I hate 2AM phone calls! This crap makes me mad.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    The only time my CC info has ever been hacked/stolen is also (coincidence?) the only time I have order from Midwayusa.com. Got a call at 8am the next morning asking if I had made charges in England from the CC company. Charges were automatically denied, card deactivated, new card issued.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Most of the time it isn't your local computer, but the remote site. We've had fraudulent transactions several times, after using a CC online. Some sites just simply are not secure, and worse yet - their employees are crooks (just take your card info right out of the database).

Not much you can do, other than have a single card for online transactions that has decent fraud protection. We have a Visa card that will call or txt me for large purchases, or for several "micro" purchases (like when a crook is testing the card a penny at a time). This time of year, when the crooks are busy, I get a few txt messages.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    It's not just the skimmers, it's the RFID cards. If you have an RFID card, and it is not in a metal case, you are vulnerable.

My wife had her card # info stolen last year at Christmas. Tis the season for the credit/debit card fraud. It took us 60 days to get her back account fixed and get back the money they stole. I bought her the aluma wallet. It protects you from RFID scanners.

I put a nail through the chip in the card and dig out the innards.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Not much you can do, other than have a single card for online transactions that has decent fraud protection. We have a Visa card that will call or txt me for large purchases, or for several "micro" purchases (like when a crook is testing the card a penny at a time). This time of year, when the crooks are busy, I get a few txt messages.
    This is what my mom does, use 1 credit card for online only, and the one she has has a very low credit limit, under $200 so if she does end up having to pay a charge it's not 10 of thousands! My bank called me a few months ago and asked if I'd made purchases in Cleveland on whatever date. I was like, um, no, they got me $20, and then over drafted my account. I got it all back after a week or so. The lady that helped me with the paperwork said they will just make a batch of cards randomly and use them to see which one works?

Watch restraurants to, we went to cheddars in avon awhile back, they charged us twice, so my wife called, the manager said we were charged 21 something for the meal and a $5 tip, the other charge was for a $7 meal and a $19 tip!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've had a few good 2am calls, and they came from the local sheriff's office.

I'm on my county's "road-kill" list for deer.

Top Bottom