I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I see what you mean tombs, like the grip safety on 1911's. I mean the manual safety that you have to move your thumb or other finger up to disengage. One more step that would slow down response time. As for the rest of your comment...I'm in 100% agreement.:yesway:

I really hope you are not advocating carrying a 1911 without the thumb safety engaged.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    I carry Condition Zero, but I certainly do think there are scenarios that I have read where a gun, even if the slide had to be racked, would have helped.
    I don't disagree that it is best to carry ready to shoot, but I would bet for every example where a second cost somebody their life, there is an example where someone had a few seconds they wish they would have had some type of gun, no matter if it was locked and loaded.

I would like to read some examples, if you can post something.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I carry Condition Zero, but I certainly do think there are scenarios that I have read where a gun, even if the slide had to be racked, would have helped.
    I don't disagree that it is best to carry ready to shoot, but I would bet for every example where a second cost somebody their life, there is an example where someone had a few seconds they wish they would have had some type of gun, no matter if it was locked and loaded.

Examples of what?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If you mean examples of real life consequences, read this thread.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

False dichotomy for the win.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    LOL! That I get. I mean HamYankee's post.

LOL!

I'll give it a go.

He carries locked and loaded but thinks that having a gun ready-to-go or not, is better than having none at all. At least that's what I got out of it, though I admit some lines needed reading in between. I could be completely wrong.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I carried without one in the chamber for awhile but after serious thought I realized I would be dead before I could draw and get the gun into action. Being that I have one to three of my kids most of the time I carry ready to go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    OK. Let's go with that. So, having a gun when you need it is better than not having one, even if it's not ready to shoot.

I suppose.

...unless compliance would have resulted in you not being injured, you pull your non-functional firearm because you are armed and don't have to comply, and catch a bullet as a result. I truly hate the "its better than nothing" argument, because sometimes it isn't. If you're going to escalate the situation, you better be prepared to end it fast and hard.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ...unless compliance would have resulted in you not being injured, you pull your non-functional firearm because you are armed and don't have to comply, and catch a bullet as a result. I truly hate the "its better than nothing" argument, because sometimes it isn't. If you're going to escalate the situation, you better be prepared to end it fast and hard.

That's why I suggested he read this thread for an example.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    That's what I was thinking. I may not draw in every situation. If I feel I may cause more harm than good by drawing then I won't do it. Drawing an unchambered gun on someone who already had their gun out is likely a suicidal move.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    That's what I was thinking. I may not draw in every situation. If I feel I may cause more harm than good by drawing then I won't do it. Drawing an unchambered gun on someone who already had their gun out is likely a suicidal move.

Unless you are oldpink. :twocents:

Top Bottom