• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    these are the best snap type traps I have used. Snap Traps || Heavy Duty Mouse Trap

they utilize a trigger platform in conjunction with a recessed bait holder to ensure that it WILL go off. plus they couldn't be any easier to set, just pinch them open. the rat sized ones work really well for chipmunks in your garden as well.

Yeah, those traps are nice, but I'm not too keen on cleaning dead mice out of traps and since there are/were so friggin' many of them, I like the disposable traps that cost $.25...If they get away from the first one, I have 10 more for them.

the poison is slow acting but will kill them all if they eat enough.. get more & keep feeding it to them..

Yes, I know...I'm actually out of poison right now, but I'm planning on getting several more boxes here in a few.

I need to get the little bastard that is eating my dogs food...He found a safe place that has plenty of food and he won't come out to play.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Cats are just as bad as mice. Want a box of Sh** in your house? Get a cat. Hey I was just in my litter box now I want to see whats on the counter or jump on you and knead my sh** paws all over you.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Cats are just as bad as mice. Want a box of Sh** in your house? Get a cat. Hey I was just in my litter box now I want to see whats on the counter or jump on you and knead my sh** paws all over you.

EXACTLY!!!

Anyway, I just checked one of my more hidden traps and I got another!

I'm getting ready to drop my son off at OT and on my way home I'm going to get a few more traps and a couple boxes of poison...I think if I can catch the mouse that I keep hearing scratching in the corner of the kitchen, my problem will be almost fixed.:yesway:

I say "fixed, because all of the other mice have been eating the poison or getting caught in the snap traps, so they don't have much longer." That and I'm not not seeing or hearing them anymore, which I hope is a really good sign.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have also heard of putting a dowel rod across the top of a 5 gallon bucket. Fill the bucket half way with water, and put an empty toilet paper roll on the dowel. Smear some peanut butter on the toilet paper tube, and run a yard stick or piece of wood up to the top of the bucket for a ramp. They get to the top and try to reach for the peanut butter, sometimes even jumping to the toilet paper tube. They eventually fall in the water and can't get out.

I can see this working short the ramp thing. I've NEVER had any luck with the ramp. Instead set it next to a shelf they are already using. I use a 2 gallon bucket to keep the top lower and I drill a hole in both ends of a plastic pop bottle but I like the tp tube idea. I don't like the peanut butter bait though. Use a piece of dog food if you have it for dogs. That's what they are most used to being safe to eat and recognisable to them.

I like this trap best as a constant early warning type trap rather than a wipe out hordes of them trap though it will do both. I leave it set in the barn all the time. When I see a mouse in it, I know I need to start checking, check the poison baits, re set snap traps, make sure there's no food out any where.

I give the dog about 30 minutes to eat and put the bowl back in the metal garbage can I keep the bag in. Keep all garbage and trash in metal cans with lids on tight.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm pretty sure they have made my house their permanent place of residence.:xmad:

If I go through all 12 of the traps I bought tonight, I'll make a trip to Rural King.

BTW, I just checked on the mouse traps I set under the sink less than an hour ago and one of the traps had all of the PB eaten off of it.

Start poisoning them OUTSIDE the house so you don't have to smell them die.

Outside trap but you could poison them here too. They will gather under something like this before they move in to your house.
    17547a_trap_093.jpg

Dug the whole to get the bucket trap edge down close and easy for them.
    17547a_trap_095.jpg

Wrong on the wooden dog food container, don't do plastic either, get metal with lid that seals down over it. = Garbage can.

To set poison bait stations in out buildings get those poison bars look like snickers bars and slide it in a plastic pipe and put a nail through each end so the dog can't get it out but they can get in. YOU HAVE TO ELIMINATE THE DOG FOOD ACCESS TOTALLY, dog food is an antidote to the poison.
    aMousebaitproject21.jpg

They feel nice and comfy inside that pipe and eat until they are full. haha ha:rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Tomorrow morning I'll snap a picture of 3 dead mice under my kitchen sink.

Either that or a picture of three mouse traps minus the peanut butter.:rolleyes:

You are gonna have to start watching Billy the Exterminator. He recomends cashews. I agree. Peanut butter will create an ant problem if you use it enough. If you use peanut butter, use the newer style traps with the big trigger that looks like cheese.

They like cashews and they are better for the educated mice and old style traps.

Put a rubber band around the trap and over the trigger, now set the trap with no bait on the trigger, but you'll have to be holding the trigger up so the rubber band can't tip it. Now push the cashew under the trigger. It's now IMPOSSIBLE to get the cashew out from under the trigger with out the rubber band tripping it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You are gonna have to start watching Billy the Exterminator. He recomends cashews. I agree. Peanut butter will create an ant problem if you use it enough. If you use peanut butter, use the newer style traps with the big trigger that looks like cheese.

They like cashews and they are better for the educated mice and old style traps.

Put a rubber band around the trap and over the trigger, now set the trap with no bait on the trigger, but you'll have to be holding the trigger up so the rubber band can't tip it. Now push the cashew under the trigger. It's now IMPOSSIBLE to get the cashew out from under the trigger with out the rubber band tripping it.

I think I'm going to need a visual for this one.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think I'm going to need a visual for this one.

Get a clean brand new trap.

Put a rubber band around the trap so it holds the trigger down. Now you must pull up against the rubber band to make the trigger hold the ...

Lift the bar and set the trap.

Now the trigger you've been putting bait on is up and if they step on it, it would snap the trap right?

Push your finger UNDER that trigger and it's impossible to push down and snap the trap.

Stretch a rubber band over the trap and on to the trigger so now if you pulled your finger out the rubber band would snap the trap.

Replace your finger with a cashew or peanut under the trigger.

Never mind, I'll find one and take a picture.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Yeah, so there was a hole in the bottom where the knot in the board fell out right next to the side(in the box I was storing the dog food).

I took some steel wool, covered it in silicone, wadded it up into a ball and shoved it in there...If they try to get back in, hopefully I kill a few in the process.

When I removed the dog food box, I immediately kicked myself for not doing it sooner...I thought it was just one mouse getting in there, but it was an entire colony.

The night I removed that food source, I set out 8 traps and had to reuse 6 of them...I killed 15 mice before I went to bed.:rolleyes: (****ing disgusting and embarrassing)

Since then, I haven't seen any mice out in the open and I've only trapped one; the rest are eating the poison, which isn't a bad thing. I actually just found a poisoned one today...I no longer hear them scratching around and I know they are just about gone because the amount of poison they are eating is getting less and less by the day.

I have my fingers crossed that I will be mouse free before my super bowl party.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yeah, so there was a hole in the bottom where the knot in the board fell out right next to the side(in the box I was storing the dog food).

I took some steel wool, covered it in silicone, wadded it up into a ball and shoved it in there...If they try to get back in, hopefully I kill a few in the process.

When I removed the dog food box, I immediately kicked myself for not doing it sooner...I thought it was just one mouse getting in there, but it was an entire colony.

The night I removed that food source, I set out 8 traps and had to reuse 6 of them...I killed 15 mice before I went to bed.:rolleyes: (****ing disgusting and embarrassing)

Since then, I haven't seen any mice out in the open and I've only trapped one; the rest are eating the poison, which isn't a bad thing. I actually just found a poisoned one today...I no longer hear them scratching around and I know they are just about gone because the amount of poison they are eating is getting less and less by the day.

I have my fingers crossed that I will be mouse free before my super bowl party.[/quote]
    Look on the bright side Benny!
    It they're still around you can serve little mouse appetizers at the party. :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Look on the bright side Benny!
    It they're still around you can serve little mouse appetizers at the party. :D

That's been mentioned by just about everyone that is coming over next Sunday.
    (Yes, I've been doing a lot of complaining about this problem)

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I didn't read all 12 pages of this, but the best way to bait snap traps is to take a peanut and split it in half and put a couple drops of super glue on the flat side of the peanut and glue it to the bait lever. The peanut stays on usually even after the kill. No more bait stealing rodents, just dead ones. The old wooden Victor mouse traps with the metal triggers are by far the best. The ones you get now days with the plastic triggers suck.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I suggested that he nuke em from orbit.
    I don't think Benny wants to do that either. :dunno:

I'm open for all ideas right about now...They have been tearing that poison up, so I should probably wait a few more days before nuking them.

I'm still mad at myself for not fixing the dog food problem earlier.

Their only options for food now is peanut butter(SNAP!) or poison, so it's only a matter of time.

I think they are going outside to get water, because those two cats that hang around my yard have been showing up a lot more lately...I just really hope dead mice dying in my walls is kept to a minimum.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom