• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I was thinking about making a 10/22 barrel.....something like the Tac-Sol barrels. Their barrels are aluminum with a sleeve. The only issure I forsee would be drilling for the sleeve. All you would need is a barrel liner drill bit and a liner. Brownells sell both. What else am I missing.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    nothing.... i have been contemplating a ruger 10/22 build into an m1 garand clone... in order to do this i must put a liner into a old m1 barrel.... its as simple as cleaning some surfaces... epoxying the liner in.... using a lathe to cut the liner to the right specs ones its in place, cutting the extractor notch, and recrowning the muzzle.
    simple right?

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    What would keep the drill bit from wandering if theres no initial hole to guide it.
    I think that's deep hole drilling in machinest terms and there are special machines and tools for that to keep the bit from wandering/flexing, clearing chips etc.
    I know the barrel makers who drill steel have problems with the above and ream then center turn the blank after it is drilled. this is before rifling. They also hold tolerances to .0003 at a minimum.
    I would also want to consult with an aluminum supplier to also make sure I chose the right alloy. certain alloys may have the tensile strength but won't machine well.

I have would no idea how to press the liner in w/o bending it?

Steve

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    drilling for the liner is a special machining process. there is a shop in Edinbugh that has the proper equipment and capabilites. I will try to get there name and post it in this thread

Top Bottom