I give up looking for a shield! Bought a 9c today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spence1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    After weeks turning in to months and my patience being reduced to zero, I went
    Out this morning and bought the MP 9C smith.

With the small backstrap on it, it seems to fit my hand just fine. I hope with the added weight and a little larger frame, the "felt" recoil will be ok. (I have small arthritic hands).

Sooooo what you guys think? Did I make a mistake? Should I have waited? I hope not! Can't wait to shoot it maybe this weekend!

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I haven't shot the Shield, but the 9c is a very well balanced gun imho. Not too big, not to small, and shoots very nicely. I could shoot mine all day long if I could afford the ammo.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't think you made a mistake, especially if you don't own anything to carry right now. You will be pleasee with the 9c.

DeezArmory

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like a good buy to me! I think that the enhanced capacity sufficiently makes up for being slightly less compact than the Shield. I don't blame you for not waiting, when your trigger finger is itchy, you just gotta scratch it!

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I did the same thing. Bought a 9c Monday. I haven't been looking religiously for a Shield though. Plus I already had a fullsize M&P so the compact fits the same holsters. Still plan to pick up the Shield when I can find them though. So yes, I agree you did well.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The 9c is OkieGirl's EDC. Recoil is not ugly & when she gets her grip right, she can produce groups that would turn into a bad day for the bad guy..

I like it as well but I have big hands so it's tough to get a good grip on it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The two are really pretty close in size, although I found the shield a little too thin in the grip for my liking.

I'll bet you do not regret your choice.

Congrats on the new gun.:rockwoot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    the 9c is a fantastic firearm.

It'll shine with the pinky extensions on the compact mags.

It really shines with full-size mags and XGrip grip sleeves.

-J-

spence1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks a lot everybody! When I walked out of the store, I was already feeling pretty good. And now after reading everyone's take on the gun, I feel real good now.

I know one thing. I was carrying a kel tec pf9 that I had bought used from the same dealer. Gave him 200 for it at the time. He took it back and I got the 9c, a cheap iwb holster ( till I can figure out a good one) and a uovla(or what ever you call it) for 460 OTD. Point being, that kel tec was an absolute "turd" to shoot! So I KNOW I'm in tons better shape than I was. (weapon wise anyway)

Roger

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I own and have carried a 9c for about two years now. Excellent little gun! Congrats!

I actually prefer to shoot it without the pinky extension. I called S&W and requested a flat mag base pad because I didn't like the pinky extension and they where like; LOL WUT!? :n00b: Never the less, I received one in the mail from them free of charge!

Edit: For IWB, I use the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Very comfortable and concealable. I have done some minor modifications to make it just right for me though.

spence1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I own and have carried a 9c for about two years now. Excellent little gun! Congrats!

I actually prefer to shoot it without the pinky extension. I called S&W and requested a flat mag base pad because I didUn't like the pinky extension and they where like; LOL WUT!? :n00b: Never the less, I received one in the mail from them free of charge!

Edit: For IWB, I use the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Very comfortable and concealable. I have done some minor modifications to make it just right for me though.

Been looking at holsters some tonight online. My son uses the super tuck also. The looks don't appeal to me much and they look bulky. BUT. I've never tried one. Guess maybe I need too. :D

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I use the crossbreed with my 9c too. It is probably the best IWB holster around. There was one for sale in the classifieds so you can get it soon, otherwise if you order from them count on minimum 4 weeks. And always get the holster for the fullsize in case you ever decide to add some hardware to the collection. The compact fits the fullsize holster but the fullsize won't always fit the compact holster.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Been looking at holsters some tonight online. My son uses the super tuck also. The looks don't appeal to me much and they look bulky. BUT. I've never tried one. Guess maybe I need too. :D

By bulky I guess you mean wide, not fat. Yes, it is wide, but it is comfortable. I ordered the combat cut and even cut off a little more leather from the top so that it would be a little more concealable for my skinny @$$. I also stuck some adhesive soft side of Velcro on the back side of the metal clips because they would rub against the leather and squeak. Once you have the clips placed where you want them and the holster is broken in, I would recommend using BLUE (the lower strenght kind) locktite on those screws. I have found that after repeated taking the holster on and off, one of the screws seems to work its way loose. The other thing I did was increase the retention on the kydex which is easy enough. I found that after the leather gets broken it, it streatches a little and loosens the retention. I suppose different people and body types may have some different experiences with different types of holsters, but overall for an IWB holster I would recommend it.

I would not recommend the SnapSlide (CrossBreed's OWB) however. I think it is good as a range holster but not much else.

I also ordered their 1 1/2" belt and it fits with the clips very well. I carried the CBST for almost a year without the gun belt and will say that after both the belt and holster are worn in, it does make a difference in comfort. It is something I don't think you would realize until after you get a gun belt though. I'll be honest and say it wasn't a huge difference, but it was noticeable. I think the gun belt is a must for OWB holsters.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I just looked up Crossbreed's "seconds" website and there are plenty of M&P supertucks available. My recommendation would be for you to get one of these in horsehide and don't worry about the combat cut because that is something you can do on your own with a utility knife. Also, from their seconds website, you won't have the 4 week wait period. It's a win, win!

Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters

PM me if you have a question about how the combat cut is supposed to look and I can send you some pictures.

spence1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I just looked up Crossbreed's "seconds" website and there are plenty of M&P supertucks available. My recommendation would be for you to get one of these in horsehide and don't worry about the combat cut because that is something you can do on your own with a utility knife. Also, from their seconds website, you won't have the 4 week wait period. It's a win, win!

Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters

PM me if you have a question about how the combat cut is supposed to look and I can send you some pictures.

Thanks for all the great info mike! (and everybody)
    I'm gonna check that link now. Thanks again!

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NWI
    As much as I want another Shield (still kick myself for letting the first one go), I'm leaning towards a 9c as well. It holds more rounds, comes with 3 backstraps, and you can find mags for it. The only con is that it's slightly thicker.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    After weeks turning in to months and my patience being reduced to zero, I went
    Out this morning and bought the MP 9C smith.

With the small backstrap on it, it seems to fit my hand just fine. I hope with the added weight and a little larger frame, the "felt" recoil will be ok. (I have small arthritic hands).

Sooooo what you guys think? Did I make a mistake? Should I have waited? I hope not! Can't wait to shoot it maybe this weekend!

I prefer the 9c to the Shield. I am a lefty, so the 9c can be converted over for left hand use. Shield can't. Plus, i have BIG paws. Too big for the Shield.

Top Bottom