I know it is legal to carry here, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    If I live on campus of a university (Purdue) but do not attend said university, can the university take any kind of action against me for carrying? I rent a house from an agency that is not directly affiliated with the university, but my house is located on campus. The main reason I ask is because I CC when I'm walking / driving around on campus If I were to be stopped and have my EDC found, I don't want it to effect my living situation. Could the university do anything to me?

Thanks!
    John

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Might check your rental agreement. I lived (for one day!) in a home in college that forbade guns. We (my 2 roommates & I) all had guns & had to move because of the issue.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    University, no. Futhermore, no criminal or civil liability, but if your landlord forbids weapons you're going to have to find a new place to live. That's my take, but IANAL.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    University, no. Futhermore, no criminal or civil liability, but if your landlord forbids weapons you're going to have to find a new place to live. That's my take, but IANAL.

100% this.

Your landlord can evict you, but there is no criminal liability for owning/carrying weapons in or around a university campus.

Alright. So assuming my landlord is "ok" with it, the university can't do diddly squat since I'm not a student?

Yes and if you were a student the only thing they could do is expel you. I'd also recommend printing out the pertinent IC, so you can show it to your landlord if you decide to ask him/her...They may not know the laws and could get freaked out they could get in trouble for harboring gun-toting vigilantes.

milewis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I would be weary of carrying on the campus proper. I know the law says schools, not universities, but I wouldn't want to be the one to test those waters. Campus, for the most part, is defined by a black railing that I would stay on the outside of, but ianal.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would be weary of carrying on the campus proper. I know the law says schools, not universities, but I wouldn't want to be the one to test those waters. Campus, for the most part, is defined by a black railing that I would stay on the outside of, but ianal.
    The law says schools and defines them. The definition excludes colleges and universities.

IC 20-18-2-16
    "School corporation"
    Sec. 16. (a) "School corporation", for purposes of this title (except IC 20-20-33, IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5, IC 20-26-7, IC 20-30-8, and IC 20-43), means a public school corporation established by Indiana law. The term includes a:
    (1) school city;
    (2) school town;
    (3) school township;
    (4) consolidated school corporation;
    (5) metropolitan school district;
    (6) township school corporation;
    (7) county school corporation;
    (8) united school corporation; or
    (9) community school corporation.
    (b) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-26-1 through IC 20-26-5 and IC 20-26-7, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-26-2-4.
    (c) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-20-33 and IC 20-30-8, includes a charter school (as defined in IC 20-24-1-4).
    (d) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-43, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-43-1-23.
    (e) "School corporation", for purposes of IC 20-28-11.5, has the meaning set forth in IC 20-28-11.5-3.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.2-2006, SEC.77; P.L.90-2011, SEC.3.

IC 20-33-8-4

"School purposes"
    Sec. 4. As used in this chapter, "school purposes" refers to the purposes for which a school corporation operates, including the following:
    (1) To promote knowledge and learning generally.
    (2) To maintain an orderly and effective educational system.
    (3) To take any action under the authority granted to school corporations and their governing bodies by IC 20-26-5 or by any other statute.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.17.
    IC 20-33-8-5
    "School property"
    Sec. 5. As used in this chapter, "school property" means the following:
    (1) A building or other structure owned or rented by a school corporation.
    (2) The grounds adjacent to and owned or rented in common with a building or other structure owned or rented by a school corporation.
    As added by P.L.1-2005, SEC.17.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    "campus" is bs. There's no way you'd be living in UNIVERSITY PROPERTY = IE CAMPUS if you were not a student or at the very least in some way affiliated with the university. Unless they hold the deed to the property you live on, you're not bound by any of their regulations or restrictions.

Sorry that's always driven me nuts - especially when my sister would refer to her house on Chauncey Hill as "campus". No. It's private property.

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County

The bill that was introduced by sen. Banks , and I believe died, this year was a to written to stop the schools from taking actions against the individual. Much the same as the parking lot law that protects us from our employers. So by congress writing this bill to stop the school to talking actions against students they have admitted that it's not illegal to carry on congress. IANAL but that the bill is written to stop schools from punishing students implies that it's not illegal. :twocents:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The bill that was introduced by sen. Banks , and I believe died, this year was a to written to stop the schools from taking actions against the individual. Much the same as the parking lot law that protects us from our employers. So by congress writing this bill to stop the school to talking actions against students they have admitted that it's not illegal to carry on congress. IANAL but that the bill is written to stop schools from punishing students implies that it's not illegal. :twocents:

Yep. That bill did die in committee... Never even heard in either house. Of note, it's not Congress (That's federal) but the General Assembly, or the state legislature. Same function at a different level of government. And no, it is not unlawful to carry on a college campus unless that college is prohibited under some other section of state law, such as being a K-12 school also. (There are some colleges, Ivy Tech, for example, that have HS students present for dual credit. There has been no court ruling on this point, however, to classify them as "schools" under the statutory definition, and as such, I don't feel like I'm contradicting my usual position of advising the safer course of action by being comfortable saying, "concealed means concealed" in that location.

Of course, if there is a licensed day care or actual k-12 school on the premises, I would caution in the strongest possible terms against carrying there; I do not advise anyone to break laws knowingly.

Blessings,
    Bill

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The only thing the "university" can do to a private citizen is ask them to leave any university-owned property, or trespass you if you do not.

Is your residence REALLY university property? Or, is it (more likely) next door to their property? Remember, a college "campus" is just a bunch of pretty lines on a map. They only have any real control over property they own, staff they employ, and students who pay tuition.

Top Bottom