I really hate being stuck behind (revised)...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Revised poll

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Why does your poll think cyclists are obligated to use the trail or sidewalk? They've every cause to use as much of a lane on the street as someone in a car.

That said I, while riding my bike, get annoyed by cyclists who don't use bike lanes and trails simply because a lot of people worked long and hard to get what meager infrastructure there is. Roads are worse than trails even if you are a fred trying to train for your cat 5 crit next weekend. The only exception are the heavily used parts of the Cultural Trail where pedestrians absolutely cannot pay attention to the clearly marked lane designators showing them which side is for walking and which side is for biking so they walk 5 abreast in the bike lane and clog up the whole trail.

But sidewalk? You won't ever catch me on one.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why does your poll think cyclists are obligated to use the trail or sidewalk? They've every cause to use as much of a lane on the street as someone in a car.

That said I, while riding my bike, get annoyed by cyclists who don't use bike lanes and trails simply because a lot of people worked long and hard to get what meager infrastructure there is. Roads are worse than trails even if you are a fred trying to train for your cat 5 crit next weekend.

This.

I'm a bicyclist. And I have as much right to be on the street as you do.

Don't like it? Suck my farts.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN

That said I, while riding my bike, get annoyed by cyclists who don't use bike lanes and trails simply because a lot of people worked long and hard to get what meager infrastructure there is. Roads are worse than trails even if you are a fred trying to train for your cat 5 crit next weekend.

I'm a cyclist myself, and it's hard to cram a lot of wording into a poll option. But if it's the height of rush hour and it's a busy street, I'll hop up on the sidewalk out of consideration for motorists and for my own personal safety. Granted everyone is supposed to "share the road" but between my 225 lbs on my road bike and the 3 ton pick-up, I'm going to defer to who's gonna win that showdown.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This.

I'm a bicyclist. And I have as much right to be on the street as you do.

That's nice, but don't you find it a bit irritating to be behind a 5-10mph bicyclist in a 30-40mph road?

They have options, they can move aside and let drivers pass... or they can stay on the road and say "DERP I HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT TO BE ON THE STREET AS THEY DO."

I'll hop up on the sidewalk out of consideration for motorists and for my own personal safety.

Thank you.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    They have options, they can move aside and let drivers pass... or they can stay on the road and say "DERP I HAVE AS MUCH RIGHT TO BE ON THE STREET AS THEY DO."

We do have options, and as you correctly point out one of those is to occupy as much of a lane as we choose, no derp involved. It is often the best choice to ride defensively and not move over so you don't invite impatient drivers who see you as an intruder on their street to take stupid chances.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I ride my bike in my lane, as far to the right as I can.
    I will not get into the sidewalk.

If you hit me, I'll punch you in the throat. :D

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    bicyclists and about everything else out there. And this is coming from a guy raised in bicycles. (this goes for all transportation) If you cant do the speed limit you should to allow people to pass.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Other: Overloaded garbage trucks headed to our local landfill...

Not only are they slow, they stink! On top of that, their cargo is usually scattered along their entire route.

Great defensive driving... Dodging flying trash....:p

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    Only thing that annoys me are tailgaters, people who are in a rush to die and who are willing to risk everybody else on the road for their impatience.

Other than that I don't mind being behind slow traffic, I'm in no rush and I plan my routes and times, if I'm late then oh well.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Farm equipment!!! They do move over and let you pass but it takes forever to find a spot.

Also.cyclists do not belong on the sidewalk and in many places cycling on the sidewalk for adults is a citeable offense. I don't know if Indy is one of those places, but it probably is. In CA bay area all the non freeway streets had bike lanes so cars didn't get slowed down. But for left turns you still had to drive with the cars or get off your bike get on sidewalk and use the crosswalk. Too much of a pain. I hate people who honk and tailgate cyclists.

Top Bottom