• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So the family is looking at getting a Hunting Riffle possibly a 308. From what I am seeing most do not come with sights. So does that mean that you don't have the option of putting iron sights on them? The front runner is a Henry Long Ranger. We have Two Henry's now and I have installed Bulls eye rear sights on them and they are fantastic. Ideally I would like to get the same sight for the new Rifle.

For the most part we would not need an optic for distances that we would hunt at.

Thank you

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Most of your long range guns don't have sights but there are some that do or did. Put a scope on it, will be cheaper than having a gunsmith dovetail the barrel for sights.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Are you set on a lever gun? Both Mossberg and Savage make a bolt gun in .308 that has iron sights from the factory.

We would really like to get another Henry. I am wondering if we might not be better off going with a different caliber that has sights on it. It would be a on private land deer rifle and they are very thick at our place. Most times they would be in the 2 to 3 hundred feet range.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I didn't know anything about the Long Ranger until I went to the Henry website. Great rifle and concept for a light, short range deer rifle. If I was to put irons on it, the rear would be easy, the front sight would have to be sweat soldered on. It would require an experienced gunsmith plus time plus money. I think I would lean toward a red dot optic or a very low powered scope.

Good luck.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Unless 308 is just a must have, For your needs I would just go with a 30 30 with good quality open sights. Henryshould make one for you

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't know how I forgot about the 30-30. I'm just stuck on the pistol caliber carbines I guess.

If I could only have one centerfire rifle it would be my Marlin 30 30. Has a good amount of power, reasonable range for what I would need and only 15-18$ a box and you can find them anywhere.

Good Luck

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    The .44 or .45 LC won't do what you need?

I've read rumors that Henry plans on releasing a Long Ranger with irons at some point. That would be nice, but I'm not sure if it is true or not.
    Honestly I don't know. I have trained with pistol calibers. But honestly I have a lot to learn about hunting rifles and which caliber will suffice. I have never been a hunter etc. But my son asked me if we could go hunting sometime. We are both taking a hunter safety course and I not about to pass up good old fashioned family time. He is 12 I would appreciate any suggestion's.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    After a second look at the rifle you are interested in, I realized the buttstock is designed for a scope. The comb is too high for irons.

As to caliber, that is totally your choice. One of the Long Rangers in a .308 would be a very versatile rifle. If you want it, it will be fine for deer. I think it odd that you ask about sights then get pounded about caliber choice.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I think it odd that you ask about sights then get pounded about caliber choice.

I think that was only because Henry doesn't offer the Lone Ranger with irons, but they do make some other good calibers for deer hunting that do have iron sights (which is what he stated that he wanted on the rifle). I didn't really see anyone decrying his caliber of choice.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think that was only because Henry doesn't offer the Lone Ranger with irons, but they do make some other good calibers for deer hunting that do have iron sights (which is what he stated that he wanted on the rifle). I didn't really see anyone decrying his caliber of choice.

Since the Long Ranger is available in 30-30, it seemed like it.

Top Bottom