How to freeze proof an above ground cistern in a shed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Why do you not want to bury it?

Well, I may not be able to given I only have 3' of soil where it would be located, and then there's rock. Lots of rock. So, it may be $$ to blast through. :dunno: But yes, burying it would be nice, just not sure how feasible it will be.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hell you can keep a small room warm with a 60 watt bulb...

Properly sealed up and amply insulated you can keep an area warm enough to prevent freeze up this way. Not costly at all. You can rig an outdoor stat to turn the light on at a given temp. Super simple.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I'm thinking at least 2500 gallons which is 95" W X 91" H.

The shed would be a 10X10 structure.

I like the aerator idea too!

Where would one find a LARGE tank aerator?

MarineDepot.com has a great selection of everything, and solid customer service.

Drs. Foster & Smith also has a selection, but from experience, their customer service is a hassle if there's anything wrong with it.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    FYI water absorbs heat six times faster than air so you'd really have to insulate the tank itself
    to use a tank heater. Build the shed with 2 x 6 frame and buy a real house door that's insulated.
    Insulate the shed with 6" fiberglass and line it inside with a foil backed foam board.
    Keep the tank out of contact with the ground...there's been several good ideas here.
    I wouldn't heat with lamps unless you can check it a lot. Bulbs go out at the worst
    times and you can't afford a long wait to change them.
    A small baseboard heater would be more reliable and not real expensive. Run it with a
    thermostat at 40-45° f...
    BTW I kept a gallon jug in my car all winter and it never froze. The case of pints froze solid.
    Just saying '...

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    Well, I may not be able to given I only have 3' of soil where it would be located, and then there's rock. Lots of rock. So, it may be $$ to blast through. :dunno: But yes, burying it would be nice, just not sure how feasible it will be.

I was thinking that the cost to rent a backhoe for the weekend might be cheaper than doing all the work to concrete it and insulate and run lamps. Plus you would not be taking up space in a building that could be used for other things. I guess the rock issue would not make that fun.

Endo151

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    If you will have a shallow well pump you may be able to just insulate the tank and then pump in water occasionally to keep the temperature up. Insulate the lines to the tank and exiting to prevent freezing. The incoming water temp would be 52 or so. Have to weigh the cost of pumping versus btu demand to heat. Or find a happy medium.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis

If you can get the base of it 3' under the surface you can run a 12v bilge pump to keep it circulating. Have it enclosed or stack straw bale around it if you are concerned with wind chill.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    If you are keeping it above ground I would definitely insulate underneath the water container, keep it from direct contact with the concrete, and do the straw bales around it. At least keep the wind off the container.

As to keep it warm / not frozen in the winter? Two ideas come to mind.

1. Passive solar heat exchanger. Really depends on how much sun you get. Use the roof to hold the panel, use a small pump to circulate the water through the panel and into your tank. Examples of how that would work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=JRvxHA4AQbc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP8H5IOTwYU&feature=related

2. Wood fired / rocket stove heat exchanger. Same principle only you use wood as the heat source. Use the water tank as a heat sink, heat that thing up inside its insulated building. Have a temperature probe and if / when that thing gets cold. Fire up the stove and pump.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I like the soda can solar heater.

Unfortunately solar is probably not a very good option for me - lots of tall trees restricting sunlight. I'd also be concerned if a limb were to fall on it.

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Safe is a relative term....

AntifreezeandEngineCoolant.jpg

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    We always used heat lamps like you use for brooding chickens to keep the pump house from freezing. It was about 10x10, had the pump and the canister, plus various canned goods, seed potatoes for the next year, etc. We used two and never had anything freeze.

The pump house was 2x6 walls, 6x6 corners, with insulation between every stud and chipboard (OSB I think is the right name for it) for interior and exterior walls.

I'd say keeping the room warm would be easier than keeping the tank warm.

Hopefully your tank is light-proof so any heat lamps wouldn't promote algae growth.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you are keeping it above ground I would definitely insulate underneath the water container, keep it from direct contact with the concrete, and do the straw bales around it. At least keep the wind off the container.

As to keep it warm / not frozen in the winter? Two ideas come to mind.

1. Passive solar heat exchanger. Really depends on how much sun you get. Use the roof to hold the panel, use a small pump to circulate the water through the panel and into your tank. Examples of how that would work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=JRvxHA4AQbc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP8H5IOTwYU&feature=related

2. Wood fired / rocket stove heat exchanger. Same principle only you use wood as the heat source. Use the water tank as a heat sink, heat that thing up inside its insulated building. Have a temperature probe and if / when that thing gets cold. Fire up the stove and pump.

Problem with solar, is that we don't get many sunny days in the winter.

Top Bottom