• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A year of so ago, this happened to my wife at a gas station. Some woman came up to her with a line needing money because...blah, blah, blah... She gave the lady $10 or so and afterwards felt she'd been scammed. Just like others have said, you did the right thing because it was in your heart to do so and that's what I told my wife about her case.

But I'll offer the same advice I gave my wife if ever she finds herself in this situation again: Assuming the person is asking for gas money, offer to pre-pay the attendant for the gas and stand there and watch until the gas is dispensed. If they refuse, you now know they were trying to scam you. Either way, I told her, never give the cash directly to them. You can still do the right thing without being made a chump.:twocents:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I generally find that being alert and looking like you are alert and and aware of your surroundings generally seems to discourage people from approaching you. I'm not talking about trying to look menacing or anything, but just being observant and not making a secret of the fact that you are being observant of those around you.

In the rare case where someone I don't know still seems to be approaching me in a parking lot/gas station, etc, I tend to address them (again just a straight forward look in the eye and "do you need something/can I help you?" ) before they are within close proximity to me, and that usually stops the interaction or they backtrack.

I 'm not engaging in any lengthy interaction with random person and definitely not pulling my wallet out, etc.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    While I used to agree, I have noticed with time (and I'm pretty young I would assume amongst this crowd, 22) that most people who do these types of things are heavily addicted to drugs or alcohol and are in this situation due to their own choices. While I would like to have faith in humanity, I can't justify handing out my hard earned cash to someone who will most likely use it to continue their plague on society.

I applaud the OP for his kind gesture, but I would never do the same. This is the world we live in.

Unfortunately, this is exactly right.

The difference between charity and enablement is accountability.

I know it's easy to throw a few bucks at people and walk away feeling good, but if you can't establish a level of accountability first, then people who do that are part of the problem.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I don't usually give cash but I will always go out of my way to help if I can. It is the Christian thing to do IMO. Whatever you have done to the least of these you have also done for Christ. That tells me that even if they have ill intentions if YOUR heart is in the right place that is all that matters.

BTW I am OC every time.

Not trying to call you out personally, but that passage in Matt 25 is in reference to the judgement of unbelievers for not helping believers. "The least of these" are fellow Christians, not random people.

I just wanted to clarify the context. Many people quote it out of context to justify throwing money at people they shouldn't.

Sonick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Louisville
    January isn't supposed to be this nice in Indiana, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to do some work outside that required the tractor. While filling up the gas can I was approached by a gentleman with a sob story. He was traveling to Purdue vet school and ran into a snag along the way. Long story short, he needed money for gas.

I like helping people out, so I handed him what I had in my pocket. $15 isn't going to break the budget and I figured, what if it was true. My local gas station is < 1mi from home so I didn't even consider grabbing my normal OC gun. Heck, I could see my house while filling up.

Fast forward, he was a grifter and I should have known better. What would have happened if I followed SOP and had my obnoxiously visible holster at the time? Would I still have my $15?

I keep going back and forth on this. If it's true and he was in a bad spot, I did right by [insert your God of choice]. If he was pulling the easiest scam in the book, I am an idiot and learned a valuable lesson about letting my guard down. I highly doubt the gas station scammers would try a OC advocate. Thoughts?

Call me what you will, but I never give money to anyone like that. I am sorry if it's a true story but there are way too many unhonest people out there.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My wife is the director of a food pantry. We hear more hard luck stories than most ever will. We give out food and that is all. There are other agencies that will give money but it is usually vouchers for heating and rent. Some get upset when told we only give food. I tell them that every single person that works there is a volunteer including my wife. Every dollar we take in that doesn't go to keeping the doors open and the lights on is spent on food. I have on multiple occasions offered a ride to folks with the "Will work for food sign" to take them to the food pantry and get some food. I have been turned down every time. Does OC make a difference? Not sure since I came to it a little later than some. As others said if you aren't sure offer to prepay or buy them lunch. The scam artists will show their colors quickly enough. I hope the guy you helped was in need and pays it forward.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I was at the convention center downtown Indy last year for a convention and this really sketchy dud walks up to me, gives me a sob story about living down south, he came up to indy to buy a washing machine off Craigs list and ran out of gas. I thought, well, so far its plausible, so I'll ask a couple questions, probe a little. After asking my questions I got the guy to say he's only been to this indy twice in his life. Then I questioned him on where his truck was. Turns out he knows way too much about indianapolis streets to not live here. Sorry I have no cash. "can I borrow your credit card". Ladies and gentlemen I laughed and said, no and if you don't leave me be you might be borrowing my bullets without even asking for them. He left me be and went off to scam others. Of course I wasn't supposed to be carrying in there but I'm not going down town without my carry.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I was at the convention center downtown Indy last year for a convention and this really sketchy dud walks up to me, gives me a sob story about living down south, he came up to indy to buy a washing machine off Craigs list and ran out of gas. I thought, well, so far its plausible, so I'll ask a couple questions, probe a little. After asking my questions I got the guy to say he's only been to this indy twice in his life. Then I questioned him on where his truck was. Turns out he knows way too much about indianapolis streets to not live here. Sorry I have no cash. "can I borrow your credit card". Ladies and gentlemen I laughed and said, no and if you don't leave me be you might be borrowing my bullets without even asking for them. He left me be and went off to scam others. Of course I wasn't supposed to be carrying in there but I'm not going down town without my carry.

Sorry to threadjack, but why weren't you supposed to be carrying there?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am sure I have been scamed , but I also know I have actually helped someone. I was coming out of a company party and three guys were on the corner begging. The one said he was a 'nam vet and had not had a meal for a while. I said I we had lots of food left and would go get them sandwiches. Two of them said "f*** you, we don't want your garbage". The other one said he though a sandwich would be great. I made him a huge roast beef sandwich and wrapped up a big ham sandwich too. I tossed some extra food in a sack and brought it out The man was very thankful and admitted he was in a bad way because he keeps making wrong choices. He was not blaming anyone else. I prayed with him for a while and gave him a few bucks as I left. Sometimes you need to help where you can.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Oh really? I happen to be heading that way myself, would you like a ride?

I did this once.

I was in school at the time, at IU Gary campus. Guy in parking lot came up to me, said he wanted money to get a taxi from the Flying J back to Joliet, IL after his truck got stolen from the lot. Seemed reasonable d/t proximity to the J and campus. I told him I had no money but I would give him a ride to Lansing, IL where I was heading and he could catch a cab from there. At the time I was driving a 3cylinder 1989 Ford Fiesta with no heat, and it was February. He got in the car and rode with me about 3-4 miles when he said "Sorry man, but I think you might be worse off than me, just let me out here. I appreciate your generosity" and I dropped him off on the shoulder of I-94.

I didn't quite understand then, took a while to figure out that he was trying to scam me, and sorta won since I gave him everything I had available to me at the time.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    "Sorry man, but I think you might be worse off than me, just let me out here. I appreciate your generosity" and I dropped him off on the shoulder of I-94.

that is so sad, but since I have been there, it makes me laugh. I hope things are better for you these days.

EOD Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Carroll County
    I got scammed a long time ago by a guy needing to break a $5 bill on the sidewalks of Pittsburgh (went to the big city to process into the military)...I said sure and handed him five $1 bills as he held out a $5 bill. He promptly turned and walked into a bar with $10. The bouncer was in on it and wouldn't let me in since I was 17 yrs old.

That was the last time I handed anything to a stranger.

19Delta

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I like helping people out, so I handed him what I had in my pocket.

Thoughts?

I have been in that spot twice. One time I learned later I bought the guy his booze, the other time I either got scammed or got a lady to Chicago to see her granddaughter born.

I am still ok I did both. Like somebody else posted, its on them, not me. I don't plan to be in a bad situation, but if I was truly desperate, I would hope somebody would help me.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    OP,

Did this guy say he had a trailer with a cow or horse or something? Did he offer to send you fine cheeses? Where did this happen?

I am asking because I have had a guy ask me for money trying to get to Purdue Vet Hospital twice around 86th and Michigan Road INDPLS. Same deal each time and I told him to he should just take his wife to St. Vincents the second time I saw him.

Also, just yesterday I had a lady who walked up to my car as I was backing up in my neighborhood gas station. She had some atrocious weave and looked familiar. As I stared into her lop-sided, lint filled tracts, I remembered this lady just asked me for money a week ago at the same damn gas station. I told her I didnt have anything.

gotojuston

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Downstairs, behind the axe
    OP,

Did this guy say he had a trailer with a cow or horse or something? Did he offer to send you fine cheeses? Where did this happen?

I am asking because I have had a guy ask me for money trying to get to Purdue Vet Hospital twice around 86th and Michigan Road INDPLS. Same deal each time and I told him to he should just take his wife to St. Vincents the second time I saw him.

Also, just yesterday I had a lady who walked up to my car as I was backing up in my neighborhood gas station. She had some atrocious weave and looked familiar. As I stared into her lop-sided, lint filled tracts, I remembered this lady just asked me for money a week ago at the same damn gas station. I told her I didnt have anything.

You nailed it - scam has been confirmed. Scruffy guy, mid-50s maybe. This was at the Love's station near exit 133 on I65. I'll definetely let the manager know the next time I'm in there. I have learned a valuable lesson in all of this and thank all of you for the words of advice.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    You nailed it - scam has been confirmed. Scruffy guy, mid-50s maybe. This was at the Love's station near exit 133 on I65. I'll definetely let the manager know the next time I'm in there. I have learned a valuable lesson in all of this and thank all of you for the words of advice.

Haha. DAMN. What are the chances? What a POS-- Yeah this guy is a real piece of work.

Top Bottom