How would you like to be treated by law-enforcement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    He still pays the tax. Yes it doesn't leave the pool of money, but it still gets issued and deducted. It would be cheaper if he didn't pay any tax and the money wouldn't get funneled through all the channels just to return to the same general place, but that's government for you. The public safety budget is entirely different than the general fund. By him working, it takes money from the public safety budget and allocates it to him, they then take whatever percent of it back and transfer that to the general fund.
    Yes, accounting gimmicks. I'm trying to explain it to someone that doesn't understand the BASIC principal.
    Here, I'll try to explain it another way. Let's pretend there is one big central "bank account". Now let's pretend every time someone that isn't a public servant gets a paycheck, they deposit a portion of it into the central account. Now let's pretend that every public employee (we'll call them that for the sake of this scenario since you have such difficulty with the word servant) goes to the central account and fills out a withdrawal slip each pay period. When he/she goes to the counter with their withdrawal slip in the amount of what they were told they could take out, the banker then tells them he'll have to give them a smaller amount instead. Which amount was the public employees earnings, the one he put on the withdrawal slip or the amount he actually got from the account? Now let's pretend everyone makes withdrawals and no one makes deposits any longer (everyone works for the government now in this part). Will the account eventually be empty even though each individual took out less than he was told he could at the bankers insistence?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Now that's not to say I'm going to give permission to search or anything like that if I don't think you have a good reason to, but I'm not going to go out of my way to be a jerk either.

Here's the problem, CT. Some officers would see you as the greatest jerk in the world just by you exercising your rights, no matter how polite and deferential you would be in so doing.

Which officer do you have at your car door -- Mr. ChestThumper or Mr. Cordial Public Servant? You don't know until the process is well underway at which point you've possibly gotten behind the curve.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    FIFY

As for your last question, this is the point at which I stop defending the police.

Unless he has some reasonable suspicion to suspect me of some crime then there is no reason to disarm me. The fact that I carry a gun brand that is unfamiliar to most, with factory deactivated/disabled safeties, means my gun takes a bit more care to handle than guns that look similar. I'd hate to see 'officer unfriendly' blow off his big toe because he was unfamiliar with my carry weapon.

For all practical (and potential jail time for you) purposes it's probably better for you that he blow off your toe with your gun instead of his toe with your gun. :)

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I nearly **** my pants at the absurdity of this

They'd have to start for them to cease.
    Really? I see ego stroking in nearly every leo thread on ingo. Every fire thread, every accident thread, every disaster thread......."Oh I'm sooo glad people like you do what you do so selflessly going into that dangerous place just to help people. I don't know what we'd do without such sacrifice made by people like you".......All as if they didn't choose the profession knowing full well what was involved and do it out of shear kindness rather than for a paycheck and special privileges....Then there's the enticing power and control over people....and the false sense of authority.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    My "fixation" was in direct response to ThrottleJockey's statement that I should act like a servant. Maybe it is you that can't get over it.

A steward or retainer is a servant with vast power and authority representing his master's best interests. They are given deference by the public and it is understood when they speak they are speaking in the voice of the master.

In this case it is understood the "master" is the public.

Sounds like a pretty good gig to me. I didn't see in any post by TJ that mentioned serving coffee, but I did see it in yours.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I remember them, they were filled with amphetamines, that's why they went away.

No, they went away because of the name associated with AIDS. The other amphetamine-based pills lasted a few years longer until the FTC cracked down on them.

It was a classical marketing shift that we studied at the time I was working on my masters.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    You are a servant and should behave as one when dealing with individuals that have broken no law nor given you reason to believe they have or are about to. In my statement, I also don't recall pointing specifically at YOU. It seems like you have much bigger issues than not understanding the first thing about money or taxes but I already knew that. I suggest you need to do a bit of soul searching and decide if you really want to continue as a police officer in light of the fact that they exist to serve the people. Would you keep doing it if the constant pats on the back ceased? They will one day soon you know.

I'd have to have a soul to be able to soul-search. And I could give a crap about pats on the back, they are as mythical as the cookies that keep getting promised to me.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Really? I see ego stroking in nearly every leo thread on ingo. Every fire thread, every accident thread, every disaster thread......."Oh I'm sooo glad people like you do what you do so selflessly going into that dangerous place just to help people. I don't know what we'd do without such sacrifice made by people like you".......All as if they didn't choose the profession knowing full well what was involved and do it out of shear kindness rather than for a paycheck and special privileges....Then there's the enticing power and control over people....and the false sense of authority.

Well at least you included firemen in your rant. Those heroes never get talked bad about.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    So how would you like me to serve you? I'm not much of a cook but I am good at washing dishes and cleaning the house.

I didn't see in any post by TJ that mentioned serving coffee, but I did see it in yours.

For being such an intellectually superior person your reading comprehension leaves as much to be desired as my inability to understand 4th grade math.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    For being such an intellectually superior person your reading comprehension leaves as much to be desired as my inability to understand 4th grade math.

Originally Posted by melensdad
    If they reported to individual citizens then we could ask them to bring us coffee when we are sleepy and need to stay awake.
    FRank responded: Apparently there are still some people that think thats exactly what civil/public servant stands for.

If you really want to quibble around the edges on how you particularly phrased things then be my guest. Go for it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Well at least you included firemen in your rant. Those heroes never get talked bad about.
    I actually view all public "servants" or "employees" in the same light, even military personnel. I have a neighbor that is a firefighter and constantly trying to abuse his position attempting to enforce things upon others while committing the same violations himself regularly. He likes to include his LEO buddies in his authority struggle too, using them to harass people with roadside fishing trips. He has no integrity whatsoever and neither do most of the others in his department. Two years ago it nearly cost him his job and he quickly learned his lesson. He doesn't f*** with me any more. There were others in his department that learned a valuable lesson that day too and think twice about doing him any more favors.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY

Sure there are people that appreciate what the police do, but luckily there are "those that do not speak of guns on the gun forum" who arrive immediately to put out that fire. As soon as someone says "hey thanks" there are a select group of individuals who make sure to **** directly on that thanks. From an outsider looking in i would make the assumption that INGO is completely anti-cop rather than INGO handing out pats on the back. I think your'e making a broad assumption that they're doing it for a paycheck, special privileges, control and authority (or false authority).

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    intellectually superior person

intellectually superior person = able to read and understand the dictionary. The bar is set low on this one. Most INGOers would qualify for Mensa memberships.:laugh:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Sure there are people that appreciate what the police do, but luckily there are "those that do not speak of guns on the gun forum" who arrive immediately to put out that fire. As soon as someone says "hey thanks" there are a select group of individuals who make sure to **** directly on that thanks. From an outsider looking in i would make the assumption that INGO is completely anti-cop rather than INGO handing out pats on the back. I think your'e making a broad assumption that they're doing it for a paycheck, special privileges, control and authority (or false authority).
    So then you assert that if the pay, privilege and authority stopped, that they would still keep doing it? If that's the case, I just solved our deficit problem.

Top Bottom