Hypothetical Assault Weapon Ban Question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FWJK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    Given the recent catastrophe in Orlando and lib politicians immediately connecting this to our need for more gun control - I have a quick question for INGO that I was thinking about this morning. Let's say that they are able to somehow ban "assualt weapons" (AR/AK types). I understand that you would no longer be allowed to purchase going forward. But what about those (most) of us that already own those rifles? Will they be able to confiscate them? Or would we be grandfathered in?

:ingo::ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Most likely grandfathered in like the last time. But if they do choose to go the confiscation route expect two things:

"Sorry officer, they were lost in a tragic boating accident and I no longer am in possession of them." (Please disregard the freshly disturbed soil in the back yard)

Or

"You can have my rifle one bullet at a time... "

But this does bring up one fun problem with a ban. The dude that was caught out in Cali with supposed plans to harm someone at the gay pride parade? His two rifles found in the car were supposed to have been surrendered I heard this AM on the drive to work; He had a conviction for intimidation (or something like that) for brandishing a firearm in a threatening way and part of his plea deal/probation agreement was to get rid of all of his guns. Im quite positive this type of "oversight" is far from unique.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Most likely grandfathered in like the last time. But if they do choose to go the confiscation route expect two things:

"Sorry officer, they were lost in a tragic boating accident and I no longer am in possession of them." (Please disregard the freshly disturbed soil in the back yard)

Or

"You can have my rifle one bullet at a time... "

But this does bring up one fun problem with a ban. The dude that was caught out in Cali with supposed plans to harm someone at the gay pride parade? His two rifles found in the car were supposed to have been surrendered I heard this AM on the drive to work; He had a conviction for intimidation (or something like that) for brandishing a firearm in a threatening way and part of his plea deal/probation agreement was to get rid of all of his guns. Im quite positive this type of "oversight" is far from unique.
    The LEOs are now saying he never said he was going to harm anyone.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The LEOs are now saying he never said he was going to harm anyone.

Agreed. That is why I said "supposed". The initial reports are changing. It now sounds more like "wrong state with the wrong trunkload of range gear". (disregarding the probation)

But lets not get off track from the OP too quickly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    To answer OP's question, no, there will be no confiscation, at least in the door-to-door "and over your weapons" way. That's too dangerous for the collectors, and would create hella backlash. The climate simply doesn't exist to confiscate weapons, though a ban on particular weapons is indeed possible.
    A smart tyrant, would simply require that all firearms of a particular type are registered and non-transferrable. When the owner dies, they revert to the state. If they can't be located, because of a tragic boating accident, no problem.... but if they ever turn up, in the back of someone's car you'll probably be imprisoned.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I believe grandfathered firearms in Canada are taken possession of by the authorities upon the owner's death. Ban, grandfather, register, and wait a couple of decades. No door-to-door confiscation needed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Given the recent catastrophe in Orlando and lib politicians immediately connecting this to our need for more gun control - I have a quick question for INGO that I was thinking about this morning. Let's say that they are able to somehow ban "assualt weapons" (AR/AK types). I understand that you would no longer be allowed to purchase going forward. But what about those (most) of us that already own those rifles? Will they be able to confiscate them? Or would we be grandfathered in?

:ingo::ingo:

FWJK, not being sarcastic, but we cannot answer these questions until we see any proposed language.

Now is the time to fight this nonsense. Join up, send money, get active.

As well, lowers and mags. Fill up the Rubbermaid tubs, but you should have been doing that since September 2004.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    The glock had a lot of clips in it. Per Obama and this brilliant news bulletin that I am watching. I have watched this and you hear more about gun control than the victims.

Top Bottom