• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I always feel weird about this, so I'll put it here and let the true veterans tell me what they think of me.

I turned 18 in October 1970 and registered with Selective Service. I graduated from high school half a year later and planned to attend Rose Polytechnic Institute, which became Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology before I actually got there.

The class matriculating in 1971 was not eligible for student deferments, since the fighting in Viet Nam was continuing at a blistering pace. I was in the second (I think) draft lottery, and my number came up 36. Viet Nam, here I come.

I got called for a pre-induction physical sometime in the fall of 1971. I went through the physical in Indianapolis (quite depersonalizing) and passed it except for a question about my knee. I had had a football injury in the summer of 1970 with subsequent meniscus surgery, back in the days before arthroscopic surgery. My recovery wasn't as good as I would have hoped. Actually, I think the surgery was botched, because I still have trouble today.

Anyway, they sent me to an orthopod, who pronounced me fit enough to fight for my country.

On the way back to Terre Haute, I began to think that I would rather go to Viet Nam as an officer than as a grunt. (Please, don't take this as a demeaning thing. I would probably think much differently about it today.) So I joined up with Army ROTC asap. This instantly deferred my service until after college, which was all I really wanted.

I did three years of ROTC. The war was ending about the time I finished my third year. I did all the obligatory stuff for ROTC. I added on the Special Forces Group, which went out and played war on the weekends even when everybody else didn't. I was eventually a squad leader in SFG. I've done a lot of schlepping of the M14 and I've eaten a lot of C rations. That was the best part of ROTC.

After three years, it was time to go the ROTC summer camp at Fort Riley, Manhattan, Kansas.

I was issued my junk, including an M16 which I never got to fire. Then, on about the second day of camp, we had our physical. And I thought the pre-induction physical was demeaning.

We walked around for half a day wearing nothing but our boots and socks, carrying everything else in our helmets.

Anyway, guess what? My knee came up on the radar again. Again, I went to an army orthopod, who said I had degenerative arthritis and would soon be in a wheelchair and wasn't fit to be an officer.

All told, I had five days of actual Army active duty. Two were travel days to and from Fort Riley. One was a real one, where I had to do pull ups to get into the mess hall and double time it everywhere. One was the physical day and the other I spent lying in the barracks waiting to go home. (Except for when I snuck out to take the swimming test I had missed while at the doctor. Took it passed it. Got back and lay back on my bed and no one ever knew it. All under "no PT" orders. Probably grounds for court martial.)

So officially, I'm a veteran with five days of active duty. I have an honorable discharge for medical reasons from the US Army. When I tell people, they laugh at me. I tell them I also had three years of ROTC training, and usually they totally discount that. Mostly, I do too.

The deal is, when people ask the veterans present to stand up or hold up their hands, I'm pretty reluctant to do it. Should I just keep my mouth shut? What do you think of me? Do you still want to be my friend?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You did it, you went thru the process. You did not end up getting shipped out, but you are still a vet to me, and I still want to be your friend :yesway: :patriot:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Ditto...

You did the training, you gave of yourself and wore the uniform. I respect anyone who has done that.

:patriot: :ingo:

We weren't freinds to begin with....just kidding. :D :cheers: :patriot: :ingo:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The deal is, when people ask the veterans present to stand up or hold up their hands, I'm pretty reluctant to do it. Should I just keep my mouth shut? What do you think of me?

My Dad joined the Navy right out of high school, but served less than a year before getting a medical discharge. His was also for arthritis, even though the condition has not bothered him much in the almost 50 years since.

He still gets a pension check every month, and gets his medications through the VA. Even though he didn't serve his full contract and never deployed anywhere other than San Diego and Great Lakes, he is still a "veteran" in the eyes of the US Government, and that's good enough for him (and me).

On a personal level, when it comes to honoring those who have served our country, I don't make a distinction between someone being a veteran and being a combat veteran. All of you have made sacrifices in your lives so that the rest of us can live ours in peace and freedom, and for that I thank you. :patriot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Yup, your a vet to me. You made it one step further than I did. I took the ASVAB in high school, and scored high enough to get into the Navy's Nuclear Engineering program. IE nuclear engineering degree paid for by the govt, then a trip with uncle sam on a boat for a few years (probably a sub Im guessing). I went to sign up, and was denied because I have asthma. Would have rather been a Marine anyway, but still disappointed to this day they wouldnt take me for that.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    To me this is one of those areas that are "touchy" , kinda like messing with the flag .

There's what the regs. say , and then there's personal opinion .

IMO no , I wouldn't call you a vet . That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to know you , or be your friend .

To be on the safe side , I probably wouldn't volunteer that story again .

hardtrailz400

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Batesvegas
    I appreciate your honesty and consider you a vet. I never came close to joining. I support my friends that have served...combat or not, but it was never an interest to me unil recently, but at almost 30 with a decent career going, I think I will just stay supportive and let the non-fat guys do the protection of our country. I am to BIG of target these days.

Thanks for your service.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Because I know some salty, bitter combat vets , who regularly make fun of folks with his "experience" .

The conversation usually ends with them agreeing that "bad things" should happen to those who try to fake it . (PG Version)
    Do you interpret my story as me trying to fake it? I don't think you read what I wrote.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Almost as soon as I posted that I realized I should have elaborated on it .

IMO no , I don't think you tried to fake it . I don't know you personally , so I have no reason to think you would lie about your intension's .

However , I can tell you that your decision to go to school is looked at by some as a convenient way to dodge service .

I know this because I hear the way they talk about it , and it ain't pretty .
    It sure as hell isn't nice .

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    It matters not one scintilla what others think, perceive or believe. What matters is what YOU believe. Do what you believe in your own mind to be right and proper.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    rmcrob: You could not have known that the war/conflict was going to end when it did. You were being processed and getting prepared. Just because the war didn't wait for you doesn't mean you weren't willing to serve your country.

Regarding:
    Because I know some salty, bitter combat vets , who regularly make fun of folks with his "experience" .

The conversation usually ends with them agreeing that "bad things" should happen to those who try to fake it

There's always some ex-GI (and current GI) that needs to complain or bitch. I don't know of anyone I served with that didn't bitch about something or other.:dunno:

Top Bottom