I really hate being stuck behind (revised)...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revised poll

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Bicyclist not on sidewalk. In some cases the sidewalk is in better shape than the road, yet they're not on it. Now I have to check lanes and go around them. They wouldn't like vehicles on the sidewalk.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Non-licensed Mo-peds and scooters running out in traffic. I really hate those idiots.

These things and anything else that runs in the road should have to pay all the fees that I do...plates, insurance etc.

Flame on.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I ride my bike in my lane, as far to the right as I can. I will not get into the sidewalk.

Don't like it? Suck my farts.If you hit me, I'll punch you in the throat. :D

Nope. It's my right to ride my bicycle on the road. It's a $1400 ROAD bike. It's going to stay on the road.
    I stay as far to the right as I can without harming myself. You can pass if you keep your pants on. I will not get onto the sidewalk to make you happy.
    It's my right to ride my bicycle on the road just as its my right to open carry a gun. If I don't exercise my rights, they will be taken away.

Don't like it? TS.

Don't hate on cyclists!

Cyclists who don't want to be hated on should not be asshats.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Cyclists who don't want to be hated on should not be asshats.

Yeah because riding where the people who built the roads intended for you to ride, is being an asshat. Riding on sidewalks, despite the people who built them intending them exclusively for pedestrian use, for the sole purpose of not 'inconveniencing' someone in a car for 15 seconds, is cool.

I bet a good many of you find it difficult to navigate your motor vehicles around any unusual object in the roadway. This is obvious from the fact that while riding around I see evidence you can't even keep your cars in the actual car lanes and slam into all sorts of stationary objects. But that isn't my problem, it is yours.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah because riding where the people who built the roads intended for you to ride, is being an asshat. Riding on sidewalks, despite the people who built them intending them exclusively for pedestrian use, for the sole purpose of not 'inconveniencing' someone in a car for 15 seconds, is cool.

I bet a good many of you find it difficult to navigate your motor vehicles around any unusual object in the roadway. This is obvious from the fact that while riding around I see evidence you can't even keep your cars in the actual car lanes and slam into all sorts of stationary objects. But that isn't my problem, it is yours.

Riding at 10 mph in a 50 mph speed zone, in the middle of the lane, on a two-lane road with a double-yellow line, and backing up traffic is being an asshat. If that guy gets rear-ended and killed because someone looked at their stereo for a second, no matter what else, no matter who's at fault, he'll still be dead and his loved ones (if he has any) will have to suffer through his loss.

But that's not my problem. It'll be theirs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I am going out on a limb here and saying you are an avid bicyclist.
    Your avatar says you are in the Franklin area yes.
    I would suggest you navigate through Downtown Indy and watch the cyclists we are referring to and you will have a different perspective.
    I can navigate most anything but why, when we paid so much for dedicated lanes for cyclists do I have to navigate around them in traffic....I think that is a fair question.
    Why, when I pay so much for plates, insurances and license to ride a motor cycle do they get a free pass.

Why, when one of these free loaders runs a-foul in traffic causing accidents and bodily harm are they not held responsible. These, I feel are fair questions.

If you want to use the middle of the road then pay the damn toll. If not stay in the nice new green and paid for by us bike lanes.

Same with scooters and Mo-peds. Pay the fees....oh, yeah, it is the DUI thing and you have no license, I see..........:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Riding at 10 mph in a 50 mph speed zone, in the middle of the lane, on a two-lane road with a double-yellow line, and backing up traffic is being an asshat. If that guy gets rear-ended and killed because someone looked at their stereo for a second, no matter what else, no matter who's at fault, he'll still be dead and his loved ones (if he has any) will have to suffer through his loss.

And when the loved ones come calling with a lawyer to hold you responsible for the loss.....

I have seen more than a few cyclist get blasted with rear view mirrors and the like when they ventured out into traffic.

Seen a few pedestrians get that as well.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I would suggest you navigate through Downtown Indy and watch the cyclists we are referring to and you will have a different perspective.
    I can navigate most anything but why, when we paid so much for dedicated lanes for cyclists do I have to navigate around them in traffic....I think that is a fair question.
    Why, when I pay so much for plates, insurances and license to ride a motor cycle do they get a free pass.

Why, when one of these free loaders runs a-foul in traffic causing accidents and bodily harm are they not held responsible. These, I feel are fair questions.

If you want to use the middle of the road then pay the damn toll. If not stay in the nice new green and paid for by us bike lanes.

Same with scooters and Mo-peds. Pay the fees....oh, yeah, it is the DUI thing and you have no license, I see..........:dunno:

I completely agree with this. I see a lot of cyclists using the bike lane or even if they don't use it, at least they are as considerate as they can be. Then I see some that ride the wrong way down one way streets, cut across three lanes of traffic without even thinking about signaling, all kinds of stupid stuff. It's not the cyclists who actually do what they're supposed to do to keep themselves and everyone else safe that bother me. It's the idiots who think that because they're on a bicycle there are no rules.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    And when the loved ones come calling with a lawyer to hold you responsible for the loss.....

I have seen more than a few cyclist get blasted with rear view mirrors and the like when they ventured out into traffic.

Seen a few pedestrians get that as well.

Why would they hold ME responsible? I didn't say *I* would hit the guy. But that aside, I'm sure hiring a lawyer and suing someone who may or may not have money, or might even be what we would call "Judgment proof", will really make up for their loss.

But no matter what happens afterward, the cyclist will still be dead. Or maybe paralyzed. Or in a coma.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why would they hold ME responsible? I didn't say *I* would hit the guy. But that aside, I'm sure hiring a lawyer and suing someone who may or may not have money, or might even be what we would call "Judgment proof", will really make up for their loss.

Right?

Was not referring to you in the first tense. Just anyone this may happen too.
    I worked with a fella that hit a cyclist running a red light against traffic. The family came after him guns blazing and he had a hell of a fight on his hands. It is the insurance money they were after. No, it will not replace a lost loved one but not everyone has that in mind.
    I lost track of him and am not aware of the outcome just that it can happen.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND

Guys are always toughest when they are surrounded by a bunch of car. No doubt quite a good many of the people they let drive could 'look at their stereo for a second' and somehow during that second overtake and drive over another human being who dared to be in their roadway.

That behavior isn't exclusive to cyclist, you lot run over one another, drive off bridges, slam into building, hit parked cars, kill people walking down the street, etc. all the time, often coming out fairly goofed up or dead yourselves.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Was not referring to you in the first tense. Just anyone this may happen too.
    I worked with a fella that hit a cyclist running a red light against traffic. The family came after him guns blazing and he had a hell of a fight on his hands. It is the insurance money they were after. No, it will not replace a lost loved one but not everyone has that in mind.
    I lost track of him and am not aware of the outcome just that it can happen.

Gotcha. Fair enough.

I mention dying and the loved ones dealing with it more as something for the cyclists themselves to think about. They'll be gone, their loved ones will be in pain, and no matter what happens later they won't be around to share in it. If they don't care about that then they're selfish asshats who don't even deserve to HAVE people love them.

Guys are always toughest when they are surrounded by a bunch of car. No doubt quite a good many of the people they let drive could 'look at their stereo for a second' and somehow during that second overtake and drive over another human being who dared to be in their roadway.

That behavior isn't exclusive to cyclist, you lot run over one another, drive off bridges, slam into building, hit parked cars, kill people walking down the street, etc. all the time, often coming out fairly goofed up or dead yourselves.

You must be one of those guys who rides 10 mph in a 50 mph speed zone, in the middle of the lane? You greatly increase the odds of your death by doing that. But that's not my problem. I'm not the one who's going to be dead or paralyzed or in a coma.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND

I am an avid cyclist and I actually live in downtown Indy now, so I see the cyclists you are complaining about pretty much every day, up close because I commute on a bike.

As far as I've seen people in cars do a lot of crashing into one another even when there are no bikes around. I've not seen bikes contribute in any significant way, except when they ride on pedestrian sidewalks as so many car people in this thread want them to do, but even then those collisions tend to result in less injury than when cars run over people (sometimes on those same sidewalks!).

As far as freeloading, you drivers don't pay the cost of your roads anyway. As it is most of the trail infrastructure around Indy was built with a mix of private funds and TIGER grants, though the long term prospects for upkeep is a whole lot better for trails than it is for roads, considering the wear walking and biking have as compared with cars.

I don't know why you pay so much to ride a motorcycle though I'm not sure why that should stop me from riding a bike.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    You must be one of those guys who rides 10 mph in a 50 mph speed zone, in the middle of the lane? You greatly increase the odds of your death by doing that. But that's not my problem. I'm not the one who's going to be dead or paralyzed or in a coma.

I ride quite a bit faster than that.

Thank you for continuing to threaten me with death or paralysis. I ride nearly every day and have for years, but I needed some guy in a car to roll up and tell me how dangerous it is.

In 2011 677 cyclists were killed while riding in the US. Care to guess how many were killed in cars?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I ride quite a bit faster than that.

Thank you for continuing to threaten me with death or paralysis. I ride nearly every day and have for years, but I needed some guy in a car to roll up and tell me how dangerous it is.

In 2011 677 cyclists were killed while riding in the US. Care to guess how many were killed in cars?

I'm not threatening anybody - just pointing out the risk people take when they ride like asshats. As defensive as you are about that, I can only assume that you ride like an asshat and know it.

I'm not saying people don't drive like asshats. Plenty of them do. But when an asshat on a bicycle and an asshat in a car tangle, the bicyclist loses pretty much every time. You would do well to remember that.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Sure you aren't. That kind of "ok go ahead but if you get killed or paralyzed don't come whining to me" stuff is never a passive-aggressive threat. Sure.

I'm not defensive at all. You just keep mentioning death and paralysis as if it is a likely outcome of riding a bicycle on the street, when it is fact not likely at all. I make the choice to ride every day and I have a far better understanding of the 'dangers' of cycling than some guy who goes everywhere in a car and complains about the incredible inconvenience of having to share the road with other modes of transportation.

You are more likely to hurt yourself while typing than I am to have an accident on a bicycle, you'd do well to remember that.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I don't hate individual bicyclists, but I despise them in packs. It is easy to pass one bike that is going slowly. When 10 guys on bikes ride two abreast and have 30 feet between pairs it is impossible to pass the group. My blood starts to boil whenever I see one of these massive road hogging groups going down the road.

Top Bottom