• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plumber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Lol, What is it about people who feel the need to push their opionons on to others ? You should carry a 40. because I do.. lol actualy you carry what your comfortable with. Just saying.

tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    Haha. I've had some people talk trash about me carrying a 9mm. Saying that it wouldn't put someone down if they came at me. I've never taken it to heart...17 hollows would definitely do the trick.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    So I was in my favorite LGS the other day with a friend of mine. He was looking in the case and seen one he liked the looks of (he's not a gun guy). Looked at it myself and said that I liked the looks of it, but not the caliber. It was a .40. Said that I didn't like the caliber (Not saying its a bad round, just don't like it for some reason) and would rather have a .357 than .40. Well this other random guy started in like I just told him to go screw himself.

His words were "Well, why not? A .357 is just over-penetration. Shoot someone with that and they're just gonna keep coming after you. The .40 does the same thing as a .45 when you shoot someone with it." The only thing I got in was "Well, I like .45." He cut me off and kept on going on about how great the .40 was about the time I started ignoring him and started looking at the 1911s.

I'd put money on it that he carries a .40, lol. I'm still wondering what made him go off like that. It wasn't in a conversational tone either. Sounded like he was just about to the point of yelling at me for not liking the .40. I really don't know.

Anyone else ever have someone just jump into the middle of your conversation like that? Not to offer advice, but to basically chew you out with how much they know?

I carry a .40 S&W...in a Gen II Glock 23, which I picked up NIB in 2010! My wife has a Gen II Glock 19 in 9mm...also picked up NIB in 2010! I'm not angry about someone wanting to carry a different round...and I don't care if you think I should be carrying a .45 acp instead!

While I'm okay with carrying a .40...I still revert to my SP101 in .357 mag when I'm alone! I still believe in the .357 for personal / home defense over the .40...and over the 9mm! My wife has a 9mm...simply because that's what she's comfortable shooting! I would rather she have a 9mm than something larger because I know she'll pull it and use it if needed!

I'm not sure what motivated this individual to make his statements to you...and who really cares! You did the right thing by moving on and not letting him direct your path!

I was with a friend (a week ago) when he shot a handgun for the first time! He ended up selecting a Glock 17 and buying it, after shooting a .22lr, a 9mm, a .357 mag, and a .45 Colt! After discussing what he wanted and why he wanted it, we worked with the sales rep to select a gun that HE was happy with, not just something we THOUGHT he would be happy with! Big difference here!

A happy new shooter and gun owner is much better than forcing a certain caliber or manufacturer on someone if it's not what they want...especially when they are just getting started!

Oldbird13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Hamilton County,IN
    I've heard of this happening before. My physician said the folks at IU Health refer to it as 45 envy. You'd think being imagine shop he would have been in a little better mood...possibly wound too tight.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Haha. I've had some people talk trash about me carrying a 9mm. Saying that it wouldn't put someone down if they came at me. I've never taken it to heart...17 hollows would definitely do the trick.

I used to NOT consider the 9mm to be an effective home/personal defense round....and while it still won't do what the .45 acp round will do...it will still work! Improvements in powders, bullet design, etc...has changed my perspective regarding the 9mm round! While I still consider the .357 mag or the .45 acp round to be better rounds (and the heavier the better in CQ defense), I have come to include the 9mm round as a viable home / personal defense round.

My wife has a Gen II Glock 19 9mm handgun! With some of the new round that are out there...I am considering getting a G-19 Conversion barrel for my Gen II Glock 23 (.40 S&W) so we can carry the same ammo! I would rather carry a round that my wife is comfortable with...than force her to carry a round that she is not comfortable with!

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Crazy

Freakin southern IN! Two weeks ago I was at Bass Pro Shop with a buddy. He has a new to him Rem 870 12ga and wanted to purchase some defensive rounds.

Now this friend of mine knows nothing of shotgun shells. He naturally assumed the larger shot size number meant the larger load.

He grabbed like six boxes of number 8 12 gauge. I looked at him and laughed, I said " Man that eight shot is for the birds"....get it....and was going to show him some 00buck options. Out of nowhere dude jumps out from behind the reloading isle and he was all pissed off. He came at me with " What the hell is wrong with target loads, maybe we cant all afford to shoot high dollar buck shot" Then he pulled out his ice pick and thats all I remember. That was two weeks ago and I can just now talk about the trauma. A freakin ice pick for not liking target load. Only in Clarksville

Last edited:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used to NOT consider the 9mm to be an effective home/personal defense round....and while it still won't do what the .45 acp round will do...it will still work!

I am curious what you mean by this? What won't the 9mm do that the .45acp will?

Supersport

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Lafayette
    As someone who carries a .40 I think this is kinda funny. I don't care if someone likes my caliber or hates it. The best thing about guns is all the choices and customizing that can be done. As far as I'm concerned you could own a 100$ .22 or a 4,000$ .45 your still a fellow gun owner

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I was in a LGS a while back and there wasis a new young kid behing the glass. He tried to tell me that Sig's were junk. He said the last 4 they sold had to be sent back for repair with in a month. I just nodded and kept looking then walked out. Some of the people in LGS really should not be there and if they are, they need to know what they are selling. I mean come on, Sig is junk? Please.

I don't know how far back it was, but if his only experience was with the early P250s I might be willing to forgive his ignorance. (I did not have problems w/ mine, but got spooked out enough by the reviews and comments online that I lost faith in them.)

But seriously, how can the OP expect the highly-informed gentleman to restrain himself from chiming in ... this is America, for Pete's sake, and it is clearly his right to make certain everybody else knows and agrees with his opinion.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom