I need to vent about how terrible Indianapolis is.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    If I am carrying and a dog is charging me, I am not sure I would even call 911. The neighbors behind me have a couple bully breed dogs that bark and bite at the wooden fence when mowing. If they were to get out and look to be attacking me, I wouldn't think twice. I know, all dogs are not that way and it honestly could be the mower noise that is getting them like that. The dogs scare the crap out of me and they scared the crap out of my grandma when she lived there and I like dogs.

Don't blame the dogs. Blame the owners. I hate seeing "bully breed" tossed around. It's not the dogs fault.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    So here is the scenario. We are out fishing at our apartment on Saturday evening. One of the neighbor kids comes running that there are two dogs chasing kids. There are two very aggressive dogs with puppies doing just that, they barked and charged me when I was 50 yards away.

My wife and I go to call animal control. Nothing. Call IMPD after hours, they connect it right to 911. 911 gives us animal control after hours, saying if they dont answer to leave a voicemail and they are really good about checking it. So we call that number. Rings, and rings, and rings, and rings, never goes to voicemail any of the 6+ times on Saturday.

We keep trying. And today after work we call the mayors action center, which patches us to animal control, which patches us back to mayors action center. Finally I submitted a request online since, other than 911, we cannot get anybody on the phone.

I hope one of those kids out playing doesnt get bit before one of the incompetent city employees gets these dogs out of here.

Oh, and one of the dogs is injured.

Where are the owners of these dogs while all this is happening? Or are they strays?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Don't blame the dogs. Blame the owners. I hate seeing "bully breed" tossed around. It's not the dogs fault.

I agree 100%, I only said that because I am not sure what breed the dogs behind the house are. I only know they are rescue dogs from the one time I had to ask the owners to make sure they don't get out because they scared my grandma. The rescue part scares me the most, but i know they woudn't have been adopted out had they not been okay to do so. The barking and chewing of the wood fence is what worries me.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I agree 100%, I only said that because I am not sure what breed the dogs behind the house are. I only know they are rescue dogs from the one time I had to ask the owners to make sure they don't get out because they scared my grandma. The rescue part scares me the most, but i know they woudn't have been adopted out had they not been okay to do so. The barking and chewing of the wood fence is what worries me.

I understand. :)

My dog goes flipping NUTS when I'm mowing the yard. I have to put her back inside or she'll attack the mower, I'm afraid she's going to get hurt.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Hey OP...

How about this;
    Do you know whose Dogs these are?!
    1.) Yes, how about talking to the Owner of the Dogs in question.
    2.) No, Shoot the dogs.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    Early one Sunday morning during the winter a number of years ago I was visiting my girlfriend and walked down to the little local market, a couple of blocks away, for something. On my way back I was attacked by a dog who attempted to bite me, the only thing that prevented it from breaking the skin was the fact I was wearing jeans over thick, quilted winter underwear. I called the Animal Control number to no avail, so I called the police non-emergency number. I was told that there was nothing that they could do. When I commented that I would just go armed and if attacked again I would shoot the dog I was told that then they would send an officer... to arrest me.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Early one Sunday morning during the winter a number of years ago I was visiting my girlfriend and walked down to the little local market, a couple of blocks away, for something. On my way back I was attacked by a dog who attempted to bite me, the only thing that prevented it from breaking the skin was the fact I was wearing jeans over thick, quilted winter underwear. I called the Animal Control number to no avail, so I called the police non-emergency number. I was told that there was nothing that they could do. When I commented that I would just go armed and if attacked again I would shoot the dog I was told that then they would send an officer... to arrest me.
    and then you can sue.. if you are attacked, dog, person, etc, you have the right to defend yourself. PERIOD

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Nice to know that 911 Operators are all attorneys. :rolleyes:

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    So what happens when they charge you? Are you turning away and going back in the house, or do the dogs stop and just bark at you? They might not really be that big of a threat.

Don't be a wuss and run back in the house or whatever, you have to show your dominance. If they still charge you and get close enough to bite you, shoot the damn things and be done with it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The city system sucks. Under manned and way under funded. They have no one to send you anyway. Have you seen animal control in action, we have. A bit of a joke really.
    We deal with this kind of thing on our own. Had a few dogs running amok in the area and chasing people. A letter to the owners (when you can find them) or just deal with the threat your self. Do not endanger any one as I am sure you wouldn't but let the dog know who is boss and take care of it. It works for us anyway.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Never ever tell those idiots you have a gun and are willing to use it. They will focus on you at that point.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Well. Update.

We have no idea whose dogs they are.

There has been 0 movement. After I called 911 last night a IMPD officer walked around for 5 minutes, never said anything to me despite me leaving my name, number, address, etc with the dispatcher.

I just got home and am going for a walk. When the dogs charge I usually turn and walk away. My preference really is not to shoot them, they are just protecting puppies it has nothing to do with their breed.

Top Bottom