• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree you get what you pay for. Step up to a more quality knife and you will not be disappointed. Good luck in your decision

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I like the Blur, assisted opening is a must!... Let me get back to you this weekend on it. No more purchases this week!!!

thanks!

An alternative you might consider to an assisted opening knife, is one with a wave. Spyderco and Emerson both have blades with these options.

I used to swear by my knives that had assisted opening until I got my Spyderco Endura4 with a wave on the blade.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    smith and wesson doesn't make the knives. its marketing. product branding.

Hummm... really?

I've heard of companies living off their name for a while before. Selling their good name essentially just passing off any kind of cheap crap and slapping their name on it. Seems to me it usually happens as the long slide down hill is getting rough and fast. Buck has just started. At least they still label theirs with the latin words for "cheap crap we are just slapping our name on". Made in China.

At least knives are still their business, so far.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    S&W knives get no love from me and many others here.

No love what so ever brother. Cheap Chinese Crap!

Hey I have love well at least like for the ones I bought. Whats not to like about finding usable, losable knives for 2 buck on clearance at Rural King. Heck you can't even find Pakistani knives at flea markets for that. I think I bought 6-8 of them.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hey I have love well at least like for the ones I bought. Whats not to like about finding usable, losable knives for 2 buck on clearance at Rural King. Heck you can't even find Pakistani knives at flea markets for that. I think I bought 6-8 of them.

They are crap. I'd rather try to gnaw my own hands off with my teeth than carry that kind of junk around for years waiting for the day I might need it.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

your saying this to a guy who drops $300 on benchmade folders(yeah thats right I said benchmade) I use all my knives hard, so I need a knife that will take more than $2 worth of abuse. if you like them great, that means more quality knives available to me.:D

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Call me crazy, but all my life I have always had this vision of cheap folders closing at the wrong time and taking off some or all of your fingers. Besdies the fact they are going to break anyway.

Am I the only one who thinks this? I need to know.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Call me crazy, but all my life I have always had this vision of cheap folders closing at the wrong time and taking off some or all of your fingers. Besdies the fact they are going to break anyway.

And Zoup has stubby fingers so he needs every bit of all of them:D

Ok I have only met Zoub once and I do not recall the stubbiness or non stubbiness of his fingers.

I too have this fear!

I have a few S&W knives somewhere from years ago when I didn't know any better.

I have a small buck folder that I got as a wedding present for being in a guys wedding. I am sure it was not a real high $$ knife but for what it is it seems decent.

Until last week I carried a Kershaw Zing, bought it at Wal-Mart on sale for 30 (normally 50) The general consensus on here is that it is a good knife at that price point, I would say much better than the S&W crap.

Last week I decided to spend some real money on a ZT 0301. yes I spent over $200 on a folder but it should hold up to abuse.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

no, you are among many people who agree.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    And Zoup has stubby fingers so he needs every bit of all of them:D
    Most of my fingers have exaggerated ring sizes due to being broken and jammed etc.....but I don't think it is anything anyone would notice on all ten of my fingers and thumbs. :draw:

Cost of a cheap knife, $20, A finger.........Priceless

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

:yesway:

I have this fear from learning the hard way...I had a cheap $10 knife that I flicked open with a wrist flick and the liner lock didn't lock up ....the blade came flying back and nailed me pretty good.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They are crap. I'd rather try to gnaw my own hands off with my teeth than carry that kind of junk around for years waiting for the day I might need it.

What do you mean carry for years waiting for the day I might need it? Do you think I'm carrying it as a defensive knife? :laugh: I bought them because for 2 bucks they are a "decent" usable and losable knife. If I drop it in the water when I'm fishing :dunno:. They work just fine for cutting fishing line or bait, even for twine and light rope. Someone wants to borrow it and they lose it? I'm out $2 again :dunno:

your saying this to a guy who drops $300 on benchmade folders(yeah thats right I said benchmade) I use all my knives hard, so I need a knife that will take more than $2 worth of abuse. if you like them great, that means more quality knives available to me.:D

I like quality knives also. See above for the reason I like the ones I bought. Would I have paid the original price on them? Hell no. I think they were listed at something like $35. :): But in a clearance cart for $2 for a pretty much disposable knife. Heck yeah.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    $80 is pushing it for a knife i may potentially lose in work pants or have it fall out while getting in and out of trucks all day

Well, you have to weigh the cost with your intended use. There's nothing wrong with cheap beaters if that's their purpose and your expectations are realistic. I know roofers who follow a similar strategy with circular saws. That is, they buy cheapos knowing they're going to drop them off a roof sometime. When they wreck one, they buy another and don't sweat it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    What do you mean carry for years waiting for the day I might need it? Do you think I'm carrying it as a defensive knife? :laugh: I bought them because for 2 bucks they are a "decent" usable and losable knife. If I drop it in the water when I'm fishing :dunno:. They work just fine for cutting fishing line or bait, even for twine and light rope. Someone wants to borrow it and they lose it? I'm out $2 again :dunno:

I like quality knives also. See above for the reason I like the ones I bought. Would I have paid the original price on them? Hell no. I think they were listed at something like $35. :): But in a clearance cart for $2 for a pretty much disposable knife. Heck yeah.

I could be wrong, but if I read him correctly, Jack's saying that he may need to depend on his knife to keep a good edge and not break and isn't sure he'll be able to if it's just cheap crap.

FWIW, I carry a S&W folder. It keeps a good edge and I use it often. I like that I can get it open with a wrist flick and it's never yet failed to lock up like it's supposed to. I've also had it for about 9 or 10 years, as in from before their quality went to :poop:. I'll keep this one as long as I can because it still serves my purposes, but the next knife I buy won't be a Smith, not after what I've seen about them here.

Blessings,
    Bill

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I could be wrong, but if I read him correctly, Jack's saying that he may need to depend on his knife to keep a good edge and not break and isn't sure he'll be able to if it's just cheap crap.

FWIW, I carry a S&W folder. It keeps a good edge and I use it often. I like that I can get it open with a wrist flick and it's never yet failed to lock up like it's supposed to. I've also had it for about 9 or 10 years, as in from before their quality went to :poop:. I'll keep this one as long as I can because it still serves my purposes, but the next knife I buy won't be a Smith, not after what I've seen about them here.

Blessings,
    Bill

It's quite possible you read him correctly. It wouldn't be the first time I've misunderstood someone on here. And probably not the last.

The one I've been carrying has lasted 3-4 years so far. Keeps a decent edge and also has never failed to lock up. Although in all honestly I did break about 1/16" off the tip off last week. But it was my own fault I was using it like a pry bar when I was working on my nieces car and the tip on it [strike]is[/strike] was dang near needle like. But a pass or three on a grinder and a couple of minutes with a stone fixed it up.

And I won't buy another smith knife either, unless I find a deal on them like I did.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Thissmall.jpg
    iagree.gif

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I have carried the same Al Mar SERE for over 8 yrs. It's top mounted pocket clip prevents loss.

S&W knives are junk.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It's quite possible you read him correctly. It wouldn't be the first time I've misunderstood someone on here. And probably not the last.

I'm saying there are lots of time when I "could use" a knife but there are scissors handy, nail clippers in my pocket or the job could just wait. Then there are times when I really need a KNIFE. I'd hate to carry some POS around wearing a hole in my pocket, rubbing my leg and taking up room where something useful could be and then get it out to find as far as knives go it makes great thread nippers.

I've got a little "buck 110" look alike about an inch or two long. It says Simmons on it. I think it came free with a Simmons scope in some package deal thing. I've had it and carried it for years and years to be honest. It looks like it should be a Buck until you open the blade and it says China on it. It holds an edge, because it's a little nipper and get's used like one. It's handy, I've skinned more than a few squirrels with it when I didn't have any thing else.

I'm sure not going to expect it to do the things I'd expect of a real knife, not going to complain when it won't fillet fish or skin a deer. It's a cheap imitation of a knife that let's me save my grandpa's pocket knife at home in my reloading tool box. I'd bet I could get your knife sharp but it wouldn't STAY sharp even if you don't use it, it would be dull in a few weeks.

That's what I've seen in cheap throw away knives. Sure they'll get sharp if you know what you are doing, they won't BE sharp when you need them or stay sharp long enough to cut all four flaps off a cardboard box. The cheap ones my wife bought had a stupid serrated edge right where you would want to cut box flaps. They are junk, I would GIVE them away.

If I want a knife I care about enough to complain if it doesn't do a knife's job, I'll get it from a reputable knife maker not a gun maker, scope maker, Cracker Jack or Mc Donalds and it won't be made in Japan, China, Pakistan...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom