I think it's time I built my own AR-15. Now where to look for parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What about one of those ar-15 multi-tools? I'm just thinking about the buffer tube lock ring moer than anything else.

The build kit I'm going to buy come with an assembled upper, so it's only half a build in that respect.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I bought my first upper from jsesurplus. I bought my lower from Ranger supply here in town. I had less than $600 in my first rifle.(no optics or sights) It has ran flawlessly.

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I have all the tools ya need. I can give ya hand if ya want. Just built 2 yesterday.. And going to build another tonight once UPS gets here.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have all the tools ya need. I can give ya hand if ya want. Just built 2 yesterday.. And going to build another tonight once UPS gets here.

Well, part of this is that I'd be lieing if I said that I don't like to keep my own tool box overflowing. I've got a lot of hand tools that I've accumulated over the years and whatever tool I need is likely something that I'm going to need to use again hopefully several times. All I "really" need is that tool for tightening the buffer tube lock and I would have everything else covered. Yesterday my new brass punch set came in so I'm pretty excited to actually start using proper nonmarring punches on my future projects.

I certainly appreciate the offer though. I really do!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    FYI,
    My patience finally gave out on me today and I ended up buying the del-ton rifle kit I've been wanting. It should be at the house next tuesday. The LMT rear sight should also be showing up soon, and I have a can of camo spray paint in the car that I bought over lunch so I can start practicing a decent camo pattern.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I should be doing pretty good on tools. They had a cheapo on the website for $5 so that should work and that's the only thing I'm missing for putting the lower together.

So far here's what I've got for my first build.
    -Delton dissipator kit from midway $470
    -Delton stripped lower from cheaperthandirt $95
    -LMT rear sight from Botach Tact $60
    -Total = $625

While I would have prefered to have bought it all locally the kits were only available online. I wanted my lower to match the upper so I spent a little more than I needed to there. The rear sight was just what I was looking for and an LMT right for $60 sounded good. I'm actually really happy with the package, especially for no more than what I spent.

The lower & build kit will be here on monday, so that's when I'll be putting it together. I'll post pictures and make a review. Hopefully I'll be able to do a real range report sometime soon.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That was the cheapest del-ton matching lower I could find. I know in the future that's one area I can save a few bucks.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well its built. The dissipater has the full length gas system with a heavy profile barrel. As far as building my first rifle goes it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. Everything went perfect until the front take down pin bounced off the ceiling and landed somewhere on the carpet thY I haven't found yet. Wouldn't be a rookie job if something like that didn't happen.

As far as the rifle goes, it certainly has that grindy new ar sound. I oiled everything and when I went to put the bolt back into the bolt carrier it was really really tight and I had to use more force to push it in then I have on any other ar I've ever owned. The del-ton upper and lower are a close match but certainly not perfect. Overall I'm happy with it so far, but I will need to dump some ammo through it before I get any confidence.

Well it's late and I need to run my fingers through the carpet again looking for that tiny pin.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Congrats on the new rifle.

My front takedown detent went flying twice, but I have hardwood floors, so I didn't have to much trouble finding it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Congrats on the new rifle.

My front takedown detent went flying twice, but I have hardwood floors, so I didn't have to much trouble finding it.

I'm glad I'm not the only guy who's done that. I ran my hands through the carpet last night a couple time trying to find it, but I knew my odds were low. It'll show up in the dyson next time it gets swept up I'm sure.

Crappy cell phone pics:

IMAG0977.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

Better picture:
    DSC00457.jpg

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So I couldn't really leave well enough alone.

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00480.jpg

The mag in the rifle is magpul dark earth and the one next to it is a Cproducts stainless that's been duracoated in magpul dark earth.

I'll be taking it out to the range this weekend and putting it through it's paces. I'll update on how it functions. I'm planning on shooting federal american eagle 223 55gr FMJ through it this Sunday.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Looking good. Nice to see ya go to something other than black for the furniture, but what about the stock? Oh, out of curiosity is there an advantage to the full length gas system with the 16" barrel, or is it mainly asthetics?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I didn't get the stock because they didn't have one while I was at the store. The rifle length gas system is very debatable, but the added sight radious is a plus.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I took my delton out to the range yesterday. I shot 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle Tactical 55gr FMJ out of it. I never had one problem and the rifle functioned like a champ. It was accurate and a joy to shoot. I couldn't be happier with it's performance on the range.

However, I have noticed a couple minor issues with the kit. For one, the mag release was getting caught on the lower receiver depending on if the button was pushed just the right way or not. So, now that I know how to take it apart, it was a very simple fix and I just touched it up with a file beveling the edge and now it's functioning perfectly.

Next, my rear take down pin is giving some trouble. The pin locks into position when it gets pushed out, but it doesn't lock into position when it's pushed in. For whatever reason that little detent isn't quite hitting it's mark in the cutout of the rear take down pin. It's a very minor thing, and it hasn't been a problem, but it could be down the road. Anyone know a trick to make that detent hit it's little mark?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Another trip to the range and another smile on my face. I put another 300 rounds through it just firing it constantly and heating up the barrel. At one point if it wasn't for the forward grip I wouldn't have been able to hold the forend. I ran a bore snake through it and when I grabbed it on the other end it was so hot that it was too much to hold. All the mag dumps and gun functioned perfectly. I'm really loving the longer sight radious and the compact size. I'm very happy with this rifle.

Top Bottom