• paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Sig Forum.
    R Grizzle.

He is THE Sig leatherbender. I've got a WarPig for my 228 and a T&C for my 4553TSW. They are well made (understatement,) protect from grinding into your side, and hold the grip nicely against your body.

T&C
    220TC.JPG

My WarPig he posted in the website gallery before shipping.
    WarPig.JPG

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    If you are not comfortable with it either physically or mentally, then you probably shouldn't do it. I am completely comfortable with both aspects. The rig you saw me wear is my EDC. I have driven 12 hours in a car with it and not been uncomfortable, but that is me, not you. I am not sure that I could do that with your Sig, although with the right holster it might be doable. My friend Josh Haines here is a larger guy and has a Sig like yours, not sure if he uses it for CC though. I'l have to ask. I must admit, that is the first time in a long time I was at a class where I was the only one carrying appendix. (well anti-appendix as I'm a lefty.)

Well, I was the only one sporting a Sig, too. That makes us both minorities. :D

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Sig Forum.
    R Grizzle.

He is THE Sig leatherbender. I've got a WarPig for my 228 and a T&C for my 4553TSW. They are well made (understatement,) protect from grinding into your side, and hold the grip nicely against your body.

T&C
    220TC.JPG

My WarPig he posted in the website gallery before shipping.
    WarPig.JPG

Sweet looking rigs! However, I will have to admit to being more of a Kydex man. If I can figure out a way to tolerate IWB, I may have to revisit my Comp-Tac. It has both Kydex and leather.

I had to trim down the Multi-Holster's sweat shield, because it was tall and stiff, jabbing into my gut as much as the hammer and tang of the gun. I can see how a leather sweat guard would be more pliable and protect from the gun's protuberances better.

It's one thing to buy new jeans to accomodate the larger waistband for IWB carry. It's quite another to buy an entire wardrobe of dress slacks for the same reason. That's where I thought that a nice, flat, OWB Kydex holster would be ideal. And it probably would be, were it not for the sharp pointy things on my beloved Sig.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I carry a full size 1911, Browning hi-power, and a Taurus PT-92, among others that are smaller, and the usual method of carry is IWB at 4-4:30. My favorite holster is the crosbreed style, my current brand being a Galco. I also have a DeSantis soft tuk that works, though I will admit that its not quite as comfortable.
    If you are having issues with your sig, possibly you just need to experiment with the cant, position, and depth of carry. Just a small tweak in position can make the world of difference between a numb butt and all day comfort...

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Like I said, a young, skinny guy! I hate skinny people. :D

Even being skinny, doesn't the muzzle jam into your thigh or your junk when you sit down? (Note: be careful how you answer that -- it may reflect poorly on your manhood.)

I may have to revisit appendix carry. I know that I can carry the P938 that way, but then it's so small that I can carry it just about ANY way.

I'm beginning to think that the most comfortable way for me to carry is just in my hand. "Well, officer, you see it's like this ... my particular body shape dictates that I open carry like this ..." :D

I'm neither young nor skinny (I've gained some weight since my avatar pic to the left), and I comfortably carry a full-sized 1911 in a fricke archangel aiwb. Sometimes one with an extra half inch or so of threaded barrel.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    YAY!!! I get to say it finally. That wouldn't happen if you OC. :D Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

On a serious note, get a holster that covers higher on the handgun. Kydex holsters are typically lower than the end of the firearm. Leather holsters, however, are typically a little higher than the end of the firearm and allow you to carry it closer and more comfortably.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    in a holster... doesn't violate any of the 4 rules

Yeah but it might not stay there. Sorry, I was taught gun safety young, now 40 + years later I don't care to have the muzzle pointed toward me whether loaded, unloaded, holstered, whatever. I would have to seriously retrain myself to think otherwise.
    I would love to carry that way, I am in a car quite a bit and that would be much better in a bucket seat. :twocents:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Come on over to the dark side. I carry a Glock 27 and sometimes a 23, in an IWB Galco King Tuk, and have driven straight through to FL wearing it and had no issues with comfort. This rig and gun(s) combo works well. I carry at the 5 - 5:30 position.

I tried appendix with a Ruger Sp101 many years ago, and admittedly I did not have a great holster for it, but the hammer caused me all kinds of issues, and I never got comfortable with appendix carry.

The Glock with the IWB, at the 5 - 5:30 has been the most comfortable rig I've ever carried.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    I carry 226s occasionally...gotta carry it IWB in the 4 or 5 O'Clock position...I use an Old Faithful Crossbreed copy. Works beautifully.

OK, here's what I'm gonna do ...

Much to my wife's chagrin, I'm going to buy a new pair of jeans LARGER than what I currently wear. They'll be baggy and uncomfortable, I'm sure.

I'll try carrying the Mk 25 in my Minotaur at about 4:00. It seems to be the most comfortable position for me, and the grip doesn't stick out as much with the Minotaur because I have it canted just right. Maybe, with the larger waistband, it won't be as uncomfortable and I can breathe for a change.

BTW, I did try shoving my Baby Sig into the appendix position this morning. It wasn't particularly uncomfortable ... but I still didn't like it pointing at My Boys. Just sayin' ...

scottm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Hobart
    I find IWB in the 3-4 position is what most concealers find the most comfortable to carry due to the physical location of the firearm and the ease of training. the Appendix carry works well with shorter muzzled weapons do to anatomy and I find with the small 380's and J-framed sized revolvers works better when a cover garment cannot cover the 3-4 position. the breaking of law #2 "muzzle direction" is a point when all the weapons safeties are being actively engaged, (drawing and firing) but when properly holstered should be a moot point.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carried a full sized 1911 for years in this:

Tail Gunner W/Straps

The tail keeps it from rocking, the flap keeps it from contacting your skin, and the high ride keeps it from jabbing you in the butt.

I carry a Sig P220 right now, but am not using an IWB yet.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Seems like to me your problem is your worried to much about what you gun looks like. If I wanted to carry a pretty gun I would carry my Python. But since I could care less about what my gun looks like
    or what people think, I carry a Glock.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have not had much luck carrying IWB and being comfortable. I've tried the MTAC and while it works Ok, I don't find it overly comfortable with either a mid-size 1911 or full size 1911. I've tried carrying a Glock 27 IWB using a Don Hume holster and it's better, but not best. The best way for me to carry concealed is with an OWB holster that I dress around. I can carry comfortably with a Sig Scorpion full size 1911, CZ 75 Compact or Glock. They all carry well like that. The key to comfortable OWB carry with a full size gun is the holster and belt. A good holster carried on a true reinforced gun capable belt can make any gun feel pretty good even after a full day of carry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, you are going to buy a Glock....get a-hold of yourself man. I am getting a bit portly as I age but still carry a full size 1911. Blackhawk serpa or a Galco. No issues.

Cowboy45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Whitley County
    I don't think I could ever carry my gun in the front.. My back side I am willing to lose.. But the front there is no way.. I carry a 1911 in a Galco IWB at about 4:00.. I have driven to Oklahoma and back and never even noticed it.. You might try adjusting the holster up.. So it is above the natural curve in your back when ya sit..

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    After my recent purchase of an XDm 5.25, I was trying several different ways to carry other than OC. I had an old IWB nylon $8 holster I cut open at the bottom to let the barrel through. After a few different positions, I settled at 2 o'clock with about a FBI cant. The barrel runs at an angle on my leg. I am a big guy so in this position, the grip is still tucked away. I have carried it for 5 days while driving, shopping and just around the house. Works great. Now I just find a nice IWB that let's me have the cant I need.

Top Bottom