• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    We had a family of red squirrels in our attic when we moved in two years ago. Get a 'Haveaheart' trap from Menards for $20 and some peanut butter. If my memory serves me right, I believe they start multiplying around February/March time frame.

We had to trim back the two trees near the house and use some metal mesh to keep them from chewing their way back in.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Over the years I have had good luck with the live traps getting rid of unwanted house guests. People in my neighborhood with dog doors and feeders in the garage provide a buffet for coons. We trap about 1-2 per month, and that seems to keep the problem under control.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I believe I have something living in my attic. No it's not my mother-in-law. It sounds too large to be mice. From my past experience with mice, they tend to scurry alot and are constantly on the move. This creature seems to stay in one place. It sounds about the size of a small squirel. I have checked the eves and soffits and can't seem to find anyplace for something to get in or out. Whatever is living up there has to eat sometime. I see no evidence of mice (ala poop) in the house or anywhere else. I would really like to evict them since they are not paying rent. Any ideas?

Flying squirrels they get quite active though and are about the size of a big mouse or chipmunk or possibly bats.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    could be a roof rat {do we have those in IN?:dunno:}
    put some rat traps in your attic...no need to bait them. just put them along the runners/walls. most little critters have bad eye sight and will run into the trap and get thier nogens caught. they travel along the walls because they cant see well and they use thier whiskers to feel thier way around. if its a squirrel the rat trap will take care of it as well.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    1) 1911

2) Maglite

Go into attic. Find eye glow. Fire. Repeat as needed.

I did this in the crawl space underneath the house. Make sure you're wearing good ear protection, though I'd recommend the ones with built in microphones.

Josh

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    1) 1911

2) Maglite

Go into attic. Find eye glow. Fire. Repeat as needed.

I did this in the crawl space underneath the house. Make sure you're wearing good ear protection, though I'd recommend the ones with built in microphones.

Josh
    :): +1 for the ear protection! I shot a .22 mag under a house going after a critter. between the flash and the pop it took me a bit to gain my berrings :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you can't / don't want to catch it try putting moth balls around the attic..
    once spring come find out how it got in and close up the hole..

I've used this method for years, with almost 100% results.

Enough moth balls will rob the available oxygen from an enclosed spaced. I've even used them to evict spiders from crawl spaces.

Do NOT use this method if you have anyone with respiratory problems in the house!

Top Bottom