I think it's time I built my own AR-15. Now where to look for parts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For my first build 16 inches or 20 inch barrel?

In my opinion you should start the learning process with Iron Sights. Once you've got a grip on those, then move to scopes, red dots and whatever other junk people put on their rifles. The 20" is an iron sighted dream to shoot and you'll build a strong foundation of marksmenship.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    In my opinion you should start the learning process with Iron Sights. Once you've got a grip on those, then move to scopes, red dots and whatever other junk people put on their rifles. The 20" is an iron sighted dream to shoot and you'll build a strong foundation of marksmenship.
    I shoot irons with my dads COLT SP1.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The 16" is a good trade off between 20" and the 14.5" of the M4. I carried the 20" A2 for the majority of my service, I can say with 100% certainty, I don't miss that extra length.

But definately keep up the iron sight skills.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    The 16" is a good trade off between 20" and the 14.5" of the M4. I carried the 20" A2 for the majority of my service, I can say with 100% certainty, I don't miss that extra length.

But definately keep up the iron sight skills.

It will be a flat top AR and I'll be mounting back up iron sights and a 2 MOA Acog scope. So the 20?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It will be a flat top AR and I'll be mounting back up iron sights and a 2 MOA Acog scope. So the 20?

Here's my thoughts, if you have to ask us, you should think about it a little more and hold a few more of the different types. If you do that, you'll be making sure that you're happy with what you purchase. It really comes down to preference in this case because you trading off a longer sight radius with a little more FPS for ease of movement. What's looks better is also something you have to decide for yourself.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Here's my thoughts, if you have to ask us, you should think about it a little more and hold a few more of the different types. If you do that, you'll be making sure that you're happy with what you purchase. It really comes down to preference in this case because you trading off a longer sight radius with a little more FPS for ease of movement. What's looks better is also something you have to decide for yourself.
    I will go with the 20 inch. I'll just build another in 16 inch.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I will go with the 20 inch. I'll just build another in 16 inch.

Be sure to get the proper buffer for the 20". Once you get to building them you will quickly understand what I mean by technical. They are easy to put together, but can be tricky to get running perfectly when experimenting with different configurations. To keep it simple, run a fixed stock with the 20".

ACOG is an excellent optic.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Be sure to get the proper buffer for the 20". Once you get to building them you will quickly understand what I mean by technical. They are easy to put together, but can be tricky to get running perfectly when experimenting with different configurations. To keep it simple, run a fixed stock with the 20".

ACOG is an excellent optic.
    Ok then. I'll go with the 16 inch. I want a m4 style collapsable stock. I want the Brady bunch and the hippies from commiefornia to crap themselves in terror when they see this rifle

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well... I just bought my first stripped lower. I decided on my first build I'd go the easy route and buy a del-ton kit. I wanted to have my lower sitting here waiting for it to arrive rather than the other way around so I just bought the lower today. The kit won't be bought for another month or so.

I think next time around I'm going to buy a PSA just to see the difference between the two, but from what I've been reading about both companies I expect to be equally as pleased with both. For now though, I'll just be dreaming about getting my dissipator build kit.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Definitely go with an 18" barrel. ;)

This is what I'm currently considering for my first build:

Upper - Stag A3 Left Handed
    Upper Parts Kit - Stag
    Bolt Carrier Group - Stag Left Handed
    Charging Handle - ACLM Ambi
    Gas Block - YHM Low Profile
    Barrel - Rainier 16" Match 1:8 - Mid Length Gas
    Flash Hider/Comp - YHM Phantom
    Forend - YHM Solid - Rifle Length
    Lower - Stag
    Lower Parts Kit - Stag Ambi
    Grip - Magpul MOE+
    Stock - Magpul ACS
    Magazines - Magpul PMAGs
    Sights - Magpul MBUS

Cost is around $1400

I plan on getting most of this stuff either direct from the manufacturer or through Rainier Arms. I'll probably throw a variable optic (Vortex PST?) on it too eventually.

I'm kind of on the fence between a 18" barrel with rifle length gas or a 16" barrel with mid gas. I'm also not sure about the MBUS.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, with my lower on the way and the remaining kit one sale on midway away, the only thing left would any AR specific hand tools. I don't think theres anything else I'm going to need since I have a pretty good assortment of hand tools, but anyone know of anything I might be missing?

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Well, with my lower on the way and the remaining kit one sale on midway away, the only thing left would any AR specific hand tools. I don't think theres anything else I'm going to need since I have a pretty good assortment of hand tools, but anyone know of anything I might be missing?

barrel nut wrench? Not sure if you are putting your upper together. Also, brass punches, so they don't mar things, just like 2 are required. If you are putting your upper together, an upper block comes in handy for cranking that barrel nut in.

If you are just doing the lower, a good set of punches, some leather (or something to protect the finish when putting in the bolt catch) and some punches, a pair of vicegrips, (for the bolt catch roll pin) is all you pretty much need.

Top Bottom