• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jscottcmby29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    When I was learning to fish artificial baits I would only take a variety of one style such as rubber worms and that is all I would use til I was confident I learned the technique . Good luck happy fishing

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I had my first Texas wormed rigged up last week. Threw my line into the water and on the very first cast it hung up on something and it would not move at all. I had to pull really hard to break the line. Since then I've only used unweigted plastic worms because I don't want to lose anymore.

Then I bought myself a spinning reel - Shimano Sahara 2500DF. I have 10lb braid on it. Then I bought a seven food Ugly Stik two part rod.

I've used it two times now and love my new Shimano spinning reel with the braid on. Although the line braid is very hard to see.

Lets say I want to Texas rig a worm again. Is there a way to control the depth of the worm? I mean, lets say I don't want it to sink to the bottom but sink four feet under the surface. How would I make it to that?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Lets say I want to Texas rig a worm again. Is there a way to control the depth of the worm? I mean, lets say I don't want it to sink to the bottom but sink four feet under the surface. How would I make it to that?

Nope. You could use an unweighted worm and only let it sink 4' then pull the worm to the top again, etc.

You would have to have the worm, hook, etc. the same density of the water at 4' to make it stay there. Not going to happen.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I had my first Texas wormed rigged up last week. Threw my line into the water and on the very first cast it hung up on something and it would not move at all. I had to pull really hard to break the line. Since then I've only used unweigted plastic worms because I don't want to lose anymore.

Then I bought myself a spinning reel - Shimano Sahara 2500DF. I have 10lb braid on it. Then I bought a seven food Ugly Stik two part rod.

I've used it two times now and love my new Shimano spinning reel with the braid on. Although the line braid is very hard to see.

when you put the braid on the spinning reel did you use mono backing or tape?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    No, I put the brain on the reel with no mono. Will this cause problems in the future?

People say that it will slip. Ive never had an experience where it slipped when i went straight from braid to reel. However just for insurance i either put some electrical tape around the spool before putting the braid on or ill fill it with enough mono to put a layer on the spool so that the braid bites into it.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    People say that it will slip. Ive never had an experience where it slipped when i went straight from braid to reel. However just for insurance i either put some electrical tape around the spool before putting the braid on or ill fill it with enough mono to put a layer on the spool so that the braid bites into it.

I thought about doing that but this is the first time for me to use braid. So if it does mess up I will live and learn. One thing about that braid - it's often hard for me to see.

I do love my Shimano spinner. No backlashes. I learned how to stop the line going out by putting my hand on the spool. Last time I went to Raccoon Lake I
    was casting towards some bushes that were in water from floods and I could get right up to them. Now I need to learn how to use the plastic worms and other tackle I have.

Can someone use a Texas rig from the shore? Many of the videos I watch on fishing take place on boats, not the shore. Getting my first ever plastic worm with a weight on it stuck and lost got me a little down for a while.

phred

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Columbus
    I thought about doing that but this is the first time for me to use braid. So if it does mess up I will live and learn. One thing about that braid - it's often hard for me to see.

I do love my Shimano spinner. No backlashes. I learned how to stop the line going out by putting my hand on the spool. Last time I went to Raccoon Lake I
    was casting towards some bushes that were in water from floods and I could get right up to them. Now I need to learn how to use the plastic worms and other tackle I have.

Can someone use a Texas rig from the shore? Many of the videos I watch on fishing take place on boats, not the shore. Getting my first ever plastic worm with a weight on it stuck and lost got me a little down for a while.

I don't have a boat and I always have a T-rigged rod with me :yesway:. Getting your bait snagged is part of fishing, it's going to happen, don't let that stop you from throwing your bait close to or in cover. That is where the fish are. I have a few Shimano spinning reels, from Saharas to Stradics, they are nice.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    what kind of weight are you using for your texas rig? It really shouldnt be getting stuck all that easy. And im going to assume the reason you cant see the braid is because you are using really light braid. Depending on the brand of braid youre using it could be comparable to the size of 2lb mono.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Don't get me jealous! :D

I went to Raccoon Lake this evening and finally was able to try a spot I've been wanting to try. I wanted to try using plastic worms with weight so I can yank them across the bottom.

I used my other spinning reel with eight pound mono. Put on a 3/16 led worm weight. I cast it in and let it sink. Then I yanked it and reeled in slack. Did that over and over till I got it back and it did not snag. I was real happy about that. Then I cast it again and pulled it on the bottom and it still did not stag. After a dozen or so times it did stag and thought I would lose it but I pulled hard and it came lose with a thick piece of weed. I noticed it was the hook that was dragging it, not the sinker. So I think I learned an important lesson - I have to make sure my hooks/worms are 100% weedless.

I didn't catch anything though. I didn't even see any fish jump. I was happy though. I used my weighted worm and drug it on the bottom and safely retrieved it many times.

I also used a cool popper. I have to say - the popper I used was fun. I didn't get any bites but it was fun casting it out and yanking it back in letting it splash the water up.

Anyway, it's been about three weeks or so since I caught my one fish. Wish I could catch another one soon. I only want game fish, no bluegill.

I wonder - would twenty pound braid with a fluorocarbon leader be a good set up for plastic worms and bottom fishing?

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Quit " Yanking " it will make you go blind like Mom said LOL! Really just lift
    and Twitch or Twitch and Lift. Don't Yankit only when you feel resistance then Yankit :rockwoot:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    You want an up and down motion with the worm.
    Cast , tighten line , bring pole tip up, then let worm sink, reel in line and repeat.
    It is not about dragging the worm on the bottom.

Worm action should be like a sine wave.

th

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Reel in to remove slack with the tip at a little higher than parallel to the water surface. Then lift to almost vertical. The lift might take you 2 to 3 seconds. (Pause and repeat). Slowly reel the slack in watching the line for a twitch or going slack when it was tightening up.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Reel in to remove slack with the tip at a little higher than parallel to the water surface. Then lift to almost vertical. The lift might take you 2 to 3 seconds. (Pause and repeat). Slowly reel the slack in watching the line for a twitch or going slack when it was tightening up.

+1

For the Op when a bass hits it, it will feel like a telegraph signal, like: - - - -

Give a quick jerk with the pole tip going straight up to "set" the hook. Then reel as you drop the tip toward the water. As you reel, you will know if you have a fish on.

Watch Bill Dance as he set the hook: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j3SmfSSVNc

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Since I'm using 10 lb braid and 8lb mono, would a fluorocarbon line help me much and make a significant difference? I bought some 10 lb fluoro (Spider Wire) last night. It's my first time owning fluoro. I was reading how fluoro is nearly invisible to fish but also it's hard to find the right knot to use.

I have been using my 10 lb braid with 10 lb mono leader. Frankly, I wouldn't ind ditching the leader and only use the 10 lb braid. Would I be significantly at a disadvantage if I only used braid and not fluoro?

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I put on about four to five feet of fluoro (10 lb) on my braid. I used the Alberto Knot. I practiced the Alberto knot first and tried to pull the braid and fluoro apart; wow it was hard to do! What a great knot!

I saw a youtube video by Shaw Grigsby on the best knot to use with fluoro when tying to hooks. I think it's called the San Diego Jam doubled up. I can tie it and when I examined how strong it is, it sure it very strong. The only problem I have with it is that I think it takes me too long to tie and also uses too much line to tie.

So, can anyone recommend another good knot to use with fluoro when tying to hooks that is quick and doesn't waste line?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I usually texas rig or carolina rig with worms. The most basic technique is to put a pinch weight about 14 inches from the worm. just got done catching some nice fish at St. Anthony Conservation Club using berkleys gulp finesse worms.

Top Bottom