• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The spiriva is a respimat, I agree it's pretty slick. I would use albuterol as needed with upper respiratory infections for the past few years. Never considered formal lung testing until I went into afib and then couldn't breathe

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The spiriva is a respimat, I agree it's pretty slick. I would use albuterol as needed with upper respiratory infections for the past few years. Never considered formal lung testing until I went into afib and then couldn't breathe

I didn't want to believe my asthma was "real" until I had a pulmonary function test. After I was on the albuterol nebulizer for a few minutes, I couldn't believe how easy it was to breathe.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was diagnosed in my mid 30's. I've got an inhaler but I only use it when I'm going for a run or a ride. My ability to breathe well and oxygenate my muscles is a huge limiting factor, especially in the type of humidity we've had for the past several weeks. I went for a run just before dark yesterday and made 5.3 miles and still felt pretty good when I was done. If I try the same thing before I go to work tomorrow I'd be lucky to make it 2.

Sucks.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Are you convinced it's asthma? Could it be scar tissue from the pneumonia? I've had pneumonia 4 times, two quite severe. Ive been told that under certain circumstances scar tissue can result. I read that it can diminish over time, but can make oxygen exchange difficult for some time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are you convinced it's asthma? Could it be scar tissue from the pneumonia? I've had pneumonia 4 times, two quite severe. Ive been told that under certain circumstances scar tissue can result. I read that it can diminish over time, but can make oxygen exchange difficult for some time.

If he responds to the medications, it's pretty definitive that he's having asthma. Remember that asthma is a set of symptoms and not an actual disease. They are a variety of causes and triggers.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    When in the Hell did 38 become "LATER IN LIFE" ? Based on that I rank right up there with Methusaleh !

as opposed to childhood onset.

a partner of mine finished the mini marathon in his early 40s. Felt awful. Oxygen sat was in 70s, elevated his heart enzyme. Turns out he had undiagnosed asthma.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Hmmmm, now this has me wondering, I did a lot of running last year, but never could get to a point where I could improve my time or distance, I'd generally run out of air, sometimes less than a mile, other times I could get maybe 2 or 3 miles, but that was the absolute limit. I never could run any decent distance, even when I was in top shape playing baseball. Maybe I need to get checked.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    well, that's a serious condition so it's a logical loop :runaway:

wouldn't that be nice? Fortunately I do know a pulmonologist and he gave me samples for first month. I had already bought the Qvar. The hope is I can maintain just on that once I get things settled down.

90 seconds of it, but I was too lightheaded from the workout beforehand to continue

I can hook you up

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I had it really bad as a kid but they said that I "grew out of it". Was also told recently that there was a good chance that it would come back eventually but haven't any issues for quite some time and I hope that it continues to be that way. Asthma can be very miserable!

I had it when I was young, also. Really struggled through high school, particularly football season but apparently outgrew it. The only good thing about it was that it kept me from being drafted in 1964.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    :wavey:

I was diagnosed with it like 2 years ago.

No idea how long I've actually had it. I do know that running has always been tough on me from a "breath" standpoint; and recovering from being out of breath has taken me longer than every one else for a long time - including HS athletics.

However, I've never had an asthma attack, thankfully so.

So - welcome to my world, friend!

Top Bottom