• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    That's just sad. Whoever made that call should be arrested for theft.

Poteat says it "isn't unusual" for his task force to seize bail money under forfeiture laws. "I'd say we've done it maybe eight or nine times this year."

You going to arrest the chief?

"It makes me wonder if this seizing of bail is a new idea getting shopped around in law enforcement circles."

Stay safe out there, citizens. Add another bullet point to your list of dealing with law enforcers. Don't talk to them, record them to ensure honesty, don't call them to your home unless absolutely necessary, and DON'T DEAL WITH THEM IN CASH.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The man in blue is a friend to you....
    Bend over, friend.

its a wonder there is any tinfoil left on store shelves across this great land....

seriously dude, do you ever post anything positive? it must be a dull life swimming in such paranoid negativity.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Poteat says it "isn't unusual" for his task force to seize bail money under forfeiture laws. "I'd say we've done it maybe eight or nine times this year."

You going to arrest the chief?

"It makes me wonder if this seizing of bail is a new idea getting shopped around in law enforcement circles."

Stay safe out there, citizens. Add another bullet point to your list of dealing with law enforcers. Don't talk to them, record them to ensure honesty, don't call them to your home unless absolutely necessary, and DON'T DEAL WITH THEM IN CASH.

I honestly don't see how a competent lawyer couldn't beat this practice silly, for being illegal.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I honestly don't see how a competent lawyer couldn't beat this practice silly, for being illegal.

What do they have to lose? Nothing. Take the money, make you fight it in court. No sweat of the cop's sack. Another trick is to target those who are poor to begin with. You bust a kid in Carmel, his parents are going to have an attorney arrange bail and issue a cashiers check. The process isn't as clean and tidy on 116th Street as it is on 10th Street.

Also note, departments are now demanding cash for bail payments. I am educated enough to know that is bull****. Others, not so much.

Last edited:

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    its a wonder there is any tinfoil left on store shelves across this great land....

seriously dude, do you ever post anything positive? it must be a dull life swimming in such paranoid negativity.

I absolutely do post positive items. Perhaps you missed a number of posts with quotes from our founding fathers.

jdwhitak

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Imagine that! A cop telling us we're paranoid. I see stories and videos posted here and elsewhere about police excesses everyday!!!

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009

scratch a cop find a criminal. mayberry is the only department that is still clean. and im still not sure about barney. i bet otis has some stories to tell.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Imagine that! A cop telling us we're paranoid. I see stories and videos posted here and elsewhere about police excesses everyday!!!
    Yes, you read stories about the stuff that make the news. That's because people never report the "good" stuff that police do. There are how many officers on duty every day, and you read how many stories a day? It's called statistics. Every profession will have a certain number of misfits doing wrong.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Not every LEO is crooked, corrupted, power hungry, and lacking in ethics.

That said, those that are go far towards damaging and destroying those that are not.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yes, you read stories about the stuff that make the news. That's because people never report the "good" stuff that police do. There are how many officers on duty every day, and you read how many stories a day? It's called statistics. Every profession will have a certain number of misfits doing wrong.

I have to respectfully agree with jdwhitak. Civil forfeiture laws are being interpreted more and more loosely. If you've been following the threads on this topic, just a week ago there was a guy in tennessee who had $20,000 in cash confiscated from him. The cop didn't have to implicate it in the committal of a crime, or prove intent to commit a crime, he just had to prove that the man had a fat stack of cash.

The thing is, it's not just the crooked cops that do this that we have to worry about. There are plenty of cops out there that enable the system with tired cliches like, "he's just trying to do his job" or "he was only following orders." Worse still are the cops conscripted in the drug war (almost all cops). Instead of going after violent offenders, cops will invade your personal life and arrest people for doing things that only affect themselves. Since drugs are a matter of one's private affairs, enforcing the law requires all manner of trespass and property violations. Every cop that says (and I think it is nearly every cop that says this) "the law is the law" without looking at the moral implication is just another dirty cop.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Every cop that says (and I think it is nearly every cop that says this) "the law is the law" without looking at the moral implication is just another dirty cop.
    Well perhaps you would like to explain to the relatives of those killed by cartels, dealers, etc over the drug industry's methods that it is a personal decision and doesn't harm anyone. (yeah, yeah, I know...just legalize it. :rolleyes: )

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well perhaps you would like to explain to the relatives of those killed by cartels, dealers, etc over the drug industry's methods that it is a personal decision and doesn't harm anyone. (yeah, yeah, I know...just legalize it. :rolleyes: )

You're being dismissive but if drugs were legalized, how would they differ from other legitimate businesses? When was the last time Microsoft started taking shots at you? If you disagree with a premise then type a rebuttal.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're being dismissive but if drugs were legalized, how would they differ from other legitimate businesses? When was the last time Microsoft started taking shots at you? If you disagree with a premise then type a rebuttal.

Legalization isn't always the answer for everything. I disagree with federal drug laws, but I think that places that want to have a stand for their community, makes such laws legitimate.

Top Bottom