• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Technically you are breaking the law by having both. Also, the paper one IS valid for any purpose according to the BMV. I recently had a lengthy conversation with them about it due to mine being a Class A and uncertain if a weigh station in another state would accept it.....
    You are no longer in violation of any laws having both since the DMV doesn't confiscate your old license. They tell you that you can keep it. The paper one does not have you full license number printed on it so it will not work for alot of things. Like applying for a credit card like I tried to do.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    i'm sure they are just unfamiliar, seeing as this is a new procedure here in Indiana

Why dose a new procedure here in Indiana prevent a law abiding citizen from exercising his second amendment right? There should not be no interruption in his right to keep and bear arms, just because the state cant do there job!

Last edited:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    The new system seems a bit redundant since I have to fill out the form and then it has to be typed into a computer. Seems like just letting the consumer type it in and printing a hard copy to sign would be easier, and also what if I were to put an inline keylogger on the keyboard when no one Ian looking I would know what people bought and where they live

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Ok, I have a question, when you move, you, can go online, and tell the State Police, your new address, but you DON'T have to pay $20.00, for a dup., permit, so the database, is updated, but, your LTCH, still has the old address on it, so how does this affect, buying a firearm ?????

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You are no longer in violation of any laws having both since the DMV doesn't confiscate your old license. They tell you that you can keep it. The paper one does not have you full license number printed on it so it will not work for alot of things. Like applying for a credit card like I tried to do.
    Actually they DO confiscate your old license and if they don't, then they aren't following procedure. Even if they didn't take the old one, having BOTH in your possession IS breaking the law. The old policy of cutting the corner and handing it back is no longer an option. They will write the new number down for you if you tell them the xxxx-xx-4547 won't work for you.

Hoosier Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Actually they DO confiscate your old license and if they don't, then they aren't following procedure. Even if they didn't take the old one, having BOTH in your possession IS breaking the law. The old policy of cutting the corner and handing it back is no longer an option. They will write the new number down for you if you tell them the xxxx-xx-4547 won't work for you.

No, they don't confiscate your old license anymore. I just changed my address last week. They no longer give you a new license on the spot. They give you a printout with your new address on it to use until the new license is mailed to you.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Address change:
    Per BMV policy, when my fiance moved, she was allowed to keep her old license as possible legal proof of old address.

Bride changes name when married:
    When her name changed after marriage (same address), my wife's old license was kept by BMV per policy.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    No, they don't confiscate your old license anymore. I just changed my address last week. They no longer give you a new license on the spot. They give you a printout with your new address on it to use until the new license is mailed to you.
    When I did mine on 2/26/11 they refused to give my old one back after I asked for it they called the supervisor away from her donuts in the back and quoted policy to me. So it seems like somewhere there was a policy change and not everyone got the memo.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Interesting thread going. I recently changed my address on my NON-Expired license.

Like others mentioned, the BMV presented me with my old license and a printed copy of my new license. I signed that copy, and was told to keep it in possession with my old license until my new one came in the mail.

The printed document even says that it is legal when presented with the previous credential (aka old license). So, sounds like you have to have the old ID with you until the new one comes in the mail.

Hoosier Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    When I did mine on 2/26/11 they refused to give my old one back after I asked for it they called the supervisor away from her donuts in the back and quoted policy to me. So it seems like somewhere there was a policy change and not everyone got the memo.

Maybe it's just an issue at the particular license branch you went to. My experience was the same as what jblomenberg16 said.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I too had the same experience as jblomenberg16

On March 9, 2011 I went to the Fishers license branch to update my non expired drivers license to have my new address on it. They did not keep my drivers license. I was asked if I wanted proof of address change and only then they printed off the paper copy and gave it to me. The paper copy that they gave me says in big bold lettes "Valid when Presented with Previous Credential". The new license should be coming in the mail something in the next week or 2.

Considering that the paper license states that it is only valid with "previous credential" I don't believe it is illegal to have both. Maybe there was a recent change in policy?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Considering that the paper license states that it is only valid with "previous credential" I don't believe it is illegal to have both.
    My paper copy said nothing of the sort....weird.....I got my hard copy in 3-4 days though so it wasn't a big deal, just two runs to Detroit....A few states I go to wouldn't have let that paper thingy fly though.

nk1124

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have the new license from the bmv here with me. The paperwork says to check the new one carefully Then destroy the old one. Thats how I found the address typo and have to go back to the branch because they can't fix it by phone. Soon I'll have three and hopefully that will be the last one for a few years.

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    My paper copy said nothing of the sort....weird.....

Last year when I moved from Texas to Indiana they took my Texas license and left me with only the paper license... buying beer at Meijer that week was a fun experience lol. Last week when I updated my Indiana license they had me keep my current one and gave me the paper one with the "previous credential" note on it

I liked the old way where they gave you a new license on the spot, oh well

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Last year when I moved from Texas to Indiana they took my Texas license and left me with only the paper license... buying beer at Meijer that week was a fun experience lol. Last week when I updated my Indiana license they had me keep my current one and gave me the paper one with the "previous credential" note on it

I liked the old way where they gave you a new license on the spot, oh well
    That must be it then, my old one was MN. They are both CDL A also, wasn't sure if that may have been the issue or not.....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom