• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    <------------Carries a Sig and works at a Gun Shop and SOME Sigs do suck I know you were not at my shop, but all the polymer framed Sigs I have messed with are horrid. That said we try hard here not to push anyone into any one manufacturer having the range allows us to have the try and decide for yourself ability. Do we have everything, No but it's a place to start and we are working on getting more rentals in all the time.

No, it wasn't your shop I had the problem in. But I was in there earlier this week and shot an XDm and m&p 9.

But the kid that told me Sig's were junk didn't explain it was only a certain model, it was all in general. I understand some company's make a model that may not be all that great (Colt All American 2000) but they don't need to bash the whole company. Just explain the problems of that model.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I think I would have to ask him "who asked your opinion? " . You didn't really say if this Guy
    worked there or not. If he did I would complain to his boss.
    There's nothing wrong with a 40 but you have your reasons for not liking it...I avoided the 40
    For years because it was uncommon...now I just don't need another caliber in my loading room.
    It may differ ballisticly from 357 but not much in effect. Besides police records show that
    overpenitration is lots less likely that a miss.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    congratulations! it seems as though you stumbled across the not so rare breed of gun store patrons know simply as.........The Lurker. notice how he always seem to be right on the edge of your peripheral vision, while he may not be highly intelligent he is equipped with immense stores of patience. although he seems to be minding his own business he is simply laying in wait for any unsuspecting no nothing to open their mouth and say something stupid. could be what brand of ammo you prefer, maybe what caliber you like, or it could be something as simple as what holster you use. whatever it is, make no mistake the Lurker is waiting just around the corner and he will pounce upon your oppinion and trample it to dust with ridiculously vague comments and superior attitudes. when facing the Lurker i advise you immediately agree with watever nonsensical statements he makes, it is the only way to appease him.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    It seems to me that the most vocal loudest dudes in the gun shop usually know the least. Therefore they feel the need to spout off so they think you will think they do know something. Like all of you guys I have heard some pretty outrageous stuff from the gun shop know it all's. Oh yea and they are usually ex seals,Delta or some commando whanabe.:rolleyes:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    So I was in my favorite LGS the other day with a friend of mine. He was looking in the case and seen one he liked the looks of (he's not a gun guy). Looked at it myself and said that I liked the looks of it, but not the caliber. It was a .40. Said that I didn't like the caliber (Not saying its a bad round, just don't like it for some reason) and would rather have a .357 than .40. Well this other random guy started in like I just told him to go screw himself.

His words were "Well, why not? A .357 is just over-penetration. Shoot someone with that and they're just gonna keep coming after you. The .40 does the same thing as a .45 when you shoot someone with it." The only thing I got in was "Well, I like .45." He cut me off and kept on going on about how great the .40 was about the time I started ignoring him and started looking at the 1911s.

I'd put money on it that he carries a .40, lol. I'm still wondering what made him go off like that. It wasn't in a conversational tone either. Sounded like he was just about to the point of yelling at me for not liking the .40. I really don't know.

Anyone else ever have someone just jump into the middle of your conversation like that? Not to offer advice, but to basically chew you out with how much they know?

Exactly why I carry my Peacemaker, once across the head and they calm right down. :D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You might as well have said his wife was ugly too.

^^^I gotta know--Was his wife UGLY??? HA HA...

Really==ANY caliber can save your life-from .22 short to 500 S&W.

It's the shot placement that counts. Any firearm sure as heck beats throwing rocks...Bill.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    ^^^I gotta know--Was his wife UGLY??? HA HA...

Really==ANY caliber can save your life-from .22 short to 500 S&W.

It's the shot placement that counts. Any firearm sure as heck beats throwing rocks...Bill.

Unless you can place rocks better than bullets lol

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    That doesn't happen at gun stores....

Just like it doesn't happen when I overhear a guy saying he wants to buy a Barrett .50 sniper rifle so he can shoot at people from 2 miles away when the SHTF. After a while I politely suggested he take the $10,000 he is about to drop on a .50 might be better to buy bolt .308 or something similar and buy a lot of ammo and other stuff and keep the remaining to spend on other toys. He says he wants to be able to shoot 2 miles. I asked if he can hit something at 2 miles. He then explained how he was a marine sniper in force recon. I said well cool man good luck with the Barrett. I left after that.

Yeah that stuff never happens...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never happens at the LGS. All conversations are even toned and on point with facts and figures presented to go with the opinions given........or not. Mostly not.

Really, this does happen at times but not from the regulars. Folks who are that outspoken are usually just defending there own choices in calibers right or wrong.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    LGS tend to draw the occasional loud and opinionated, but less than educated, folks on the subject of guns and caliber, etc. Its like the gym and "bro-science". If you lift weights, you have to know more about supplements and nutrition than some egg head who just went to school for 8+ years and got a doctorate in it, right? Of course you do.

My grandfather referred to such as people as "virgins trying to tell a whore about XXXXing". They've studied up on it, and are interested in the subject, but tend to not have much practical experience or knowledge to pass on.

Things I've heard over the years include a .45 will knock a grown man back 6 feet, firing a snubbie inside your pocket will cause the lining of your pocket to get wrapped around the cylinder and keep it from advancing, an AK-47 will shoot through a dump truck's engine block and have enough left over to kill a construction worker on the other side (true story, happened to my brother's high school teacher's best friend's uncle in Kalamazoo in 1973...or was it 1974?) and a host of others.

I've also gotten some pretty good advice, though. The trick is learning who to listen to, and who to politely nod to and go on about your business.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    One question that has gone unanswered in the responses is "what was this guy's motivation, why did this guy spout off to a stranger?" I think the answer is because he is lonely. He needed someone to talk to, someone to acknowledge that he existed and he was willing to jump in on any conversation to meet that need.

No, I am not a psychiatrist, I admit that but I think the same motive is what causes so many of the internet "trolls" to do what they do. Really, if they have hours every evening to make hundreds of posts, there can't be anyone in their life worth having.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    So you insulted what he liked. When he didn't ask for your opinion? Then you get upset about his response and make a thread on the Internet about it?

I feel stupider for even reading this thread.

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    I had a guy arguing that you could only get a 300 Ultra Mag in a Remington rifle, as I held a Browning A-Bolt in my hands. Yeah, it was a 300 Ultra Mag. I actually laughed at him.

Top Bottom