• Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    BEOWULF

Do you know the minimum length for the kestrel? I own this one myself. Also I am in the market for a 9mm can but need it for my 9mm(SBR carbine) and my 8.3 300 blk out. I was thinking of a 45 can and maybe a osprey. What are you thoughts you seem to own a lot of NFA items. Sound, weight and length in this order is important to me. was thinking Gemtech (multimount GM-9) silencerco (octane 9 or 45) or a Griffin revo 9. Any input would be awesome!!

The site currently says 11.5". If I recall correctly, it went from 7.5" to 10" to 11.5". There have been reported cases of the can blowing up when being run on shorter barrels (hence the length increase).

I really like my Osprey. It is fantastic on my 1911 and my FNX 45 Tactical, but if you want to run it on carbine, I would probably go with the Octane 45 (I've run that on my MP5 and it was great). I can't speak to the Gemtech or the Griffin as I haven't shot them, but those companies have pretty good reputations. The other thing you might want to consider is looking at something like the Silencerco Hybrid. It won't be the best in any particular caliber, but the fact that you run it on anything from 9mm pistols (though it's a little chunky, but should fine for a 9mm carbine) up through .45-70 rifles, with everything in between, even in full auto, makes it pretty alluring. Kind of a one and you are done. I'm looking at getting one myself, but I will caveat by saying I haven't heard it either, so I can only go with the reported DB and weight levels that I've read.

Nicu757

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Brownsburg
    WOW only 11.5 one would think at least 10?? Thanks for the can input I got to handle a hybrid and just think it too heavy for what im trying to do on my backpack 9mm carbine. I thinking the octane maybe the best way to go. thanks

HuntertownArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indiana
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I own 3 Huntertown cans, a Kestrel 556, a Guardian 9, and a Guardian 22 SS.

I've been disappointed in the Kestrel, not so much in it's performance, but in the fact that Huntertown changed the minimum barrel length multiple times (increasing it), without acknowledging any flaw in the design. To me, that tells me that they didn't do adequate testing to begin with. So, far, it's done an okay job with suppression and has held up full auto fire on my M16, though the finish is toast (I'll point out that the finish was destroyed long before I got my M16, that was pretty much all done from semi-auto fire running mostly on my SCAR 16s and Tavor). It's looking pretty rough at this point.

For the Guardian 9, I don't really have any complaints. It does a decent job suppressing 9mm subsonic, though I was disappointed to find out that they don't support .300 BLK subsonic through it (despite selling a 5/8x24 adapter... what?). But that's fine, I just use my Silencerco Osprey 45 for that purpose.

As to the Guardian 22 SS, I'm just not impressed with the sound. It is definitely louder than other .22 cans I've heard. But, it is full auto rated, so I'll give it a shot on my CMMG .22 upper on my M16 and see how it does. That might be a saving grace.

Thank you for the support of our suppressors. The Kestrel 5.56 has had a minimum barrel length of 11.5" since [STRIKE]the beginning[/STRIKE] fall of 2012, the Guardian 9s are good to go with factory subsonic 300BLK, and the Guardian 22 has been metered by NFAtalk.org at levels on par with or lower than many other rimfire suppressors on the market. Everyone perceives sound levels differently, so the best sounding can to one person may not fair as well to the ears of another. If you ever need anything just let us know. Actually, shoot me a PM with your email address about your K5 when you have a chance.

Last edited:

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    WOW only 11.5 one would think at least 10?? Thanks for the can input I got to handle a hybrid and just think it too heavy for what im trying to do on my backpack 9mm carbine. I thinking the octane maybe the best way to go. thanks

Depending on the powder/bullet being used, there can be a very large difference in muzzle pressure between 10 and 11.5".

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Thank you for the support of our suppressors. The Kestrel 5.56 has had a minimum barrel length of 11.5" since the beginning, the Guardian 9s are good to go with factory subsonic 300BLK, and the Guardian 22 has been metered by NFAtalk.org at levels on par with or lower than many other rimfire suppressors on the market. Everyone perceives sound levels differently, so the best sounding can to one person may not fair as well to the ears of another. If you ever need anything just let us know. Actually, shoot me a PM with your email address about your K5 when you have a chance.

PMed.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Employees don't write the checks. Get it?

How are you feeling about your post now? :dunno:

Hopefully you finally get it?

I contacted the admin regarding becoming a site advertiser and haven't received any info.

I give kudos to you for doing your best to correct a situation that was thrust into your lap. I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't own a HTA product.

I wasn't trying to bash HTA in any way. I was offering advice to help you bridge a gap between HTA and INGO members.

Being a Site Suporter and Advertiser doesn't make all the bad mojo go away but it is a start in the right direction that HTA is committed to INGO.

Keep your head up and continue to take care of customers and things will work out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thank you for the support of our suppressors. The Kestrel 5.56 has had a minimum barrel length of 11.5" since the beginning, the Guardian 9s are good to go with factory subsonic 300BLK, and the Guardian 22 has been metered by NFAtalk.org at levels on par with or lower than many other rimfire suppressors on the market. Everyone perceives sound levels differently, so the best sounding can to one person may not fair as well to the ears of another. If you ever need anything just let us know. Actually, shoot me a PM with your email address about your K5 when you have a chance.
    In any event, even though baffles are known to errode with use, baffle errosion will be covered as a warranty item for the life of the Kestrel 5.56, regardless of the type or length of the host weapon. Baffle / cap strikes may or may not be covered.

This could be where the mixed message comes from?

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI

Here is an archived page of your website that shows differently.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120510212005/http://www.huntertownarms.com/k556.php

Last edited:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    So why did the 22 Guardian drop all calibers but 22lr?

The 22mag and 17 were huge selling points/factors as was the occasional 5.7 guy...kind of stinks that so many people bought them for that purpose and now only 22lr rated.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    When I bought my 5.56 Kestrel I did so with the understanding that it would be warranted for my barrel length. While it was in jail I built my host SBR around it.

It is a shame that one inch makes that much difference in this world as well, especially with slow fire.

HuntertownArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2016
    Indiana
    So why did the 22 Guardian drop all calibers but 22lr?

The 22mag and 17 were huge selling points/factors as was the occasional 5.7 guy...kind of stinks that so many people bought them for that purpose and now only 22lr rated.

That doesn't apply to Guardian 22s shipped prior to January of this year. G22s shipped this year are 3.75 ounces and 22LR only. Past models are fine with the calibers you mentioned.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom