I hate 2AM phone calls! This crap makes me mad.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I hate 2AM phone calls. Nothing good ever comes from them.

My cell rings at 2:15am this morning, waking me up. It's Western Union, wanting to make sure it was ME that was transferring money to someone else. I asked him, waking up fast now, what he was talking about. He asked me if I was the lovemachine, owner of card#1234, and I said yes. But, I didn't do that.

Someone has my damned card number. And tried sending $600 thru Western Union. I reported my card stolen, which is going to be a PITA. Luckily, Western Union stopped the transfer. But this crap still pisses me off.

Who does that this close to Christmas?
    How did Western Union get my cell number?
    How did that asshat get my card number?
    How can I get my hands around that asshat's throat?

:xmad:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Similar thing happened to me Friday. $2500 in iTunes. Only places I had used my card out of ordinary were reputable gun/gear vendors. **** me off. The guy on the credit card fraud line asked me if they had my permission to prosecute the fraud or some such thing. The answer I gave him can't be printed on INGO, lol.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A few years ago, somebody got a hold of one of our debit card numbers--I never use the thing and my wife swears she never lets it out of her sight. When we reported it to the Sheriff's office, they were kind of like "ho-hum...this happens all the time".

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    This is why I check every single thing I use my cards in for skimmers. They're easy enough to put on ATM's, gas pumps and the like. And it's also why I like the system Chili's has to pay right at the table. It's stupid easy to build a card skimmer, which is why this is so prevalent.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    It has happened to me as well. I now have the CC company send me a email every time the CC is used. That way I know if my number has been compromised.

IndyUSMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Noblesville
    Recently ate at a local Mexican restaurant. Upon arriving home 60 minutes later Amex called to see if I made a Walmart charge in Southern California. Nope but the restaurant charge is mine.

Coincidence? You be the judge.

Called the restaurant, manager not available. Called next day and manager said his people would not do that.

Reported online to police in case they had similar complaints.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I've had it happen to me also. I now have the card co. email me on all transactions. The best thing I've done. Already stopped a transaction about a year ago thanks to email notification.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My wife had her card # info stolen last year at Christmas. Tis the season for the credit/debit card fraud. It took us 60 days to get her back account fixed and get back the money they stole. I bought her the aluma wallet. It protects you from RFID scanners.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Must be the season, had Old National call me last night about 7pm about my wifes Debit card. She rarely uses it and someone was attempting to buy electronics in Colorado.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This is another reason to own and use a CC...for fraud protection.

Sure - you can certainly use a debit card - but you can open yourself up for a costlier and more lengthy resolution and refund.

Another poster here only transfers his needed monies into his debit card account when he wants to use his card to purchase online. This way - he greatly limits his exposure to having his checking account wiped out!

-J-

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    My wife had her card #'s stolen at a gas station in Battle Creek Michigan last year. She started receiving small items thru UPs and the mail. What these people do is they will buy a $20 item and have it sent to your house. Then they will see how long it takes you to call the company up and cancel it. That tells them what the window of opportunity is. Plus she was getting emails from loan companies saying she's been approved for a loan. Thankfully we stopped it quickly. I would love to get my hands on these parasites.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    RFID chipped cards are terrible. My wife and I don't have any debit cards from our bank......bank debit cards are the easiest to steal. Online bill paying is very vulnerable.

On top of that.....so many banks and online retailers have been hacked and had all of our information stolen. If you purchase online......it can be hacked as well.

My wife had her purse stolen several years ago. The guy wrote about $10,000 in checks to Wal-Mart and CVS buying Kool cigs and Vodka. Luckily, Wal-Mart, Kroger and CVS got to eat it.....instead of me. What these guys do is steal your checkbook then look at where you have written checks....knowing they won't ask you for ID since you write checks with them often. Although Krogers asked him for id.....they let him present my wifes drivers license. Stupid of them. We now have credit lock on our SS#'s. If anyone applies for credit, including us....we have to approve it with a password.

There are websites where you can purchase stolen cards.....for pennies on the dollar.

We recently had a neighbor get busted who was a waiter. He was taking photos of peoples cards when he checked them out....then he would order merchandise online and have it sent to a vacant home near our home...the police staked the home out and caught him red handed picking up his order.

If you ever want to read some interesting stuff on this go Google "The Iceman Fraud".........it is a real guy, Max Ray Butler, but I swear it should be a book or movie. The guy stole millions from people......and laughed as the US Government tried to catch him. His routers were set up in Iran where the US didnt have cooperation. He hacked cardmaker sites and stole all their inventory of stolen card info....then routed them to his own site. It got heavy, they started narcing on the competition...so he could gain their customers. Greed destroyed them all.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I check ALL my financial accounts EVERY morning. The nice thing is most companies now show the pending transactions. I was able to deal with a situation a few months ago before it ever got posted to the account.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A good friend was having the same experience. He found out his daughters A$$ hat boy friend had gotten all of their info while roaming through the house. Not saying this is what you are exposed to but keep your info close to you.

My daughter had one of her idiot boyfriends do this to her several years ago. SS# was taken as well.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Spyware. 2 years ago someone tried to use my debit card number in Europe. Come to find out it was a program on my computer that tracked/transmitted my key strokes. A conventional anti-virus would not touch it. He had to design a custom removal tool to remove the virus. He suggested Avast antivirus to prevent this from happening again. Scary part is that he has seen these attached to YouTube and Facebook videos.

Top Bottom