• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have been a gun owner for years ( pistols, long guns) but I am having trouble with a new glock 17 . Shooting left is the problem and I have read that it is me not the gun and not to move the sights . So I am looking for someone in the Martinsville area than can get together with me to help with my problem . I do have a place to shoot on my small farm 10min north out side of town of Martinsville . So if you would be willing to help please send notification or email me at wildtree1@ hotmail.com.
    Thanks

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    usually...95% of the time it is one of or a combination of the following:

1) the usual culprit is too much finger in the trigger guard. You should be using the pad of your finger where the swirl of your finger print is. Any more than this and you will shoot low/left for right handers and low/right for right handers.

2) slapping the trigger instead of maintaining consistent contact with the trigger

3) using poor grip like the "teacup" grip instead of a solid two handed hold

4) too tight of a hold like a ttight push/pull of a Weaver or Modified Weaver stance and hold.

5) the angle of your grip...have you ever shot a Glock before? Does it have one of the new adjustable back straps?

Bestr thing you can do is bench the pistol...do not bench rest your hands...bench the part of the pistol in front of the trigger guard on a solid bag> if it shoots straight, then it is you.

Have a friend bench it and then fire it off-hand...if it shoots straight, then it is you.

just do some detective work before changing ammo or messing with your sights.

Let us know what you find....post it here

GONZO!!!

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thank for the replys
    To answer some question I have not shot a glock before and I know not to use the tea cup grip . I have other hand guns that I shoot (38, mp22 )and have no problem with them .I do dry fire the gun alot some times with dummy rounds and I dont see the sight picture moving after trigger pull . I just put a ghost 3.5 connector in to see if that would help . ( have not got to try yet) I do take the slop out of the trigger then squeeze to shoot .The next time it warms up I am having a firend come over and watch as I shoot to see if I pull . I will try sand bagging the gun and see what that tells me . I guest im looking for a quick fix.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Dry fire it and see if you are anticipating recoil

Why would someone anticipate recoil when he knows he's dry firing?

OP, for the quick fix you want, look up above to rhino and pm him to arrange some private instruction, or sign up for the classes he mentioned. Or find "coach" here on INGO and pm him.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    usually...95% of the time it is one of or a combination of the following:

1) the usual culprit is too much finger in the trigger guard. You should be using the pad of your finger where the swirl of your finger print is. Any more than this and you will shoot low/left for right handers and low/right for right handers.

2) slapping the trigger instead of maintaining consistent contact with the trigger

3) using poor grip like the "teacup" grip instead of a solid two handed hold

4) too tight of a hold like a ttight push/pull of a Weaver or Modified Weaver stance and hold.

5) the angle of your grip...have you ever shot a Glock before? Does it have one of the new adjustable back straps?

Bestr thing you can do is bench the pistol...do not bench rest your hands...bench the part of the pistol in front of the trigger guard on a solid bag> if it shoots straight, then it is you.

Have a friend bench it and then fire it off-hand...if it shoots straight, then it is you.

just do some detective work before changing ammo or messing with your sights.

Let us know what you find....post it here

GONZO!!!

100% of the time it's disturbing the alignment of the gun while pressing the trigger.

Grip, stance or unicorns have nothing to do with marksmanship. :)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    100% of the time it's disturbing the alignment of the gun while pressing the trigger.

Grip, stance or unicorns have nothing to do with marksmanship. :)

This^^^^^^

Well, except sometimes those damn unicorns DO get between me an my target!
    :rockwoot: dead unicorns!:rockwoot:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    1) Make sure the gun is sighted in. Putting it on sand bags and checking this will rule this out pretty quickly.

2) Mostly likely trigger press is too violent, or not straight to the rear. Catch the link rather than slap the trigger and see it that helps. Glocks were designed to be shot that way.

3) Good grip does not hurt and it can help despite opinions some opinions. If you are shooting slow fire on one target stance can get into the mix with Natural Point of Aim, some times a shifting or adjusting of the feet can make a difference. This problem can and should be overcome.

I would be willing to bet that your trigger press is not straight to the rear. Are you able to see the front sight lift when the gun goes off?

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    3) Good drip does not hurt and it can help despite opinions some opinions.

Indeed.

Obviously the key is pressing the trigger directly to the rear without disturbing the alignment of the gun. That does not in any way diminish the benefits of a good grip.

A good grip helps most people accomplish that. Many "bad" grips make it more difficult to press the trigger without disturbing the gun. How the hell can something that helps you accomplish pressing the trigger directly to the rear on a consistent basis be considered irrelevant or have nothing to do with accuracy? Mantras are fun to repeat, but the reality is that a good grip can and does help people shoot accurately. The fact that it's possible to shoot accurately with a bad grip is not evidence supporting the hypothesis that "grip doesn't matter."

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    The fact that it's possible to shoot accurately with a bad grip is not evidence supporting the hypothesis that "grip doesn't matter."

Well, you just proved my point. Even though I doubt you will agree.

I don't know that I've ever heard anyone say that grip doesn't matter. But I am saying that grip does not matter for pure marksmanship.

The OP can't hit his intended target. Grip is not his issue.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The fact that good results can and sometimes are achieved with a bad technique does not mean that a good technique does not matter.

If the OP's grip is not helping keep the sights in alignment while he is pressing the trigger than it is part of the problem. Over the years I have seen plenty of grips that are not helping at all in terms of getting hits.

If a shooter has a bad enough grip they might as well shoot one handed.

If the OP will send me an email and is willing to come to my range I will help solve the problem in person for free with the pledge that he will take a class from me in 2013.

abright@ccrtc.com

Top Bottom