• bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Congrats Man! Hang in there. :yesway:

I dipped a can a day for several years. I happened to start dating and then marrying a woman who believe it or not worked for a periodontist! She didn't nag me to quit. She would just tell me stories of some of the stuff she would see from time to time in their office. I gave it up about twelve years ago. The Longcut not the wife! :D

Up until then, I had quit several times. My success has depended on my unwillingness or I guess stubbornness not to put one single dip in. That was my failure before. If I slipped and thought just for a minute "one little dip won't hurt" that would be it. I would be back on in no time. Don't let that happen to you. You won't regret it.

It does still feel weird though when you're sitting on the river bank fishing or walking through the field with your shotgun without a dip though. You'll get used to it. The sunflower seeds will help with that.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    OK Im doing it. I saved my last pinch for when it posted in here. I have tons of sunflower seeds so as soon as this one is gone its onto nicotine free life(hopefully)

Thanks FordMan

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Congrats! I've been chewing or dipping for close to 30 years (started when I was 16) and I've tried to quit many, many times. I can be a real b*****d to be around going through the withdrawal. So bad that the last couple of times the wife bought me a can just so I'd mellow out. It was either that or a skillet across the noggin.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    i quit skoal when i got out of puberty. men dip copenhagen. :D dont think ill ever give it up though. its so soothing and delicious.

slinkus25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    yup chewing is a nasty habit, my ex gf used to work in a dentist's office. The stories she had were not pleasant.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hardest thing I have ever done was quit dipping...
    I quit 9 years ago. Cold Turkey after right about 20 years of dipping/chewing. God was that a painful event. At the time I quit I was a 2 can a day guy. Cope or Skoal Wintergreen, didn't matter. I have fell of the wagon a couple of times since 2001, but not for long. Good luck!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I started smoking a pipe. Switched to cigarettes when I got my wings and was flying solo all the time (couldn't load a pipe). After I quit cigarettes I switched to cigars. I got a complaint about how the company car smelled, so switched to dipping and pouch tobacco. I chewed tobacco for 15 years. Two things really motivated me to quit. My dentist told me that I had some pre-cancerous lesions in my mouth. The same week, a fellow at the gun club told me that he had been in the Navy with a nice-looking fellow who chewed tobacco. The fellow was diagnosed with mouth cancer. The operation he endured resulted with his loosing most of the side of his face. After the operation, he went around with a large piece of gauze taped over one side of his face. He eventually couldn't deal with his appearance and committed suicide. I quit cold turkey soon after hearing these things. I've been tobacco free for many years now. The funny thing is that it was harder for me to quit chewing than quitting cigarettes. I really enjoyed chewing more. I applaud your determination to quit tobacco. You will probably decide down the road, that it was one of the best things you ever did for yourself. I know I do.

One more thing. Be prepared to pack on the pounds. Food tastes so much better and everything smells good. If you don't now, you might consider taking up a moderate exercise program. It'll help with the weight and help take the "edge" off.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I started smoking a pipe. Switched to cigarettes when I got my wings and was flying solo all the time (couldn't load a pipe). After I quit cigarettes I switched to cigars. I got a complaint about how the company car smelled, so switched to dipping and pouch tobacco. I chewed tobacco for 15 years. Two things really motivated me to quit. My dentist told me that I had some pre-cancerous lesions in my mouth. The same week, a fellow at the gun club told me that he had been in the Navy with a nice-looking fellow who chewed tobacco. The fellow was diagnosed with mouth cancer. The operation he endured resulted with his loosing most of the side of his face. After the operation, he went around with a large piece of gauze taped over one side of his face. He eventually couldn't deal with his appearance and committed suicide. I quit cold turkey soon after hearing these things. I've been tobacco free for many years now. The funny thing is that it was harder for me to quit chewing than quitting cigarettes. I really enjoyed chewing more. I applaud your determination to quit tobacco. You will probably decide down the road, that it was one of the best things you ever did for yourself. I know I do.
    i alternate smoking and dipping, and i drink. it seems to me like everything gives you cancer now a days, so i might as well get it from things i enjoy.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    i alternate smoking and dipping, and i drink. it seems to me like everything gives you cancer now a days, so i might as well get it from things i enjoy.

To each his own. In retrospect, I really enjoy being tobacco free better than when I used it.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I quit 7/4/2010 hopefully for the last time. When I started you could by 2 cans for less than $1.00. The method that worked for me was a three step program that I don't recommend for anyone but the strongest.
    Step 1) Order medium rare hamburger and get it actually raw at Cheeseburger in Paradise.
    Step 2) Go ahead and eat the raw hamburger because you were dumb and bragged about how you "like it that way"
    Step 3) Spend the next 2 1/2 days in the bathroom afraid you are going to die and praying for the sweet relief that death might bring.
    I couldn't think of putting a dip in my mouth let alone smell it during that time. Realized I hadn't chewed in that time and decided that was the kick start I needed.
    Works so far.

Last edited:

Joy'sdad

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    My boy dips in an office environment! Wish he would quit. It's not been a problem for me. Cigarettes were my bad. Been clean for 32 years.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    If it helps anyone...I quit 7/3/2005. Chose the long holiday weekend so I wouldn't kill anyone. I substituted the Commit Lozenge for Skoal for 4 weeks. I gradually weened my self down to only 1 lozenge per day. I finally realized I didn't need the lozenge anymore and I haven't looked back. The smell still entices me, but I know it is for my own health and well being.

The kicker is, don't quit the Atkin's diet and nicotine in the same weekend. That led to a 40 lb weight gain over 2 months. I'm still struggling to get that extra poundage off.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I used to dipmskoal long cut straight for many years. I quit 15 years ago cause my soon to be wife didn't like it. I still to this day dream about having a big dip in. Sunflower seeds really helped me get over it. Keep it up, you can quit.

Top Bottom