• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    My uncle has a vault in his basement out in ohio. He used an old bank vault door he picked up here in indiana from a closing bank. Its concealed by a huge wall of shelves on hidden wheels you'd never know its there! even has an air pipe to the yard in case you get trapped in!!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    So how is the vault progressing?

Pretty much done, with a few additions.

Currently waiting on two things, steel plate to harden the ceiling, and a longer control panel wiring harness.

The bump was actually to help another member asking about a safe/vault door.

I'm no good at links:dunno:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That would probably be me.
    Thanks.
    I'm still very much in the conceptual stages, but every bit of info I can find will be helpful.

Found a rather extensive build buy a guy who says he is obsessive compulsive. It's on a site I can't remember and I'm not at that computer right now.
    I'll edit this with a link tomorrow. It's that interesting.

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    Can't wait till I have a house with a basement...

Glad to see you're hardening the ceiling of the vault. That would be the first thing a thief with any time on his hands would try. Not going to defeat a steel vault door? Go around.

What is your de-humidifier solution for such a big room? One of those plug-in floor units?
    What about flooding? Is there a sump pump?

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    My uncle has a vault in his basement out in ohio. He used an old bank vault door he picked up here in indiana from a closing bank. Its concealed by a huge wall of shelves on hidden wheels you'd never know its there! even has an air pipe to the yard in case you get trapped in!!

Dad and I had the opportunity to get a bank vault door and frame, but we decided against it. If someone messed with it trying to break in, who are you going to get to unlock it? I highly doubt the original manufacturer would do it cheaply, if at all. Didn't want to risk getting everything locked up for real!

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I just wish I had a basement for a project like that. Been thinking about building a concrete bunker, err , I mean storm cellar for the wife and daughter. Yeahhh, storm cellar, that's what I meant.

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    Nice...

I have a basement with a convenient 3 wall area with poured concrete that I am thinking about turning into a vault. There are pipes above the room in the floor that tend to freeze. This concerns me for dropping lots of insulation on the floor joist to seal the room.

I am not sure what would be the best way to keep humidity out of the room also.

Any thoughts?

Astrocreep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indy
    @ Professor Thump:
    Your plumbing in the basement shouldn't be freezing in winter. You probably have massive air leaks and insulation problems in the basement and possibly your home in general. I've been in cold basements, but below freezing? ouch.
    I would consult an insulation contractor and a plumber before you do any other projects down there.
    I'd contact them before it gets really cold again too.

The OP hasn't responded with his humidity control ideas yet, but I know several people that get those free-standing electric de-humidifiers from the hardware store for their basement. You have to drain them regularly or run a hose to the sump in your basement, but they seem to work pretty well.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I saw a special a long time ago about a guy that spent YEARS building a cold war bunker under his house. It was huge! It had several secret access points, when you went in (down) it looked like a well built and equipped bunker but that was the false bunker. There was another secret entrance from that secret room that opened up into a military grade subterranean home. There were entire areas from there that were not shown. I have for the life of me not been able to find anything about this since. I think I remember it being in Washington state. The house was in as typical a suburban neighborhood as you can imagine and his neighbors had no idea he did it even though he spent every weekend and evening for about 20 years working on it. If this rings a bell with anyone I would to be able to find it.

Reps for the person who is able to find this.

I just realized this is a thread jack. I am starting a new one for it.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elp_me_find_a_cold_war_bunker.html#post614199

Last edited:

Professor Thump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Indy
    @ Professor Thump:
    Your plumbing in the basement shouldn't be freezing in winter. You probably have massive air leaks and insulation problems in the basement and possibly your home in general. I've been in cold basements, but below freezing? ouch.
    I would consult an insulation contractor and a plumber before you do any other projects down there.
    I'd contact them before it gets really cold again too.

The OP hasn't responded with his humidity control ideas yet, but I know several people that get those free-standing electric de-humidifiers from the hardware store for their basement. You have to drain them regularly or run a hose to the sump in your basement, but they seem to work pretty well.

Sorry if I am thread jacking also but I will explain this...the pipes are in the outside wall before going into the floor. This is where the problem is. On top of this they put the insulation in front of the pipes instead between the pipes and the exterior sheathing. I think I have cleared this problem up but I wanted to be sure.

I talked to a vault builder today and took some pictures. I will post those in a new thread.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can't wait till I have a house with a basement...

Glad to see you're hardening the ceiling of the vault. That would be the first thing a thief with any time on his hands would try. Not going to defeat a steel vault door? Go around.

What is your de-humidifier solution for such a big room? One of those plug-in floor units?
    What about flooding? Is there a sump pump?

Home owner is going to install a room-sized dehumidifier in the room, and we have installed vent work, both feed and return, into the vault, so it will maintain the same humidity levels as the rest of the house.

He is evidently not concerned with flooding. The house sits on the sided of a 35degree slope, so no problem with standing water.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    sounds awesome. I will definitely put one in a house someday. It's either going to be putting in a vault or buying a bunch of safes at this rate.

Bluehazemay

Modern Pirate Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Brownsburg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No offense, but if I paid big money for a vault, I'd be really, really, ****** when I found pictures of it on the internet.

I'd probably be really ****** when I found it being mentioned... a public forums is well... public, and it's not to hard to find out who someone is and follow them to the job site.

Well, actually, my customer SUGGESTED I take pictures of our work for our portfolio:D and even said o.k. to posting them on the "interwebs". I TOLD you he was a nice guy!

I was out in the vault today as a matter of fact. We finished it about a week ago, but now he wants more pistol shelves already!

We received a GREAT compliment today, from the supplier of the vault door. The rep was there today at the same time I was and told us that this vault is the nicest looking interior finish he has seen, "..and I've seen a LOT of them..!":rockwoot:

Now, my reason for posting is to ask for help. I need someone willing to help me post the pics here. I'm COMPLETELY computer illiterate! I have a digital disc of pics, but not the first clue how to put them on my computer, let alone host somewhere else, then cut and paste...or whatever?

Anyone in Lafayette area willing to take a disc from me, and post the pics here?
    I've got a few rep points for you:popcorn:

Top Bottom