I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Unless my gun has manual safety, I'm gonna carry it with an empty chamber, at least until I'm 100% comfortable with it. The risk of getting shot by my noob finger is far greater than the risk of getting shot by a bad guy.

My gun has a manual safety. It's called a finger...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    81bnldparsL._SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: THIS IS MY SAFETY Military Tacitcal Velcro Morale Patch black hawk down movie: Everything Else

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I had training, it's just that I'm so new that I don't have the correct 'muscle memory' yet.
    You've had training but you have'nt developed the proper [STRIKE]"muscle memory"[/STRIKE] trigger discipline to keep your booger hook off the trigger untill you are on the intended target and ready to fire yet?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My opinion, manual safety's are just a bother on guns.

Perhaps on guns that weren't designed to need them, but that certainly doesn't apply to all guns.

If you don't know how to responsibly handle a firearm, Don't own one.

Not everyone has the opportunity to borrow one to learn and get comfortable with prior to buying one of their own.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    My opinion, manual safety's are just a bother on guns. If you don't know how to responsibly handle a firearm, Don't own one.

I believe the only person you can really expect to keep their finger off the trigger, without any training, is someone who is missing their trigger finger.

Guns are designed for your finger to be on the trigger. That's how guns work. Its the natural way to hold a gun. This is why it requires training to correct this habit.

Also, there are surely countless, undocumented incidents where the safety on the family target gun has saved the life of a family member. Not everybody knows how to keep their finger off the trigger the first time they ever hold a gun.

The best thing you can do is help to teach these new firearms enthusiasts (and pro 2nd amendment voters) the safe way to handle and enjoy firearms. The worst thing you can do is tell people not to own a firearm just because they haven't been trained how to handle them.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I believe the only person you can really expect to keep their finger off the trigger, without any training, is someone who is missing their trigger finger.
    Not everybody knows how to keep their finger off the trigger the first time they ever hold a gun.

The first time most people touch a gun, it is handed to them. That person (IMO) is responsible for showing the newb where his/her finger(s) go. You don't need "training" to remember to keep your finger off the damn trigger until you're ready to shoot!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    The first time most people touch a gun, it is handed to them. That person (IMO) is responsible for showing the newb where his/her finger(s) go. You don't need "training" to remember to keep your finger off the damn trigger until you're ready to shoot!

The act of showing someone how to do something is, by definition, training them.

Also, yes, many first time shooters are children, and children absolutely need training to REMEMBER (meaning more than just the first time) how to keep their finger out of that "little loop where your finger goes".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw

I think I see what the problem is. It seems like maybe you are assuming I mean PROFESSIONAL training. That's not at all what I was suggesting. I am saying people need to be trained (read: taught/instructed/shown/demonstrated/etc.). To be safe with a firearm.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My opinion, manual safety's are just a bother on guns. If you don't know how to responsibly handle a firearm, Don't own one.

I disagree if it's a 1911 or has a safety arrangement that becomes part of how you hold the gun. It doesn't slow down getting that weapon into the fight.

Otherwise, yes they are.

As for the topic, anyone who feels their firearm is too dangerous to carry loaded, they need to dispose of the dysfunctional firearm and buy a firearm they trust. Keeping that firearm is a disservice to everyone around you, if it's honestly that dangerous it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If the firearm is functional and trust worthy and you still carry it unloaded, then you need to re-read the 4 firearm safety rules. All firearms are always loaded. You thinking an empty chamber makes it safer demonstrates a failure to obey the 4 firearm safety rules. If this knowledge isn't enough to convince you otherwise, please sell all your firearms before you kill someone with your willful disregard for the 4 rules.

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    I see what you mean tombs, like the grip safety on 1911's. I mean the manual safety that you have to move your thumb or other finger up to disengage. One more step that would slow down response time. As for the rest of your comment...I'm in 100% agreement.:yesway:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I see what you mean tombs, like the grip safety on 1911's. I mean the manual safety that you have to move your thumb or other finger up to disengage. One more step that would slow down response time. As for the rest of your comment...I'm in 100% agreement.:yesway:

1911s have thumb safeties. You just have to train for that, so thumb down on the safety is a part of your draw stroke. Once you get it, it doesn't slow you down.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    that's why they make safes. If a person doesnt know to keep their finger off the trigger, they don't need to be around the gun. Gun Gripes Episode 18: The Psychology of Gun Ownership - YouTube fast forward to the 1:00 mark.

Rule 3 applies to all firearms whether they have external safeties or not. The thumb safety in combination with the single action design of a 1911 is tried and true and has been successful for over 100 years. If you are too obtuse to use it as directed (or unwilling to learn or train to do so), feel free to choose a different weapon.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You would think that after well over 100 years of experience with 1911s not randomly going bang that folks would be more comfortable with the idea of having a round chambered. How many millions of hours have passed where a pistol has been carried all day long with just the safety keeping the sear in place on the hammer. Billions of hours of carry probably. Add to that the untold number of hours that Glocks or other striker fired pistols have been carried all day long with a round chambered and that spring loaded striker sitting right behind the primer with no problems encountered. I think it's probably in the billions of hours as well. In all of those billions of hours of chambered carry, how many times have the guns simply gone off without some outside action? I don't recall a single story of a gun going off by itself with zero interaction with anything.

Given that and Kirk's First Law of Gun Carry; 'Keep your hands off the gun while carrying it', how much more will it take to make someone comfortable with carrying with a chambered round? The simple way to guarantee safe carry is to buy a quality gun, buy a good belt and a quality holster, use quality ammo and then just don't touch the thing when carried. If that advice is followed, your chances of a mishap are less than the chance that you will be randomly struck by lightning on a clear blue day while holding the winning ticket to a 500 million dollar powerball lottery at the same time Gwyneth Paltrow decides she wants to have your baby.

Top Bottom