I feel weird asking, buuut… anybody here work for the FBI?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    So I have a scammer on the hook pretty hard and I’m curious if it’s worth turning them over to the authorities or not.

I posted a WTB ad on another forum for a Leupold 1.5-5x20 (I’ll put an ad up here soon too lol), and this guy responded with an illuminated version. He sent me photos in my email that to the untrained eye looked pretty good, though something about them felt off a bit. I chalked it up to bad lighting, and since I’d never seen the illuminated duplex in that model, I did some googling to see if I could find a pic of one. I did, and it happened to be in an old GunsInternational.com ad for a scope that sold. That scope bore an uncanny resemblance to the one this guy sent me, so I looked deeper.

Turns out, it’s the exact same scope/exact same photos, with two small differences: the floor/background was changed, and one digit in the serial number was changed (last two digits of the scammer are “88,” last two of the real one are “98”). Everything else is exactly the same. Same fibers in the same places, same wear on the caps, same scratches, the levers on the QD rings are in the same positions, etc. He took the real photos, changed the serial by one digit, and then changed the backgrounds and shadows (which was the part that seemed a little off to me, because it was).

I confirmed the scam by asking for a pic of the reticle, and he simply pulled the same exact reticle photo from the ad and sent it to me.

He’s asking $375, which is about $125 or so less than I’d expect an illuminated VX-III 1.5-5x20 to cost. He wants payment using a USPS money order, so I’d get either an address or a PO box or something I could direct law enforcement to. Is this worth forwarding to authorities, or should I just tell him I’m keen to his scam and to go fornicate with himself? Since he wants to use the post office to both receive payment and “send the scope,” that would be a federal offense, no? I know $375 isn’t much, but if he’s taking numerous people for that, it adds up (and he may be trying to take others for much more). Thoughts?

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Juice isnt worth the squeeze. Its petty theft. Maybe if he was selling guns illegally they might care.

And yet a few years ago they were interested in a fake check (“oops, we overpaid,” cash this and give the overage back to the guy we send to pick up the item we ‘bought’”) my wife got when selling a nice dress online, and that was only a $600 check. Our complaint was the fourth or fifth they’d had, so they were building a case. Maybe times have changed though, hence my asking.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and the difficulty is getting them to wrap their head around the nuances of whats going on. Maybe the postal inspectors might care about it since its all via USPS. But they may not really care until you actually get scammed by him.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    If he was within a couple hrs drive I'd send him an empty envelope.
    Forward him the tracking number, then go see who turns up to get it... make him facebook famous.

Then again, I'm retired and got WAY the hell too much time on my hands.

Then again, if you really want him looked into... call him out as a Trump supporter, and a conservative evangelist gun owner threat to democracy.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    FBI what?

images

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And yet a few years ago they were interested in a fake check (“oops, we overpaid,” cash this and give the overage back to the guy we send to pick up the item we ‘bought’”) my wife got when selling a nice dress online, and that was only a $600 check. Our complaint was the fourth or fifth they’d had, so they were building a case. Maybe times have changed though, hence my asking.
    So why not report it the same way you did that situation.
    It could be different if they guy had a website and was purporting to sell new fakes in which case you can report to most legit companies who are looking to protect their rep and work to get these fakes shutdown.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    So why not report it the same way you did that situation.
    It could be different if they guy had a website and was purporting to sell new fakes in which case you can report to most legit companies who are looking to protect their rep and work to get these fakes shutdown.

Well, in that case they reached out to us. As someone who buys/sells regularly, I had immediate red flags pop up when my wife explained the situation, and when the check arrived they were confirmed. So we reached out to the company that was supposedly on the check, only to find they weren’t in business anymore. Then I contacted the “issuing bank” who connected us with the FBI. So I suppose the circumstances were different and there was a known established case.

In this situation, I don’t know if any of that is true and figured I’d try to “get a finger” on things if anyone here was connected with federal LEO in any way. Never hurts to ask, right? :)

So I may report it and see what happens I guess. Or I may send a nasty gram or an MO hand drawn with crayons and a note about a fake check for a fake scope as suggested above lol.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom