I Used to Think Pit Bulls Were Monsters....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Not a fan of them at all. However, if they are you thing, go for it.

Any dog can be an ahole.

jballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I don't blame dogs, I blame the owners. Pits have a bad rep. My least favorite dog is the Collie, but only cause they love to chase cyclists more than any other breed. :laugh:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Not a fan of them at all. However, if they are you thing, go for it.

Any dog can be an ahole.

I'll agree to this. My dog is a big 130lb baby, but last night he was a big butthole. He was in a bad mood big time.

As for pit bulls, I got to handle several in obedience training. They were training to be therapy dogs. I liked them a lot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's cyclical...

German Shepherds had a bad rap...

Dobermans had a bad rap...

Rottweilers had a bad rap...

(Notice a theme there?)

"Pit bulls" now have a bad rap...

Wonder what breed will be next? I hope it's Labradoodles...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've been bitten by more Golden Retrievers and yappy purse dogs than Pit Bulls.

Exactly.

And despite the fact that Labs / Retrievers tend to lead the statistics on the numbers of reported bites... They're certainly never going to be vilified by anyone in "the media" because they're "cute & wholesome family dogs...that thugs and gangbangers don't own"

Little dogs DO bite more - but are rarely ever reported - because they rarely ever do any "damage".

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Exactly.

And despite the fact that Labs / Retrievers tend to lead the statistics on the numbers of reported bites... They're certainly never going to be vilified by anyone in "the media" because they're "cute & wholesome family dogs...that thugs and gangbangers don't own"

Little dogs DO bite more - but are rarely ever reported - because they rarely ever do any "damage".

It's not the bite that is the problem, it's the power behind the bite. Little dogs bite are but nips, big dog bites are just that, bites, then there are the bites where a dog hangs on and yanks. There are others beside pits that do this. The list was a couple post up.

It's the bigger dogs that get the attention because their wounds usually need the most medical treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing pits. Any pits I've known have been sweet dogs.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    My pit/mutt mix
    2012-08-14_16-47-44_942_zps8187525a.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    It's not the bite that is the problem, it's the power behind the bite. Little dogs bite are but nips, big dog bites are just that, bites, then there are the bites where a dog hangs on and yanks. There are others beside pits that do this. The list was a couple post up.

It's the bigger dogs that get the attention because their wounds usually need the most medical treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing pits. Any pits I've known have been sweet dogs.

Yep - fully aware of why yappy dog bites aren't reported. They don't NEED to be because they generally don't require medical attention.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Exactly.

******snip****QUOTE]

Yup! The main stream media gives them a pass because they're are cute, and probably liberal.

Labradoodles will never be evil because they don't shed.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    Pits can be great dogs. It's all about the owner. I have an Akita which is "classified" in the same category of dangerous dogs. She has been socialized since she was a puppy and is the biggest lover you could have. Gentle with children, but hurt my wife or child and she'd be all business.

Last edited:

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    Love my girl to death. She came from Hamilton County HS. We were skeptical about bringing one home, but she's been fabulous. Even my parents, who were terrified of her, love her now. She gets packages from my Mom in the mail all the time addressed to her.

Best friend is a groomer, and the worst bite she's ever had was from a "Little" dog. She still has nerve damage in her arm because of it. Little dogs can do just as much damage if they really mean it.

IMG_6782-M.jpg

IMG_8728-M.jpg

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I never "got it" until I became the lucky master of a pit. Now I completely understand why people stick up for their pits so vehemently. He's an incredible dog, and a huge baby.

Top Bottom