• Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    THIS ^^^

Seriously, it works and you don't have to worry about your pets or kids. This along with foil or steel wool in any holes you find will eventually solve your problem. Its likely going to take some vigilance no matter what method you use.

Huh, never heard of that. Live and learn.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Just curious, but why are you dead set against a cat? Make it an outside only cat...

Not wanting one should be plenty enough reason, but I'm also mildly allergic.

There are plenty of outside cats already...I run a black cat and a tan cat out of my yard on a regular basis. If they are eating the mice, they need to eat more.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Side Note: rat poison contains Coumadin, It is a blood thinner. It works wonders on rodents. It also has similar effects on humans. My friend, who was at the time 29, had a heart valve replaced. He had to take the blood thinner Coumadin, he looked like a corpse and stated he felt so. He is good to go now. But yes, they give rat poison to heart patients. Or they give heart meds to rats......??????????? Either way it is some nasty stuff.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    I get great results with the block baits. Usually Walmart has the Tomcat brand, around $4 for 8 blocks. When the weather first turned cold they came into the house and a few were pretty brazen, showing themselves in the kitchen. I put blocks under the kitchen sink, under the oven, and behind the fridge. Repeat as necessary and after a few days they disappeared and I've never had a hint of an odor, although I've noticed a few carcasses in the crawlspace. I have found two small dried up dead mice in the basement over the years but they never smelled either. I may go with the peppermint oil as a deterrent next time.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    bar bait and lots of it, I mean buy an 8lb container and place it anywhere and everwhere you find a hole, than watch to see where they are fedding and do it again every 7 days until they quit feeding, Use something like Tomcat, or another brand with warfin. You might even get rat bait because it will last longer. If there is any stink light candles and deal with it, you would rather smell them than have diseased rodents running rampat.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I really appreciate all of the suggestions, but just in case I didn't make it clear before,

I. Am. NOT. Getting. A. Cat.

Again, the cat suggestions are appreciated, but not necessary because IT'S NOT HAPPENING. So you can quit mentioning cats at anytime.

I'm going to clean under the sink and set out the D-Con here in a minute.

I guess I'll go ahead and put some more traps out too.

You should try getting a cat. :p Or you can be cool and train your dog to chase the mice. Our old dog would chase the mice and we're trying to get our new puppy to do the same, but we're not seeing too many mice around here. *knocks on wood*

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Not wanting one should be plenty enough reason, but I'm also mildly allergic.

There are plenty of outside cats already...I run a black cat and a tan cat out of my yard on a regular basis. If they are eating the mice, they need to eat more.
    Hell Benny!!
    How much time would you spend at McDonald's if Ronald came out from behind the counter and screamed at you every time you came in for a meal??

:laugh:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Hell Benny!!
    How much time would you spend at McDonald's if Ronald came out from behind the counter and screamed at you every time you came in for a meal??

:laugh:

I guess I should clarify...As soon as the door opens up, they hightail it out of there. They've never torn anything up or dug through my trash, so I couldn't care less that they are there.

Having a hyper + curious 90+lb German Shepherd puppy probably doesn't help with them sticking around either.:):

Oh and McDonalds sucks, so I wouldn't spend time there even if he was nice.:D

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm sitting here reading this thread while my cold-blooded killa cat purrs next to me on the couch.

I know you say you hate cats. I was the same way until last year when a pathetic, orphaned orange kitten found its way to our door in 0 degree weather.

Now I have this furry thing that follows me around, yet isn't needy. Stays outside for days at a time in the summer... yet comes when I call him.

My dog had a BIG problem with the cat until day three when the cat gave him a ninja swat on the snout that forever changed their relationship.

My cat even cruises the perimeter of the pool while we're swimming looking to take out any vermin nearby.

The cat even likes to go outside in the middle of the snowstorm.

And, did I mention my cat used to get laid all the time at our old house? He's fixed, so no unnecessary procreation is taking place, but he had quite a harem.

Anyhow, if I had a mice problem as bad as yours, I'd probably be okay with a mountain lion living in my house. So give a cat a little thought. Just a little... :D

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm sitting here reading this thread while my cold-blooded killa cat purrs next to me on the couch.

I know you say you hate cats. I was the same way until last year when a pathetic, orphaned orange kitten found its way to our door in 0 degree weather.

Now I have this furry thing that follows me around, yet isn't needy. Stays outside for days at a time in the summer... yet comes when I call him.

My dog had a BIG problem with the cat until day three when the cat gave him a ninja swat on the snout that forever changed their relationship.

My cat even cruises the perimeter of the pool while we're swimming looking to take out any vermin nearby.

The cat even likes to go outside in the middle of the snowstorm.

And, did I mention my cat used to get laid all the time at our old house? He's fixed, so no unnecessary procreation is taking place, but he had quite a harem.

Anyhow, if I had a mice problem as bad as yours, I'd probably be okay with a mountain lion living in my house. So give a cat a little thought. Just a little... :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    anymore victims in your war on vermin?

Not since the 2 under the sink and the 1 I actually heard get caught.

I haven't heard any this evening/tonight, so that's a good thing...I think there could be an end to these bastards in the near future, but I set out some Dcon in their main hot spot for good measure.

BTW, the next time suggests me getting a cat, I'm going to go set a bowl of antifreeze outside my house in a location only a cat can get to.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    :(
    cat_sniper.gif

Last edited:

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    Last winter I caught 38 mice in my garage. This past summer I cleared out everything in the garage and sealed off every small hole I could find. This year I have caught 2. I feel your pain, it drove me crazy.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Last winter I caught 38 mice in my garage. This past summer I cleared out everything in the garage and sealed off every small hole I could find. This year I have caught 2. I feel your pain, it drove me crazy.

Damn, 38 is a LOT...At least they weren't in the house.

I'm a pretty stubborn guy, but if my house was being over-run by filthy vermin, I wouldn't rule anything out.

I think the problem is getting better, but it wouldn't matter either way...I'm allergic and the hair ball would end up hiding the majority of the time because my 1 year old puppy wouldn't leave it alone.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Damn, 38 is a LOT...At least they weren't in the house.

I think the problem is getting better, but it wouldn't matter either way...I'm allergic and the hair ball would end up hiding the majority of the time because my 1 year old puppy wouldn't leave it alone.

Good point about the dog bothering the cat...

My cat put my dog inline with a brief, but effective ass kicking. But, that cat does hide when other dogs come over for a visit. Kind of weird. Maybe if the dogs were to stay longer, my cat would open up another can of whoop ass. Who knows?

Anyhow, I actually despised cats until Whiskers found us.

You may end up with a cat someday... stranger things have happened.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom