• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    So, just to be clear - you don't think the federal requirements for "inventory control" apply to used guns taken in trade or purchased at the shop for cash?

I can't answer for him but I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was setting up the scenario of what COULD have happened.

I saw reported somewhere over the weekend he didn't steal hundreds of guns, he admitted to stealing something like 7 guns and using someone elses ID to fill the paperwork out, maybe range customers. His money came from stealing and selling accessories and ammo and he used that to buy and sell more guns on the net.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I can't answer for him but I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was setting up the scenario of what COULD have happened.

I saw reported somewhere over the weekend he didn't steal hundreds of guns, he admitted to stealing something like 7 guns and using someone elses ID to fill the paperwork out, maybe range customers. His money came from stealing and selling accessories and ammo and he used that to buy and sell more guns on the net.

Understood. That's exactly why I havn't drawn any conclusions yet.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    A posted comment from Pops Guns over on the news site didn't deny he had the 485 guns, but that he didn't steal the guns....he stole the cash he used to purchase the guns....and then that he falsified the paperwork on the 7 guns mentioned above.

JBLee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Northside Indy Suburbs
    No matter the circumstances the BATF&BOOM will have a field day with Pop Guns, look what they did to Wyatt's..they shut him down over much less than this, or at least it seems that way to me. I know it was one bad guy, and taking down a whole operation because of his actions might be extreme, but if they want something to hang Pop's with they sure have a way in now. It does reflect poorly on the amount of care and attention to detail the ownership devoted to the day to day operation of the store and the BATF is big on that one. On the other hand Gary may have found himself a system that worked for a bit and ran with it..well obviously he did. Justice will be served and the chips will fall where they may. I'm glad that other INGO members were not drawn into this stuff as well. Jim

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    No matter the circumstances the BATF&BOOM will have a field day with Pop Guns, look what they did to Wyatt's..they shut him down over much less than this, or at least it seems that way to me. I know it was one bad guy, and taking down a whole operation because of his actions might be extreme, but if they want something to hang Pop's with they sure have a way in now. It does reflect poorly on the amount of care and attention to detail the ownership devoted to the day to day operation of the store and the BATF is big on that one. On the other hand Gary may have found himself a system that worked for a bit and ran with it..well obviously he did. Justice will be served and the chips will fall where they may. I'm glad that other INGO members were not drawn into this stuff as well. Jim

to be clear, he was picked up for theft by IMPD

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    On a positive note, I was in Popguns today and they have a HUGE amount of new inventory. The gun selection is a little better but they have a massive amount of new accessories - cases and Magpul stuff everywhere.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    On a positive note, I was in Popguns today and they have a HUGE amount of new inventory. The gun selection is a little better but they have a massive amount of new accessories - cases and Magpul stuff everywhere.

I was in there also today, and was told the majority of that product was what Gary had stole, and was going to sell online. They are selling that "new" product at used prices some of which is better than half off. I got an amazing deal on an Aimpoint Comp ML3 with a Arms / Cantilever mount.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I was in there on Saturday and that place was packed. They must have had every employee of the store in there counting inventory and stocking the racks and cases - it was pretty much standing room only on the range and retail store too. I don't think I've ever seen that place so busy - irregardless of whether you like / dislike Pop's, it's good to see local business picking up.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I didn't see this posted yet. Here is a link to the store's side of the issue. Sounds like poor inventory control likely combined with the health issues of the owner and likely other things, allowed this person to run what basically amounted to a huge insider shoplifting scheme. He would steal ammo, some cash on hand, and accessories. He would then sell those items and actually purchased the guns the news claimed were "stolen."

Theft -Family Indoor Shooting Range

On edit: Got my answer after re-reading a few messages. Sounds like a trip to the store is in order.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Wow! After reading the info posted on the store's web site, all I can say is holy :poop:! If this guy really did all they say he did, he's in for some serious time in the pokie.
    I've never been to Popguns, so I can't comment from experience, but it sounds like they did not run a very tight ship if their employee was able to do all the things he was accused of. Plus the thing with the NICS Form 4473s makes me wonder if there were more than just the 7 falsified ones that have been reported and there are guns in the hands of criminals because of it. I'm sure that they attack dogs at BATFE will be checking and rechecking each and every sale that went through there to make sure they were all legit.
    Sucks that the ammo, cash, and firearms will probably never make it back to the owners. I really hate the Federal Forfieture Laws. :xmad:

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I didn't see this posted yet. Here is a link to the store's side of the issue. Sounds like poor inventory control likely combined with the health issues of the owner and likely other things, allowed this person to run what basically amounted to a huge insider shoplifting scheme. He would steal ammo, some cash on hand, and accessories. He would then sell those items and actually purchased the guns the news claimed were "stolen."

Theft -Family Indoor Shooting Range

On edit: Got my answer after re-reading a few messages. Sounds like a trip to the store is in order.

:eek::eek::eek:

Silverado

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Hold on.. Gary? The nice guy with darker hair? And POPS has good prices. WTF

This guy:

GaryWilliams.jpg

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    What a shame. PopGuns really is the victim in this situation and I hope they come out of it okay.

I was a huge customer of their store at 56th & Georgetown when it was open - that was where I bought all of my ammo on my way to ECPR when I volunteered at the range in the late 90s, and I'd guess I've purchased at least 10 guns there. Their prices were always fair and I enjoyed working with Terry - a big, good-natured guy with law enforcement experience, if I remember correctly.

cascadewalker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    This got me thinking about the identity theft aspect of it and whether or not you can find out if and when your ID has been used in the past for a background check by NICS.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    went in today to get a deal, got a Tango Down VFG (no box, reg. 69.99) for $20! Buddy got a NcStar red dot with no box for $10, lots of holsters for decent prices (Saw some fobus for $10, leather 1911's for around 20). They have a bunch of Ncstar/bulldog/condor/insert china brand here cases, backpacks, molle gear, all over the place (looked like they had stuff still unboxed). Tons of cleaning supplies. A bunch of combloc AK mags. Worth a stop if your in the AO and have some time to kill.

Staff was also friendly also. Gun prices still outrageous

Top Bottom