• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You're being dismissive but if drugs were legalized, how would they differ from other legitimate businesses? When was the last time Microsoft started taking shots at you? If you disagree with a premise then type a rebuttal.
    I don't disagree with the premise, however, you're being obtuse. You don't see microsoft ruining lives at the rate that drugs do. Marajuana, ok, you may have a point. What about meth and heroine? Cocaine?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well perhaps you would like to explain to the relatives of those killed by cartels, dealers, etc over the drug industry's methods that it is a personal decision and doesn't harm anyone. (yeah, yeah, I know...just legalize it. :rolleyes: )

While I feel that I could do a serviceable job of arguing this both ways, especially given the conditions before, during, and after Prohibition, the biggest problem I see is that possession of good old legal tender greenback dollars has somehow become considered illegal although I am unaware of any law against having money. If common thieves belong in prison, thieves with badges deserve at least double the sentence for the violation of trust, as do their supervisors who defend them.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Fair points by Kutnupe14, GBuck, and IndyDave1776. My problem with the "self-destruction" argument can be summed up by my stance on seatbelt laws. If I choose to not use my seatbelt, that can be said as self-destructive and short-sighted. If I were in an accident, my risk of bodily injury increases significantly. If I were to make it a habit and my insurance company found out, my rates would no doubt increase significantly.

With all that said, I see no legal or moral justification as to why it is a police officer's business what my seatbelt preferences are. If I am in an accident, my seatbelt decision only impacts my safety, not the safety of occupants of other vehicles involved. As far as I'm concerned, seatbelt laws are all about revenue.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    With all that said, I see no legal or moral justification as to why it is a police officer's business what my seatbelt preferences are. If I am in an accident, my seatbelt decision only impacts my safety, not the safety of occupants of other vehicles involved. As far as I'm concerned, seatbelt laws are all about revenue.
    Again, not true. Having a seatbelt on is statistically shown to improve control of a vehicle after even a minor scrape up against a wall or another car. Momentum will cause you to be removed from behind the wheel even when the accident is not that bad, thus you can no longer control your vehicle and will be more likely to hurt others. With your seatbelt on you are more likely to retain at least some control.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Again, not true. Having a seatbelt on is statistically shown to improve control of a vehicle after even a minor scrape up against a wall or another car. Momentum will cause you to be removed from behind the wheel even when the accident is not that bad, thus you can no longer control your vehicle and will be more likely to hurt others. With your seatbelt on you are more likely to retain at least some control.

That is the party line, but I have an extremely difficult time believing that after an impact sufficient to toss my not exactly slight form out of the seat that there is any realistic chance of maintaining control of the vehicle.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    That is the party line, but I have an extremely difficult time believing that after an impact sufficient to toss my not exactly slight form out of the seat that there is any realistic chance of maintaining control of the vehicle.
    I can tell you from experience that it happens. I was hit in the front passenger side of my car. I was thrown forward and to the left before my seatbelt caught me and brought me back down. If I had not had that belt on, I can promise you that I would not have held onto the steering wheel. (And you know I don't have an exactly "slight form" either. :D )

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I can tell you from experience that it happens. I was hit in the front passenger side of my car. I was thrown forward and to the left before my seatbelt caught me and brought me back down. If I had not had that belt on, I can promise you that I would not have held onto the steering wheel. (And you know I don't have an exactly "slight form" either. :D )

I am going to digress into the lighter side of this issue. I will stand on the notion that it is none of the state's business. That said, the law did absolutely nothing to shape my habits. Tickets didn't do it. Four State Troopers making fun of me in a crowded restaurant about my seatbelt tickets didn't make any change. Finally, the subject came up with my boss's daughter (who has adopted me for a big brother) and she wouldn't let me off the hook until I promised her that I would use the thing from then on. I can't wiggle out of that one! :):

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    579954_381726788529089_133646306670473_985736_398666714_n.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members