• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    After listening for about a week, whines about Tea party protest, and then seeing some Black USDA worker actually, in reality discrimminate against a White farmer, and undoubtedly did more than once.

LOOK AT WHAT THE NAACP is saying NOW! :xmad:

The Associated Press: NAACP retracts criticism of USDA worker

NAACP retracts criticism of USDA worker
    By BEN EVANS and MARY CLARE JALONICK (AP) – 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — NAACP leaders are calling on the Obama administration to reconsider its ousting of a black Agriculture Department worker who was pushed out of her job over racially tinged remarks, reversing their previous criticism of the employee.

NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous said in a statement that the group was "snookered" into believing that USDA employee Shirley Sherrod expressed racist sentiments at a local NAACP meeting in Georgia earlier this year. Jealous said conservative activist Andrew Breitbart, whose website posted video of Sherrod's remarks, deceived millions of people by releasing only partial clips. He said the full video makes clear that Sherrod was telling a story of racial unity.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — A black employee who resigned from the Agriculture Department over comments at a Georgia NAACP meeting said Tuesday the White House forced her out of her job over a manufactured racial controversy.

Shirley Sherrod, who until Tuesday was USDA's director of rural development in Georgia, said she was on the road Monday when USDA deputy undersecretary Cheryl Cook called her and told her the White House wanted her to resign. "They called me twice," Sherrod told The Associated Press in an interview. "The last time they asked me to pull over the side of the road and submit my resignation on my Blackberry, and that's what I did."
    A USDA spokesman would not comment on whether the White House was involved, but Secretary Tom Vilsack issued a statement saying the agency has no tolerance for discrimination.

The NAACP, meanwhile, appeared to be reconsidering its response to Sherrod. The civil rights group initially condemned the employee's comments, but officials said Tuesday that it is conducting a more thorough review.

The controversy began Monday when the conservative website - Big Government posted a two-minute, 38-second video clip of Sherrod's remarks to a local NAACP banquet.

In the video, Sherrod talks about the first time a white farmer came to her for help when she worked for a nonprofit rural farm aid group in 1986. She said he came in acting "superior" to her and that she debated how much help to give him.

"I was struggling with the fact that so many black people had lost their farmland and here I was faced with helping a white person save their land," she said.

Initially, she said, "I didn't give him the full force of what I could do" and only gave him enough help to keep his case progressing.

But, she said, his situation ultimately "opened my eyes" that helping farmers wasn't so much about race but was "about the poor versus those who have."

The video ends before her speech concludes. Sherrod said Tuesday the clip appears to intentionally misconstrue the message of the story, which is that the case taught her that whites are struggling just like blacks. She says she ultimately became close friends with the farmer and helped him for two years to save his farm.

"My point in telling that story is that working with him helped me to see that it wasn't just a black and white issue," she told The AP. "That's why I take the time to tell that story is to tell people we need to get beyond it and work together."

Sherrod, who became USDA's director of rural development in Georgia last year, said the administration showed a lack of backbone in its reaction.

Biggovernment.com, which gained fame after releasing video of workers for the community organizing group ACORN counseling actors posing as a pimp and prostitute, offered the video as evidence that the NAACP condones racism.

The national NAACP, which recently accused the Tea Party of condoning racist elements, immediately responded by condemning Sherrod's comments and supporting USDA's handling of the matter.

"According to her remarks, she mistreated a white farmer in need of assistance because of his race," NAACP President Benjamin Todd Jealous said in a statement Monday night. "We are appalled by her actions, just as we are with abuses of power against farmers of color and female farmers."

After years of civil rights lawsuits against the agency, Vilsack said USDA has "been working hard through the past 18 months to reverse the checkered civil rights history at the department and take the issue of fairness and equality very seriously."

The Associated Press: NAACP retracts criticism of USDA worker

Sounds like someone is trying to recreate they're story?

How does one talk about how they discrimminated against a White man... and then talk about "we're in this together."? Unless ofcourse she meant "WE" as in the NAACP supporters, it's quite clear from previous stories, she is working in favor of a Black Anti-White agenda..

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    the government has turned everything into a racist ordeal its the only thing they have to use againest whites,most white people are scared of that because they arnt and dont want to be marked,and the gov. knows it.everyone except for whites will have no punishment for racial treatment.

tca1352

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    The Full Unedited Shirley Sherrod Speech - National - The Atlantic

Farmer's wife says fired USDA official helped save their land; USDA will not rehire

Well, Shirley Sherrod has at least one friend sticking up for her:
    The former official, Shirley Sherrod, "kept us out of bankruptcy," said Eloise Spooner, 82, of Iron City in southwest Georgia. Spooner, in an interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, added she considers Sherrod a "friend for life." She and her husband, Roger Spooner, approached Sherrod for help in 1986 when Sherrod worked for a nonprofit that assisted farmers....Eloise Spooner said as far as she's concerned Sherrod worked tirelessly to help the couple hold onto their land as they faced bankruptcy....Spooner said she'll stand up for her friend. "She helped us and we're going to help them," she said.

Racist?...Far from it in imho......

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I will certainly need to do more research.

But if The Atlantic is right, which judging by wiki, I am abit skeptical.

Then I am extremely furious, that something so innocent, was made to appear so evil.

Again I will research some more on this, however, I would not be surprised if the Elitist Machine stepped in to make this matter appear as if it was just a big ole Right wing conspiracy.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Shirley Sherrod told the story at a NAACP luncheon. She described not doing all she could for the white farmer and turning him over to "one of his own kind." Later in her presentation, she said she learned from that situation that it wasn't about race, but about helping people. All this happened 24 years ago.

The Racism was the laughter and comments of approval from the NAACP crowd when she said she didn't help the white farmer as much as she could have.

The injustice is the Obama administration forcing her to resign. They could have researched the situation instead of judging her on a sound bite. It seems she behaved wrongly, but learned from her mistake and had a change of heart and action. Haven't we all done something similar?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Shirley Sherrod told the story at a NAACP luncheon. She described not doing all she could for the white farmer and turning him over to "one of his own kind." Later in her presentation, she said she learned from that situation that it wasn't about race, but about helping people. All this happened 24 years ago.

The Racism was the laughter and comments of approval from the NAACP crowd when she said she didn't help the white farmer as much as she could have.

The injustice is the Obama administration forcing her to resign. They could have researched the situation instead of judging her on a sound bite. It seems she behaved wrongly, but learned from her mistake and had a change of heart and action. Haven't we all done something similar?

I agree. This is being spun wrong on the right. I don't like this lady or her world view, but when you listen to the entire speech, you can see her 24 year old story, about an event that ocurred years before that, was about how that event changed her view about race as the root of the problem.

I agree with almost nothing I heard her say, but she didn't say anything racist.

This shows a couple of things, though. First, it's an example of the Obama administrations ineptness. Second, it shows we have them scared.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I agree that it shows that she learned from her past racist views. She does, however, in the same speech, promote class hatred:

(But, she said, his situation ultimately "opened my eyes" that helping farmers wasn't so much about race but was "about the poor versus those who have.")

In many respects, this is as bad as racism. Pitting people who have done well for themselves against, those who haven't.

I am happy that she is out of there. Even if her comments don't appear racist they do promote "class hatred".

The Obama administration uses class hatred even more effectively than illeged racism.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I understand completely what the guy who spliced & diced the video did. But I am completely furious with him.

He should've put a disclaimer out. Wheather or not I agree with the women, or think she deserves the job is moot.

She was wrongly fired, in a most unprofessional manner.

I think the video creater, as good as I see his intention, while deceptive, he should atleast face some Charge of Slander/libel for this.:xmad:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree. This is being spun wrong on the right. I don't like this lady or her world view, but when you listen to the entire speech, you can see her 24 year old story, about an event that ocurred years before that, was about how that event changed her view about race as the root of the problem.

I agree with almost nothing I heard her say, but she didn't say anything racist.

This shows a couple of things, though. First, it's an example of the Obama administrations ineptness. Second, it shows we have them scared.

If you think she didn't say anything "racist", you try getting up in front of a KKK rally (or anywhere else, for that matter) and say about a black person "I sent him over to a black lawyer so he could be helped by his own kind". See what kinds of a "racist" you would be.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If you think she didn't say anything "racist", you try getting up in front of a KKK rally (or anywhere else, for that matter) and say about a black person "I sent him over to a black lawyer so he could be helped by his own kind". See what kinds of a "racist" you would be.

The fact that the other side calls "racist" when it isn't deserved doesn't make their statements racist when they are not, it just makes them hypocrites.

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Did you even read the article you quoted or watch the clip before you let loose a barrage of race-cusations? The fault doesn't lie with Breitbart, he's just another political commentator trying to make a living. The problem lies with YOU.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Did you even read the article you quoted or watch the clip before you let loose a barrage of race-cusations? The fault doesn't lie with Breitbart, he's just another political commentator trying to make a living. The problem lies with YOU.

Who are you talking to?

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    WOW She just got her Job back and a promotion , and the Sec. of Agriculture had to apoligize to her on nation T.V. This seems like another white wash White House job.
    Discreminate against a white farmer --get busted braggin about it , The great one steps in , she get her job back with a promotion . Just sounds like she was dishing out a little payback . :twocents:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I hate to be a cynic, but imagine if this were a white person talking about a black farmer.
    The press would have a field day hanging him/her from the rafters.

Fight fire with fire.

Moreover, it misses the point. Watch the video and listen to the audience, which included NAACP pres. Ben Jealous, CHEER when she said she didn't help the white farmer and sent him to his own kind.

It should also be pointed out that she only helped him at all to cover her own behind in a big lawsuit she was in.
    Shirley Sherrod's Disappearing Act: Not So Fast | Washington Examiner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    The cheering, and parts of the video are definitely disturbing.

But the pretense of the video, editted left a very nasty taste in my mouth. Especially when the agenda of the video was not made clear.

And yes had it been a White guy, he'd probably be in jail for hate crime.

And this, will unfortunately be used to execuse and dismiss actions of suspect by the left in the future, and undoubtedly be used to show Obama as some kind of hero.

Again, the man who editted the video, as well intentioned as he was, needs to face up for this sucker punch, IMO.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The cheering, and parts of the video are definitely disturbing.

But the pretense of the video, editted left a very nasty taste in my mouth. Especially when the agenda of the video was not made clear.

And yes had it been a White guy, he'd probably be in jail for hate crime.

And this, will unfortunately be used to execuse and dismiss actions of suspect by the left in the future, and undoubtedly be used to show Obama as some kind of hero.

Again, the man who editted the video, as well intentioned as he was, needs to face up for this sucker punch, IMO.

Depends, I guess. I'm not 100% sure the video was meant to target the woman.
    The context here is the NAACP started accusing the Tea Party of Racism based on bogus BS. Breitbart turned it around on them and showed a bonafide video of them cheering a woman as she said she was screwing over a white guy. The NAACP and their obvious racism was supposed to be the focus, not Sherrod.

Not the most artful way to do it, IMO, but that was the goal. The NAACP is throwing stones from its very own glass house. That was the point.

The other point it raises in my mind is how retarded NAACP members are on racism. Here is a middle aged woman who is just now figuring out that this sort of attitude is not OK? Really? And it's only not OK because Marx said its about class, not color? WTF is wrong with this woman?

I learned you should treat people the same regardless of color when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. It took her a few decades. There's something really wrong with that.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The context here is the NAACP started accusing the Tea Party of Racism based on bogus BS. Breitbart turned it around on them and showed a bonafide video of them cheering a woman as she said she was screwing over a white guy. The NAACP and their obvious racism was supposed to be the focus, not Sherrod.

Not the most artful way to do it, IMO, but that was the goal. The NAACP is throwing stones from its very own glass house. That was the point.

The other point it raises in my mind is how retarded NAACP members are on racism. Here is a middle aged woman who is just now figuring out that this sort of attitude is not OK? Really? And it's only not OK because Marx said its about class, not color? WTF is wrong with this woman?

I learned you should treat people the same regardless of color when I was knee-high to a grasshopper. It took her a few decades. There's something really wrong with that.

THAT was the stated reason for posting the video; to show Racism within and supported by the NAACP.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

^^THIS^^

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    No Folks I think that here is ONE of the real reasons Sherrod got her job back

http://www.thefoxnation.com/shirley-sherrod/2010/07/21/sherrod-had-just-won-big-discrimination-suit-against-feds

13 million dollars !

The spin they have put on this to turn this into ,Oh that poor women lost her job bah bah bah bah . It doesn't matter 20 years ago 10 years ago or yesterday , as a goverment employee she admitted on camera to discreminated against a person because of the color of his skin .

Fire her.

Top Bottom