• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, a couple comes up to the counter today while I was working on stuff. The dude is, as so many do, avidly checking out all the guns, with wife in tow. Except, she's not looking tired, bored or irritated. She's also looking at the guns a bit, but looks kind of like she's trying not to. I ask if they'd like to look at something, and he says "Naw, just looking, she won't let me buy any guns," and walks off to look at something else. Just being silly, I tell her I'll sell her a gun to make him jealous. She says "What would I do with a gun?" "Target shoot with it, have some fun with it, and maybe you'll have to face a one in a million situation and be able to save your kids' life with it." She nodded, actually looked interested, so I pointed out that a couple of the pink guns she'd been looking at were on sale. Now, she's really interested, and actually wanted to see the gun. We chatted about it a bit, she asked about recoil and such, then turns to hubby and tells him to check out the cute gun (a S&W 642)... which I could tell she actually liked. No, I don't tend to recommend a snubby as a beginner's gun, but if it's what the person likes and gets them interested, I won't turn them off of it, either. MY wife followed the same path into handgun ownership. Anyway, she tells him to check out the gun, and what does boy genius say? "What are you going to do with that? You'll shoot yourself in the knees." Gun was back in my hand in a matter of seconds. She let her boy check out a couple of guns, and they were gone.

No, I don't think she was going to buy today. But she was interested, and he had a chance to keep her that way. As it is, I hope we haven't permanently lost a new shooter, and I wish him luck getting to buy some new guns without much nagging.

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Some people just don't get it!!! Wife's can be our best friend and shooting buddy!!

Uh..now your going to far. If they are shooting with us, how can they clean the house, wash the dishes, clean the laundry, change diapers, wash the dog and so on...so on.

:wrongdoor:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    which INGOer was it? ;)

I did worry about that before posting LOL. But, this wasn't the first thing kind of like this I've seen, and I've only been doing it for four weeks, now. Other times, there are hubbies wanting a gun, and a wife that is clearly interested in her own, but hubby is oblivious. Geez, dude, buy her that .22 I just talked her into, and you'll never have a problem getting to the range again! It seems to me that it's much better to argue over who's turn it is to get a gun, than it is to have to beg and fight to get one at all!! I think sometimes it's a male ego thing, where guns aren't something the little woman should be messing with.

There have been dudes, though, that quickly picked up on the fact that maybe wifey really didn't have a problem with buying guns, just with being left out. Sold a few that way, to what I consider to be VERY smart men. Wife leaves beaming, and hubby is a hero for her for getting her something very cool! It's more than the gun, it's power, and it's being invited and accepted into part of his world, at least according to my wench.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    You're joking, right

I know some of you are joking but I'm here to tell you having your wife as a shooting buddy is worth every ounce of effort it takes to accomplish. My wife has as many guns as I do, shoots better than I do, and loves prairie doggin'. We've been once already this year. I'm going again in June (guy trip) and we're planning on taking our 12 yr old granddaughter when we go back in July. I have no better shooting buddy than my wife and wouldn't have it any other way! :yesway: :yesway:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Uh..now your going to far. If they are shooting with us, how can they clean the house, wash the dishes, clean the laundry, change diapers, wash the dog and so on...so on.

:wrongdoor:

Damn!
    I would have at least put that in "sarcasm purple" to avoid the inevitable verbal assault that will follow if the Ladies see it. :):
    Mike

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Damn!
    I would have at least put that in "sarcasm purple" to avoid the inevitable verbal assault that will follow if the Ladies see it. :):
    Mike

No worries. The ladies will still get the cooking and cleaning and kid tending all accomplished...

AND shoot better than the men and look good doing it. ;)

We're also really good at giving that sweet, teary eyed look and getting new guns out of the deal...making it always the ladies' turn for a new gun, while the guy sits around and waits for his turn to come up again. :D

:ingo:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    One of the things that attracted me to my wife is that she wanted to know if I'd help her 'find a gun' so that she could go shooting with me...I did just that. We still go shooting together today, 7 years later...what a great woman!!! (PS, she recently took over my LCR...and let me have her SP101...she's never gettin' out of that pit...he he!)

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    We (wife and I) have children. She spends much more time with them and home- then I do. This all adds up to me being certian she has a reliable gun that she's trained with.

If your married and don't take your wife's training and personal protection seriously I kinda think you're doing it wrong.

BTW: training (to me) is more than guns and shooting. It's talking about NEVER unlocking or opening the door for ANYONE- even if I'm home, etc.

Guess I'm grumpy this morning but the fact that a lot of so called "sheep dogs" leave their loved ones in "sheep" status is annoying.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I did worry about that before posting LOL. But, this wasn't the first thing kind of like this I've seen, and I've only been doing it for four weeks, now. Other times, there are hubbies wanting a gun, and a wife that is clearly interested in her own, but hubby is oblivious. Geez, dude, buy her that .22 I just talked her into, and you'll never have a problem getting to the range again! It seems to me that it's much better to argue over who's turn it is to get a gun, than it is to have to beg and fight to get one at all!! I think sometimes it's a male ego thing, where guns aren't something the little woman should be messing with.

There have been dudes, though, that quickly picked up on the fact that maybe wifey really didn't have a problem with buying guns, just with being left out. Sold a few that way, to what I consider to be VERY smart men. Wife leaves beaming, and hubby is a hero for her for getting her something very cool! It's more than the gun, it's power, and it's being invited and accepted into part of his world, at least according to my wench.

Did your wench see this post? ;):D

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Maybe he was afraid he was the one who would get shot.

That's no joke
    Take from a guy that was trying to be quiet coming in real late from second shift some years ago.
    The light came on as I was climbing into bed and I was staring down the barrel of a 44 bulldog. She said "you're supposed to call when you are going to be late" , She shut off the light and went back to sleep.

It took me a few hours for the adrenaline to leave my system, but I did learn a lesson:D. I always call now

Top Bottom