firearm is your right. You are being denied your ability to exercise that right because you don't wear a badge. Let's focus on the denial of that ability, not on the shiny trinket that some numbskulls in legislative positions have decided suddenly makes you worthy of your rights.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have not read the whole thread as yet, however... Shaq and Seagal do do patrols at times. Unfortunately, what it sounds like here is that you don't want to be a cop, you just want to dress like one.

I recall reading of a reserve (or something) cop from Indiana going into IL and carrying as per LEOSA, but unfortunately, IL didn't recognize the type of cop he was or some other sort of technicality. It's bogus, but if this kind of activity that you're describing is encouraged, I can see that lack of recognition being expanded. Some, of course, will say "Good!" in that there should not be a different set of rules based on whether or not you wear a badge, and I do agree, there should not... but I don't want to see it change by reducing anyone's ability to exercise their rights, I want to see it change by expanding that ability for more (all) people.

In fairness, I have to say I've thought along the same lines you describe here. Yeah, it'd be very cool to be able to ignore silly "no gun zones" when the only person to whom I intend harm is the one who is presenting a direct, immediate, physical threat to me or those close to me... but to dilute the meaning of "LEO" is the wrong way around, IMHO. Let's focus instead on the admittedly harder job of eliminating the idiotic "gun-free zones" that exist only for those of us who obey the laws.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

I certainly would not want to dilute the meaning of LEO. Just wanted to discuss the possibility of other avenues AND the ability of our respective city to call upon us when needed.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    Don't have the answer for you, but I have a feeling a lot of doors open easier and wider if one is rich/famous.

i think this got has got the answer...

I think the OP's idea is a good one, i have actually thought about this a little bit myself. I have always wanted to serve our country, and i dont want to have the profession of an LEO because i am highly interested in another field, BUT i would love to have a ticket that allows me to still serve and protect on some sort of level some day....

Top Bottom