• Was this a self defense shooting?

• Total voters

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The drug culture today has changed the game. It used to be burglars were big pussies. Meth has changed that...

Another significant change is that there was a time way back when in which criminals were more specialized than they now are. Burglars would burgle, and most likely run like deer if they encountered someone awake at home. Robbers robbed. Car thieves stole cars. Today, although crimes of preference are still a theme with most, they are more likely to engage whatever target of opportunity they find. As you said, drugs are the game changer. Our present criminals will do whatever it takes to get that fix and, parallel with our society in general, the average morality of criminals has dropped significantly in the last 50 or so years. There was a time when the liberal mantra of complying with the criminal now and calling the police later didn't make sense to me but was a way to get out unharmed. Today, not so much. Even being compliant, a victim may well get beaten, raped, or killed.

Another problem for our old man, is that the perps knew he was old and frail even though he managed to arrange a nasty surprise. It wouldn't have taken much for them to simply come back later, or even loop around the block and hit him again after he thought they were gone. This notion that the deck should be stacked in favor of the criminals by the law after they are overcome in spite of the deck being stacked in their favor through numbers and the element of surprise is a bunch of sh*t.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What kind of trumped up charge is that...? Then I realized it was CA.

This really isn't uncommon. As I read it a couple of weeks ago, the revisions to the Indiana Code eliminated charges for injury/death to co-perps, but I would have expected a pinko state like CA to have nailed the victim to the wall for this one.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If you are dumb enough to break into someone's home, especially the elderly, all games are off. I understand the law, but there is too much protection for criminals in my opinion. JUST STAY OUT OF PEOPLES' HOMES AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

As for the OP's question, it is not self defense, but...

This. Also, play stupid games...win stupid prizes.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    INGO always knows the intent of criminals they always seem to see the best in them, especially if they are female. Criminals are criminals because they commit crimes. You can only expect the worst out of them. Expect anything less you will be surprised in not a good way.

The old man had zero guarantee his life was safe, this idea that the threat magically stops is non-sense. How is he to know she doesn't have a firearm shes waiting to draw in her purse,vag(lol), car.

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. Don't put yourself in a situation you deserve to be fired upon and a your life will be a lot safer. Stop attacking law abiding citizens for defending themselves. A fight is messy, stuff is done and said out of reflex and adrenaline its not some James Bond flick where you adjust your tie mid fight.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If I stop to adjust my tie mid-fight things are going really well for me. Also, I'd probably have to stop and ponder why I'm so overdressed.

Also, I'd say INGO seems to be fairly evenly divided on the perceived criminal intent...maybe more biased to the shoot them early and often side.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Also, I'd say INGO seems to be fairly evenly divided on the perceived criminal intent...maybe more biased to the shoot them early and often side.

I think (in this case) it has more to do with disparity of force... Two young healthy scumbags jumping and beating an old man in his own home, breaking his bones...
    Repeated Repeated Repeated Criminal intent? Shoot in self preservation? HELL. YES.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It seems to have evaded the discussion that the overwhelming majority of criminals recidivate. If being arrested, convicted, and imprisoned are not sufficient to stop them, does anyone really think a good scare is going to do it? Had the old man not acted as he did, I would put my bets on the two giving him 30 minutes for the tiredness from the fight to set in (quite a workout for an octogenarian, don't you think?) and come back to catch him off guard and probably asleep.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Well as mentioned in the comments on another forum...........

Boy you just wait until Jesse and Al get a hold of this!!! They'll be marches, riots in the streets, boycotts, ...........what?

The criminals were white? OH.........never mind nothing to see here, move along!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my grandpa about 20 years ago. I made a remark about my disdain for liars and thieves. He corrected me in a small but profound way by advising me that they are one in the same, and that I would see over time that someone who will steal will also lie, and anyone who will lie to you will also steal from you given the opportunity. I have since refined this further to address coming to the realization that a liar in essence steals the truth.

All said and done, I would not be surprised by any fabrication she may have offered to afford herself an extraction and second attempt on the old man. Good on him for not believing the word of a demonstrably dishonest individual.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    By the letter of our laws, it was likely a murder the moment he gave chase.

By natural law, the initiator of the conflict is guilty for everything that follows - If a predator fails in an attack on another predator, and is then chased down and eaten, he is still the guilty party.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    This story brings several interesting points and issues to a front....

1. Do I blame they old guy for shooting them? No not at all....should he? Probably not legally
    2. I think it's really going to hurt him from a legal standpoint when he says several times clearly in the interview that he knew they wasn't armed and were leaving his property and no longer a threat.
    3. In my opinion he should stop doing interviews!
    4. If you ARE pregnant then don't be stupid enough to commit crimes where you can get shot or killed! Her begging is meaningless in my opinion.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    "Elderly old man chasing her into the ally" That is one tuff ole guy. I will add that not even cops can shoot fleeing suspects after a case out of tennessee. Or am I mistaken?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This story brings several interesting points and issues to a front....

1. Do I blame they old guy for shooting them? No not at all....should he? Probably not legally
    2. I think it's really going to hurt him from a legal standpoint when he says several times clearly in the interview that he knew they wasn't armed and were leaving his property and no longer a threat.
    3. In my opinion he should stop doing interviews!
    4. If you ARE pregnant then don't be stupid enough to commit crimes where you can get shot or killed! Her begging is meaningless in my opinion.

He shouldn't have given the first one...it was probably the most adrenaline he'd experienced in some time though...being pumped up and or in shock are really bad times to be laying out a legal description of events.

Top Bottom