• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    OK I have had this new air compressor sitting here a while and I need to hook it up. I have the fun task of pulling the trans out of my Superduty I figure this might come in handy. It's a 220 single phase. The hookup on the compressor has screw terminals like a dryer in the house. So do I need to install a 30 amp plug on the wall and then ger a 10ga appliance cord to hook it up?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Cord size is going to depend on the amp draw of the motor. There should be a data tag on the motor that tells you how many amps it draws. 10 gauge should be good for 30 amps.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The motor is rated at 18.5 amps.

Then I'd run a 30 amp breaker with 10 gauge wire. How many feet of wire will it take to get from your panel to the plug? How many feet of wire will you need to get from the motor to the plug in?

You could try to squeek by with a 20 amp circuit but if this compressor is subjected to cold temps at all, you will constantly trip the breaker. At work, we have some compressors in the 20 amp range that will momentarily spike to 70 amps in cold temperatures. They were originally fused at 20 amps and we had to take them up to 30's to keep them from blowing. They'll still blow occasionally.

vaughn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    greenwood
    30 amp for sure, you could use a disconnect and hard wire it if you want or a plug and cord will work its all in what you want to do, just make sure everything is rated for 30 amps, 10 awg wire for sure

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Then I'd run a 30 amp breaker with 10 gauge wire. How many feet of wire will it take to get from your panel to the plug? How many feet of wire will you need to get from the motor to the plug in?

You could try to squeek by with a 20 amp circuit but if this compressor is subjected to cold temps at all, you will constantly trip the breaker. At work, we have some compressors in the 20 amp range that will momentarily spike to 70 amps in cold temperatures. They were originally fused at 20 amps and we had to take them up to 30's to keep them from blowing. They'll still blow occasionally.
    Have you thought about putting these on programmable circuit breakers?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Have you thought about putting these on programmable circuit breakers?

These cabinets were built by one department and maintained by another. They just keep doing the same things over and over again expecting different results.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    OK I have had this new air compressor sitting here a while and I need to hook it up. I have the fun task of pulling the trans out of my Superduty I figure this might come in handy. It's a 220 single phase. The hookup on the compressor has screw terminals like a dryer in the house. So do I need to install a 30 amp plug on the wall and then ger a 10ga appliance cord to hook it up?

Yep. Check your owner's manual and run the size circuit they recommend. Otherwise, I'd run a circuit at least 1.25% of the motor current. As hornady implies, a larger circuit will allow more reliable starting. Just make sure to size your appliance cord and connectors to match your circuit breaker size.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes. Depending on H.P. of the motor, Amp draw etc. All of that should be in the manual. My 6 horse runs on a 30 Amp breaker with #10 wire.
    Wire size, breaker or fuse size correspond.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wire size and breakers are sized to each other. At the rating you gave (Amp draw) you need a 30 amp breaker and #10 wire (stranded if you can) to remain in code.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For a more secure connection might I make a recommendation of a twist lock type plug and receptical. Even if it requires a replacement of the compressor cord. Nothing like them coming unplugged when you don't want them to and only add's a few dollars to the project.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Oy 220 breakeri is a 60 amp. Do I need to replace it with a 30 amp?

If you've decided you need a 30a circuit, then you can run #10 wire. If you leave that 60a breaker feeding that 30a, #10 circuit, then it's possible to overload the wire and not trip the breaker. It could lead to a fire, that would be bad:)

As a general rule, the wire (ampacity-wise) can be bigger than the breaker, but the breaker should never be bigger than the wire.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Consult an electrician!

Not only the wire and breaker size to consider, but as Hornadylnl suggests, if your wire run (length) is too long you can run into overload problems.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Consult an electrician!

Not only the wire and breaker size to consider, but as Hornadylnl suggests, if your wire run (length) is too long you can run into overload problems.

Voltage drop can be a problem if the total run from the circuit breaker to the receptacle is long enough. Typically, you don't run into voltage drop problems in a home garage. If I had my stuff at home I could give you an idea of the length beyond which, I would be worried.

Top Bottom