• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I've got a little "buck 110" look alike about an inch or two long. It says Simmons on it. I think it came free with a Simmons scope in some package deal thing. I've had it and carried it for years and years to be honest. It looks like it should be a Buck until you open the blade and it says China on it. It holds an edge, because it's a little nipper and get's used like one. It's handy, I've skinned more than a few squirrels with it when I didn't have any thing else.

I'm sure not going to expect it to do the things I'd expect of a real knife, not going to complain when it won't fillet fish or skin a deer. It's a cheap imitation of a knife that let's me save my grandpa's pocket knife at home in my reloading tool box. I'd bet I could get your knife sharp but it wouldn't STAY sharp even if you don't use it, it would be dull in a few weeks.

Jack I agree,(did I just say that :n00b:) which is why I said I liked them at $2. I don't expect them to stand up to abuse. I've been surprised at how well the first one has held up. And like I said it holds a decent edge. I didn't sharpen it for the first 6mo I had it, and although it didn't get a whole lot of use, it would still shave hairs off my arm. Granted it wasn't a baby smooth but it would still do it. It does the job I got it for and I won't shed a tear when it gets trashed or I lose it. It's just a bit bigger version of your Simmons. I do carry a cheap walmart Kershaw for when I need something approaching a real knife.

I have spent money on good knives before although not as much as some(most?) here, I think the most I've spent so far was about $125-150 for a chef knife back in the early '90s. I was telling my Mom about it and she couldn't understand spending that kind of money on a kitchen knife. Her entire knife set was something like $50 and included the block. So I brought it over for her to try. She still couldn't see spending the money on it, but understood why I did.

Look at it this way. Are you going to use a precision hollow ground gunsmith screwdriver to scrape grout? Or the 99c bargain bin one?

ETA I forgot this, you mentioned Buck going downhill, I haven't heard anything about that. I'm not saying your wrong, just that I haven't heard about it. Do you have anything I could check out about that?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom